Need ideas on Mosquito control !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for control in a 12' X 12' area around my chainsaw carving/ firewood lean-to area. Any ideas?

Looking for control in a 12' X 12' area around my chainsaw carving/ firewood lean-to area. Any ideas?

Screen it in? Get one of those cheap gazebo/pavilion things from walmart/lowes with the screen sides?

Bugs in Mississippi are almost always bad. We just use a little Off and keep right on going.

The screen is a good option. You also might consider a fogger. My dad has one of these and seems to be pretty effictive. You just get upwind of your area and let er' rip. The fog will float through the area and take em' out. Not sure how long it lasts. I've only tried it once here.

Another idea is to put up a few fans to move the air around. Skeeters can only handle about 7 MPH. You would probably need to try a few combinations of fans/locations/speed to get it to work. It would also keep the area cooler.

Here's a pic of the fogger I was talking about....

attachment.php

The first thing to do is make sure there is no standing water around.. get'em where they breed. If you have standing water that you can't get rid of, drop some mosquito biscuits in there... they kill the larvae in the water.

I have a junk yard next door and the mosquitoes are a constant problem. I bought one of those propane mosquito traps and it didn't do anything but burn up propane, not to mention the fact that our power is flaky and everytime it would flicker, it would shut off. Just got word today that they're cleaning up the junk to put a double wide in.... I think I'd rather swat at the mosquitoes. :cry: When we bought the house, we had some privacy.. now there will be trailers on 2 sides.

Ian

Last edited:
Another idea is to put up a few fans to move the air around. Skeeters can only handle about 7 MPH. You would probably need to try a few combinations of fans/locations/speed to get it to work. It would also keep the area cooler.

Do not go outside,that should solve your problem:clap:Up at my brothers lake cabin when we sit around the fire at night he has a box fan for himself,it works just fine(plus a dash of deet).During the day stay out in the sun and keep the grass mowed short.Must squits around here are in the woods or tall grass during the day.I have been out in the yard in the sun all morning and not one squiter bite:jawdrop:Now knats are a different story,I think they can fly in 30mph winds:monkey:

Last edited:
Now knats are a different story,I think they can fly in 30mph winds:monkey:

Mosquitoes are fairly weak fliers... hence no bites if there is a decent breeze.

There are also 3 different kinds of mosquitoes that I know of.. the regular tiny black ones that feed in the morning and evening, the Asian Tiger that is bigger with striped legs that supposedly feeds late morning to early afternoon, and the Salt Marsh variety that I hear are the worst of the bunch. I've got the first two.

Ian

they spray here, i go on the website every 2 weeks for the mosquito control and they drive there little truck around my yard and spray. helps, but doesn't get rid of them. but its free. I have noticed that even during the day, if its a real shady area, they are still there. I hate em'

I have been meaning the hang a bat house, there are a lot of bats in our area, love watching them at dusk, but they really help

Home Brew

My wife heard about this mosquito repellant from our "organic" neighbor.

Rather than use bug spray that contains DEET, try putting plain old Listerine mouthwash (full strength) into a spray bottle. Use that instead of the DEET. Works as well, if not better, than DEET. Plus you get that fresh minty smell. We keep a bottle outside in the garage and the kids use it all the time.

Seriously, DEET is pretty nasty stuff. It will melt certain types of rubber and etch many plastics. If you get it on a non-mineral watch crystal, you will be amazed (in a bad way). I prefer to not get DEET on my skin if there is a better alternative.

bats wont do a thing only about 7% of their diet is skeeters everything else is bugs that eat the skeeters. The foggers only kill the skeeters the fog touches and when it blows away its gone so it only works for a little while. skeeter biscuits work on the larvae so they dont help with the current swarm. Up here in MN we have a service called Skeeter Beaters the guy comes around and sprays everything including the stagnant water around and for about 3-4weeks the large majority of the skeeters are gone and anyone from MN can tell you that the skeeters up here are a special breed that can bite through anything including your blue jeans:cry:

"Gigante" o "Uno Commandante" import CIGAR.

Just cross the border (north): Montreal and Quebec City have some fine cigar stores with the oh so forbidden Cuban cigars. Do not declare on re-entering. :censored: Mozzies and neighboors do not enjoy the aroma. Besides, you look cool cutting with a stoggie. :givebeer:

i have one of them shop fans that has a 35 " rotating blade on it stands about 4 feet around weighs alot to carry

with it setting on the ground the top of the fan comes to my weist almost and im 6 ft tall

so i turned her on the other day in the shop them squeters did not like it at all

they seem to have made a home around my shop

since i live out n the country where they are in full force we have a mosquito control place here that sprays almost twice to three times a week the whole area but that dont do very well

wish that the squeters would just become extinct but i doubt they ever will just like termites they keep populating

Latest posts

Back