Need ideas on Mosquito control !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOODYMAN, my brother in law is here and his dad owned the drive in theater in St.Paul, MN. he says that is the same type of bug fogger, that they had. He said they are fun to use, great fun filling peoples's cars with oil smoke and bug repellent mix. He said thank's for the picture it brings back a lot of memories.

Used this one at the campgrounds my parents owned from 1975 to 1983,I sure liked smoking out the campers with it especially the ones that wanted alittle more,after I got done you couldn't see a foot infront of yourself.I grew up in St.Paul,Mn a half mile behind the Ford plant in Highland Park.I hit every drive in in St.Paul and Minneapolis in the 70's early 80's.

Try citronella

I use the citronella candles and torches outside on the deck. Mosquitos are really bad in Florida right now. We've had about 20 inches of rain at my house in the last 3 weeks (some places are over 30 inches) and the mosquitos have gone wild here. The torches work really well. You can buy them at one of the box stores and get 3 or 4 of them as well as some of the kerosene with citonella added to it. This works really well. You would have to be careful about how you hang or mount them and where you put them but I think it would be a good solution for you. Pretty cheap and very effective.

Scott

thermo-cells work well. i hunt in some of the most mosquito-infested swamps and they do a remarkable job of keeping them at bay. they don't work as well if it is breezy, but mosquitos are as much of a problem with a wind.
the butane refills they sell are expensive. as was previously mentioned a refill for a curling iron is much cheaper. there are also website information on how to use a butane refiller to save $$....

I find the mosquito coils work really well, I put out 4-5 spaced about 15' apart in a circle around where I'm working/playing, they get no respect but work really well.

I swear by permathrin and 100% DEET, but got curious about the new OFF brand "Clip on" gizmo and bought two the other day.

I was re-doing drip lines in the swampy section of my field, and seeing as how I havn't sprayed anything but fungicides and bt's so far this year, the Skeeters are bad enough to drive ya nuts, so I gave the Clip on a shot.

I got ate up BAD! On the way back in to get some DEET the stupid POS fell off my belt getting in the truck. The Clip that attaches to the gizmo is a sorry excuse for engineering.

Back up to the Barn, I noticed I had about a dozen or so skeeters in the cab with me, so I figured to try an experiment and rolled down the window.

If the "Clip on" was working, the skeeters would head for fresh air and away from me and the gizmo. So I sat as still as possible and watched the skeeters land one by one and BITE MY SORRY STUPID AZZ instead of flying out the open window a foot away.

I repeated the experiment in my back doorway.
Turned the gizmo on, and stood there with a dozen or so little vampires flying around. Theory bieng that the gizmo makes a cloud of unseen repelent vapor and drives off the skeeters. Nope. One by one the little :censored:'s landed on me and started taking me down a quart.

I gave 6 bucks a pop for the things. I can't remember when I have given 12 bucks to be insulted AND served for some parasites dinner. It's a first.

I spritzed up with DEET and went back out and had no issues.
Sometimes the old stuff still works better!
Save your $$$$ and stick to the good stuff. The Clip on is a rip off!

On another note.
Having the Spray Pilot clobber my field with Immidan or guithion works wonders to keep the skeeters respectfull.;)
There is always some drift towards the barn and yard.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

here in Michigan we just use chain link fence to keep the skeeters out . pisses em off when they get thair needle noses in the holes of the fence .we whack them needle noses with a board and bend em over in the fence so they cant get out of the fence again :monkey:

Even carpet bombing doesn't work up here. like mentioned, running a little rich on the oil doesn't help to keep the skeeters around.

I don't know if you guys can see this, but the dark line in the photo just above the grass isn't an artifact of the photo, it is a cloud of mosquitoes that covered this island that me and my work partner were passing. The original 14Meg photo can show individual bugs, it still gives me the creeps.

I don't know if Alaskan mosquitoes are the worst, but I do know there are lots of them, and the bites seem to itch immediately and with an intensity that is indescribable. I ordered Tridocaine from a Canadian online pharmacy in B.C., best stuff I've found for killing the itch.

No-see-um's cannot be stopped. I've even used 100% DEET, and they will still land and swim around until they drown. DEET won't drive them away like mosquitoes and horseflies. Couple times last year I had a hard time breathing they were so bad. Had to wear a headnet.

The best stuff I've found is Cutter's, around 36%, doesn't need to be more than that, and it'll only last about an hour. Then the bugs start landing again.

So there ya go!

My dad uses one of those propane-powered "Mosquito Magnet" machines and it works great. The idea though is that you need to place it between the source of the mosquitos and the space you want the mosquitos away from. It then attracts and traps them before they get to you. Of course if you're surrounded by forest or water you're pretty much SOL unless you have a bunch of units running around the perimeter.

My dad's catches a complete bag full of bugs in an afternoon at peak mosquito season. Probably almost 2 cups' worth. These machines don't kill the mosquitos, they just lure them in and then suck them into a small mesh bag, and they stay trapped there due to the airflow. Dad just takes an old hair dryer and blows hot air through them until they die, and empties the bag.

Apart from that I was also going to suggest the rich oil mix option. I have an old friend that used to fall trees in northern Ontario years ago, he told me that they did in fact do that back in the day.

I was re-doing drip lines in the swampy section of my field, and seeing as how I havn't sprayed anything but fungicides and bt's so far this year, the Skeeters are bad enough to drive ya nuts, so I gave the Clip on a shot.

Having the Spray Pilot clobber my field with Immidan or guithion works wonders to keep the skeeters respectfull.;)
There is always some drift towards the barn and yard.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

They have actually developed BT's for Coleoptera (Beetles) and Diptera (Flies, Mosquitos) control now :)

Also when you say that you are aerial spraying Guithion, do you mean the active Azinphos Methyl? (its called Gusathion in Australia - very nasty) If so, no wonder you wouldn't have any mosquitos! You'll probably grow an extra nut or have 3 legged children though ;)

I assume you use the Imidan for mites?

P.S. I'm not a greenie, I actually sell the stuff :)

P.P.S. How about avoiding things like DEET and just wear a fly/mosquito net on your head and cover your exposed skin with gloves etc? Thats what I do. We have a nasty mosquito borne disease here called Ross River Virus which is hosted by birds. Knocked a mate of mine off work for nearly 6 months. He still has sore/stiff joints and he got bitten 5 years ago.

Last edited:
My dad uses one of those propane-powered "Mosquito Magnet" machines and it works great. The idea though is that you need to place it between the source of the mosquitos and the space you want the mosquitos away from. It then attracts and traps them before they get to you. Of course if you're surrounded by forest or water you're pretty much SOL unless you have a bunch of units running around the perimeter.

My dad's catches a complete bag full of bugs in an afternoon at peak mosquito season. Probably almost 2 cups' worth. These machines don't kill the mosquitos, they just lure them in and then suck them into a small mesh bag, and they stay trapped there due to the airflow. Dad just takes an old hair dryer and blows hot air through them until they die, and empties the bag.

Apart from that I was also going to suggest the rich oil mix option. I have an old friend that used to fall trees in northern Ontario years ago, he told me that they did in fact do that back in the day.

do they sell them in the usa ?

if so where at

Dry Ice (frozen Carbon Dioxide) is what I used to attract and catch them at Uni. They home in on a few things but mainly the Carbon Dioxide you breath out, and from a fair distance.

Coffee can about 1/2 or 2/3 full of gas, light it and it attracts them to it and burns em up.

Once read where someone recommended spreading Marmite Yeast Extract on ya sarnies, lol.

Apparently you need to eat it fairly regular to keep them blood sucking biting little blighters from sending ya round the twist.

When eaten, your skin excretes something in it that they do not like.

The Aussie version is called Vegimite. :)

To keep them from biting me any strength bug repellent works great for me the weaker stuff just has to be applied more often.But I just cut a 1 1/2 cords on Sunday after lot's of rain and it was +25c during the day the bugs that night in the woods were bad only got bit once through the back of my shirt had I used a spray that would not have happened I used a lotion. I also beleive in the 16/1 ratio fuel mix as I tried it once, I had forgot my gas can with mix in it it was Sept and the bugs (skeeters) were Just as thick as what was posted from are Alaska guy!
I pulled the fuel line off my 68 chev truck and pumped a empty Coke bottle full then eye balled and anded extra10/w30 to my mix the old Mac could care less but the blue smoke kept them away.
This is the first year I have been cutting in the summer I have to say the worst part is Mud and not being able to see as much game as the woods are so green, saw a big black Wolf on Sunday but it was like 2 seconds and he or she was gone.

Once read where someone recommended spreading Marmite Yeast Extract on ya sarnies, lol.

Apparently you need to eat it fairly regular to keep them blood sucking biting little blighters from sending ya round the twist.

When eaten, your skin excretes something in it that they do not like.

The Aussie version is called Vegimite. :)

If that's the fix, I'll stick with the mosquitos, thank you very much! That stuff's like eating tar, and only tastes marginally better IMO.

Skeeter control the N.H. way.
have to stake down the traps tho,they got strong wings.
Then we skin em and use the fur to make winter gloves..

Latest posts

Back