Need ideas on Mosquito control !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bats wont do a thing only about 7% of their diet is skeeters everything else is bugs that eat the skeeters. The foggers only kill the skeeters the fog touches and when it blows away its gone so it only works for a little while. skeeter biscuits work on the larvae so they dont help with the current swarm. Up here in MN we have a service called Skeeter Beaters the guy comes around and sprays everything including the stagnant water around and for about 3-4weeks the large majority of the skeeters are gone and anyone from MN can tell you that the skeeters up here are a special breed that can bite through anything including your blue jeans:cry:

my mom is from mn and wisconsin area she said they are like airplanes out there if i find that post card she has stored in a photo album i will take and scan it and post it says that its the state bird lol

Home Brew
My wife heard about this mosquito repellant from our "organic" neighbor.

Rather than use bug spray that contains DEET, try putting plain old Listerine mouthwash (full strength) into a spray bottle. Use that instead of the DEET. Works as well, if not better, than DEET. Plus you get that fresh minty smell. We keep a bottle outside in the garage and the kids use it all the time.

Seriously, DEET is pretty nasty stuff. It will melt certain types of rubber and etch many plastics. If you get it on a non-mineral watch crystal, you will be amazed (in a bad way). I prefer to not get DEET on my skin if there is a better alternative.

i tell you i will try that myself i thought it was half water and half listerine

no wonder it wont work

i had water mixed in

Last edited:
Mosquitoes are fairly weak fliers... hence no bites if there is a decent breeze.

There are also 3 different kinds of mosquitoes that I know of.. the regular tiny black ones that feed in the morning and evening, the Asian Tiger that is bigger with striped legs that supposedly feeds late morning to early afternoon, and the Salt Marsh variety that I hear are the worst of the bunch. I've got the first two.

Ian
ian i think we have the salt marsh type here they are huge in size looks like a airplane almost we also have them giant mosquitos hawks here too

i normally let them go cause i heard they go after the smaller mosquitos

New a old guy back in early 70's had a mosquito repeller, with a brass tube with a brass reservoir that held fuel oil. You attached these to your exhaust and the fuel oil got hot dripped down, smoked and exhaust pressure would blow smoke all over. He had one on his lawn mower, chainsaw, and tiller. This was some ones crazy idea. They used to fog the drive -in movies with a fuel oil pesticide mix in a large heated blower type bug fogger, no wonder all those kids conceived in drive in's in the 70's were messed up.

Thermacell!

The thing that I know will work is a Thermacell. Located in the camping aisle at Walmart, or online anywhere.

Uses a butane cartridge to heat up a little pad doused with some kind of miracle drug. I use it bow hunting, fishing- just about anything outdoors. As long as you are stationary in the 15' zone, they work great!

Refills are pricey, but worth it to me. Uses the same butane refills as portable curling irons my wife says, so maybe that would be a little cheaper.

They make a lantern type as well which would look nice on a porch, but I have the green portable one.

Reviews can be found about anywhere, but there is a ton of info on archerytalk.com if you would like to read.

Best $25 I have ever spent!

Big powerful air moving fan. If you would even think about putting the fan in your house it is probably not big powerful enough. No skeeters, no fumes, the dust settles in the neighbors yard, and you stay cool and dry.

If I have to sometimes I use a couple of old big furnace blowers.

Do not forget to check your gutters, down spouts and drainage for standing water if they are really bad around the house.

Ever heard of using dryer static sheets with fabric softener?

Rub them on your skin and then throw a few in the pockets...

I almost forgot about the old campgrounds fogger in the shed,you won't believe this thing.It sounds like a jet engine.I will go get some pics right now and explain more about it.I have to restore it someday.

Get yourself a Homelite Zip and just let it sit there running at an idle, it runs 16:1 should solve your problem.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Screw the static sheets,stuff one of these in your pocket:jawdrop:
attachment.php
This thing is louder than a chainsaw,sounds more like a jet engine.It has two tanks,one for gas and one for fogger stuff or what ever you want to put in it.That thing on the end is the carb,you fill the two tanks up give it a few pumps on the top pump to build up pressure then you open up the gas on the carb and hit the button on the battery box and it takes off with a roar.When it warms up and it does get warm you pull the lever on the top right below in the middle of the pump handle.You would not believe the smoke this thing puts out.Did I mention it's very load:clap: There is no rust on it,most of it is aluminum.It's going to be a project one of these days:chainsaw:

"Gigante" o "Uno Commandante" import CIGAR.

Just cross the border (north): Montreal and Quebec City have some fine cigar stores with the oh so forbidden Cuban cigars. Do not declare on re-entering. :censored: Mozzies and neighboors do not enjoy the aroma. Besides, you look cool cutting with a stoggie. :givebeer:

That was going to be my suggestion. Not Cubans, unfortunately, unless you're made of money, but a cigar is the best mosquito repellent. The smoke goes downwind, the mosquito catches it coming upwind, and has to sit down for a while. Perfect for fishing.

Jack

WOODYMAN, my brother in law is here and his dad owned the drive in theater in St.Paul, MN. he says that is the same type of bug fogger, that they had. He said they are fun to use, great fun filling peoples's cars with oil smoke and bug repellent mix. He said thank's for the picture it brings back a lot of memories.

WOODYMAN, my brother in law is here and his dad owned the drive in theater in St.Paul, MN. he says that is the same type of bug fogger, that they had. He said they are fun to use, great fun filling peoples's cars with oil smoke and bug repellent mix. He said thank's for the picture it brings back a lot of memories.

are you near oshkosh or omro or abbotsford withee owen curtiss areas ?

When you get around a salt marsh in New Jersey, you will know it.

I was sick for a week after one trip to the Exxon refinery at Elizabeth, NJ.

I came in early in the wee hours one morning & laid over on the dog house for a nap.

When I woke up I was ate alive from the damn things.

I was in a hotel bar in Rifle, Colorado a few years later & people were talking about how bad skeeters were in Alaska.

When the bartender spoke up & said nothing is worse then Elizabeth, NJ, I had to agree with him.

Get a Skeetervac sv3100. Mosquito Magnets are very unreliable machines, but the Blue Rhino Skeetervacs run flawlessly. The mosquito magnet octenol attractant is better though, but it does fit in the SkeeterVac.

This a tonic from a guy on the web who is known for using organic solutions.

Buzz Buster Lemonade: 1 cup of lemon-scented ammonia and 1 cup of lemon-scented dishwashing liquid in a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, filling the balance of the sprayer jar with warm water. Apply to lawn. Repeat this treatment 3 times a week in the evening.

Latest posts

Back