need more info on this saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not knowing much about the smaller Sthil saws, I inherited an 039. I found the saw is a little over 64cc, but what I think would be bigger saws are less cc's in the Sthil line. Is this an odd ball and can I get parts for it if I ever need them. Thanks
Dave:confused:

The 039, which is now the MS 390 is a good saw parts-wise. It's the big brother in the 029/290/310/039/390 series. They're all the same chasis, with differing bores. Everything else matches up, so if you need a new handlebar for it, you can find a handle bar for an 029 on ebay, and it'll mate up.

I wouldn't call it an oddball, so much as it's a saw without a niche. Most homeowners don't need a saw that large, and if they do, they usually opt for a 361 or step up to a 440, but at more $$. So for a guy that might need 4+ hp around the house or property, but wants to spend less than $500 out the door, it fits the bill nicely. And in it's intended role, it's a fine saw.

Jeff

Back