Need my first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svanderploeg

Reaction score
Hey guys(and gals),

I'm looking to get my first saw. I don't cut a lot but am going to help my dad with his fire wood, and possibly some side jobs. My dad has a stihl 028 super and has been a great saw for him and I've used it a lot. I'm wanting to go with a stihl myself. I want a bit bigger saw for the bigger jobs that his would struggle with, his bar is 16" i believe. I'm looking at the ms290 farm boss. But from my research it's not too well liked around here. I found a "used" but never used ms261 for only $100 more than the 290. Both have 20" bars

My question is....Is it worth the extra for a smaller CC pro saw? The HP it dang near the same.

Like I said I'm no where near an expert and really won't use it everyday or week for that matter. Like most people, money is relatively tight, but also don't want to be unhappy by going cheap.... Thanks in advance

The 261 is a good saw and I would recommend it over the 290. I think it will stand up better over time and be nicer to use than the 290, less bulky and easy handle. Same HP is one thing, less weight and better ergonomics is another and is what separates those saws. I guess it depends on how much bigger you think you'll need and how much you want to pay for it. I can't see needing any more than 60cc given what you've said. That size saw will cut up a big hunk of wood, bigger than most homeowners will cut. Pro saws are great, but they are much more expensive than a mid-range/land owner type saw. It doesn't sound like you're going to use it all that often, help out your Dad occosonially. If you buy new, do you want to pay $700 for a pro 60cc machine?

I understand your afinity for Stihl products; I'm a Stihl man myself, but don't let your affinity blind you into only believing that a Stihl will do. A Husqvarna 359 sounds like it could be good fit for you as well, don't know anyone that owns one of those and has said anything but great things about them. Direct Stihl competitor to the Husky 359 is the MS 311. All saw manufactures have produced good saws, but they also all have produced terds. Don't forget Jonsered (basically Husqvarna), Echo and Dolmar, all good stuff.

Welcome to AS, hope this helps,

Adam.

For substantially less money, and fairly well regarded, have you considered the Poulan Pro PP5020AV? I really like the service mine is giving me, and you may find, for your purposes, that one of them works just fine, too.
check out the following for a pretty serious breakdown and critique of the machine. Granted, this does not keep me from salivating over the Husqvarna 562xp, but it is a decent compromise for me for right now.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm

What about a used 034/036? My 034 could really handle 99% of the cutting I do.. I just like saws too much. My 034 seems to out cut my dad's 039, and is a lot lighter. Handles nicer too, better balance. It's wearing a 20" bar, and is damn hard to slow down.
I have actually found myself using my little homelite most of the time, it is just so handy to have a small, very powerful, 9 lb saw. Ultimate fence post cutter. Super EZ, keep your eye out for one, mine was free, not worth too much. One of the best used saw values.

Hey guys(and gals),

My question is....Is it worth the extra for a smaller CC pro saw? The HP it dang near the same.

I find it's generally worth getting an older used saw that needs a little work and fixing it, or the best pro saw you can afford. Getting a new non-pro saw doesn't give you the cost-effectiveness of an old poulan or the pride and performance of a new hot saw you will keep for generations.

Go big or go cheap!

I saw an 036 on Craigslist for $300 that, just by the pictures, looked pretty rough. The 261 I found is $500 with no fluids even put in it yet. $500 is really the most I'd like to spend.

I am leaning to the 261....will this do more/bigger jobs than my dads 028 super?

Thank you for all the responses....I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys with many more questions before I buy one.

I saw an 036 on Craigslist for $300 that, just by the pictures, looked pretty rough. The 261 I found is $500 with no fluids even put in it yet. $500 is really the most I'd like to spend.

I am leaning to the 261....will this do more/bigger jobs than my dads 028 super?...

New MS261 with a warranty costs $560. Consider paying the extra $$ to get the warranty or offer less money for the CL saw.

The saws are probably equivalent in cutting ability. If you want more power, check out the MS440 in the arboristsite auction for $450. Doesn't have a decompression valve on it, though, so you best be plenty big and strong or you won't enjoy starting it.

If you're ordering grapple loads of wood as I do, you know never know what may come off the back of the truck. That is why I have a 60cc pro saw. The 261 will definitely pull stronger through the wood than will your Dad's 028 and will handle probably just about anything you will throw at it, but you get a 3' diameter piece of oak (unlikely) off the back of the log truck and you may wish you had something stronger. The 261 pulls a .325" pitch chain very well, as well as or better than any other saw out there, but it will bog down with 3/8" pitch, so I think I would avoid that. If you're cutting a good bit of big wood, then you'll want the speed of the 3/8, but that means you'll be needing 4 HP (60cc's and that is not a hard rule) or more the pull that chain effectively.

nmurph has a nice lookin 044/440 in the classifieds...........not sure if its still there, but worth a look.

Stihl 044 my choice, (possibly even a MS361). I'm heading out tomorrow to a neighboring county to cut a big water oak up that is down. I'm taking the 044. Take the 044 you won't be sorry!

Back