Need new saw....Which to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willdog2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey people....My trusty rusty poulin has died, actually the plastic case stripped out around the bar studs and I have retired it.

My needs are not too large but I occasionally tackle 12"+ trees and put in a fully day "in the woods"....However mostly my cutting is falling small trees and limbing. So I guess I am looking for the elusive light/powerful saw....

Oh and while I give all my gas powered tools the necessary TLC it would be nice to have a saw that was rugged and could thrive on neglect!!!

I was sold on the Makita 401 and found a new one on ebay for $199...Super deal right? Wrong! Buddy is anti Canuck and won't ship it to Canada. "USA ONLY!!!" was his reply to my query. I guess that 1 extra form at the UPS store was too much for his brain to handle!

Anyhow here are the ones I have looked at:

Makita 401
Dolmar 510
MS 180
MS 210
MS 250
Husky 345/350

Please rate these saws as per my needs (price, weight, power, reliability). Also any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dolmar 5100
Husky 346XP or 353
Shindaiwa 488 or 490
Stihl MS260 or MS250

These saws are all around $400 and will suit your needs perfectly. They will also last you a lifetime if properly maintained.

Don't mess with consumer grade stuff - you truly get what you pay for! An extra $100 will get you twice the saw.

Husqvarna Or Dolmar

how do

depends on how much you want to spend.

dolmar 401...$275.00 us...i have one and like it better than my 142 husky.
i just ordered a backup 401 so i can get the first one muffler modded.

dolmar 540...$330.00 us...will probally be the next dolmar i buy...a lot of cc for the weight

husqvarna346xp...around $425.00...a real screamer...i have 2...gonna muffler modd both of them.

stihl saws...very popular...are they the best for the money...kinda like pickup trucks and women...gotta try them out to see what you like the bestest.

talcott

Last edited:
I guess there is no clear cut #1....If there was there would likely only be one saw manufacturer I guess.....

Are Dolmar's as reliable as Stihl and Husky saws?

Dolmar 5100 is the saw everybody here raves about.

Given your usage and price range, I'd suggest a 346xp, or even less expensive 353 Husky.

I would avoid the Stihl MS 260, but dealer support is a factor. It is not a bad saw, mine seems bulletproof. Just a little less smooth, more of an older design.

Looking back, if you could spend $500US, I would get a 357xp. I am very impressed. Not much heavier than the aforementioned, and it will pull a 16 or 20" bar. It really rips with a 16" bar.

Do you really want or need a "Pro" saw? If you want one to last ten to twenty years, spend the extra dough. But from you're own admission, it doesn't sound like you might not take that good of care of it.
For non por saws, I would recomend the MS 180, and the Husky 350, I don't think you can beat that saw for the money, but I am biased.
On the pro side, I would hold off a bit on a Stihl and see what the 261 might be like, the Dolmar 5100 and a Husky 353 would be good to look at.

You are right I don't "need" a pro saw but I need something reliable and it must have longevity. I was at the local Stihl dealer today and liked the MS 180 but for $100 more I can get into a MS 260.....Is the 260 worth the extra dough?

Any thoughts on the most reasonably priced online vendors?

You are right I don't "need" a pro saw but I need something reliable and it must have longevity. I was at the local Stihl dealer today and liked the MS 180 but for $100 more I can get into a MS 260.....Is the 260 worth the extra dough?

YES, the 260 is worth it.

Check the "Sponsers Section" here at AS.

260 is definately the better saw.:cheers:

From the original list in post 1, there is little doubt, just get the Husky 350 - and be happy.....:blob2: :blob2:

The Dolmar 510 is a good design, but too heavy for its power, and the Stihl MS250 is just an old and inferior design.

Second choise would be Husky 345.

Last edited:
Get the 350

I spent many hours on this sight and going to dealers. I am a homeowner and wanted a saw that could handle most jobs. The Husky 350 fit the bill. It has the least vibration of any of the saws you are looking at. That makes a big difference when you have lots to do. It starts every time and is easy to maintain.

I work for a Swedish company and on one of my last trips I asked the guys there about the 350. They told me it works great even when misused. It is one of the lightest easy to use in it class. It is basically the same as the 353 except the 353 has the magnisium jug.

Save the extra money you save when buying the 350 and get some chaps, wedges, case, helmet with ear muffs and face shield. You will not be sorry to own a great piece of Swedish engineering. (Yes the 350 is made in Sweden)

The guys on here have great knowledge and experience. However, they will have you buying enough equipment to be a logger in no time.

Thanks for all the advise guys!

I went for the Husqvarna 350, ordered it up this afternoon. I can't wait to get it and put her to work!

Great reply huhnchadd! It was nice reading that after I made my purchase!

Thanks for all the advise guys!

I went for the Husqvarna 350, ordered it up this afternoon. I can't wait to get it and put her to work!

Great reply huhnchadd! It was nice reading that after I made my purchase!

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure that you'll be well satisfied.

I think you made a very wise choice, and you should be very happy with it for many years!! As I said, I have been unable to kill mine yet.

Back