Need some advise from the experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here, I blundered onto this site yesterday while net surfing trying to help my neighbor choose a saw.
Here is the situation. My neighbor is soliciting my advise regarding whether to buy a Stihl or Husky. He knows I have owned both, so to his way of thinking I'm the expert.
I bought a new 262XP Husky around 8 years ago, it was a great saw and I was very pleased with it. Unfortunately, my Husky burned up in a brush fire last year. I replaced it with a Stihl 044, I am well satisfied with this saw as well, however, if I had it to do over again, I am not sure if a 372XP Husky may not have been a better choice. My 044 does not seem to be one bit hotter than my old 262XP, even though it is 10cc larger. Can't help but think a 372XP would cut rings around my 044, based on my experience with it's little brother.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Stihl 044 vs. the Husky 372XP? The saw will be used primarily for cutting firewood, we're talking about a lot of firewood though. My neighbor and I both do most of our heating with wood, we probably go through at least 10 - 15 cords per year each. I have been cutting this quantity of wood for the past 15 years or so, used an 031 Stihl before my 262. A saw in the 60cc - 70cc range seems to be the optimum size for this application, and my buddy has pretty well narrowed down his choices to the 044 or the 372xp. I am advising him to base his choice on price, and to go with the Husky if the prices are equal. Is this sound advise?

I'd go with the 372XP.It is a great saw.I got the 371XP and love it.I believe the Husky spins at a little higher rpm than the Stihl also,which gives it a slight advantage.They both are great saws though so it would depend on what your friend likes.

Welcome aboard Farmboy ! Yes you will find out the experts' opinion here but I would go with your 'gut feeling' on this one and get the 372 . I know they out-power the 044 and should cost less . I have a logger friend who gave up the 046's and went to the 372 and never looked back ! No regrets and less maintenance . The only other alternative would be the 2071 Jonsered which is the same as the 372 but should cost even less . This should be a good discussion ! ...Jon

Farmboy , when you have decided and it is time to run it , take Gypos' advise . To do this you must read the thread by wolfcsm (Hal) 'first day with a new 066' . John (the logging guru) Lambert tells you how to break in a new saw. Mind you , his word is gospel ,,,it is written . Jon

I think you are telling farmboy to take advice from himself "Gypo".
10 to 15 cords burned a year for heating purposes in Georgia I don't think so.

Gypo isn't farmboy. You can take that to the bank. I'm not farmboy either, so you don't have to speculate on that tangent.

I'm normally a stihl fan, but the 372 XP is one of the best saws in the world. I wouldn't say it outcuts the 046, but it does out cut the 044 in my opionion. Since the 372 XP is lighter, and likely cheaper than the 46 that's what I recommend. (I don't know what your local dealers are). Either the 372 XP or the 046 could easily cut 10 times what you are cutting per year and still last you for years if you maintain it well.

north Georgia

Farmboy, where are you at in north Georgia? I grew up between Gillsville and Gainesville in Hall county.

Thanks for all the advise! I'm going to stand by my earlier recommendation to my neighbor - 372XP unless significantly better price on the Stihl. I will however, have him drop by & check out all the advise here in this thread (he's not on line).

My2cents: Believe it or not, it does get pretty cool here in north Ga. I'm in the foothills, the elevation is around 2000'. It's 33 degrees out right now with around one inch of snow on the ground, temps have been in the teens/twentys at night for the past week or so. We have burned over half a cord in the last week alone. 10 - 15 cords per winter is no problem at all. As I mentioned, I like to cut wood, and we do nearly all our heating with wood.

armyguy: We are in Pickens county, about 50 miles west of Gainsville.

Hi Whistler, I know it may sound strange, but they do produce a lot of fuelwood in Georgia and alot of timber as well , as does Miss.. It is funny how the wood with the most btu's grows in the warmest climates, such as Orange trees. And we all know how frost can kill a whole crop.
Farmboy, I have three new 362XP's here now. They are discontinued. Does 525$ delivered sound ok, with a 16" bar and chain?
John 905 702 8357 ( wont be back till Tues Feb 11th.)

CS62

Check out the Deere CS62 at chainsaws4u.com for under $400. Got the snot of a 362xp or 365 or better with a 12.4 lb powerhead weight. Efco makes the saw for JD. They seem well built. People here have said the power claims are realistic. A local pawn shop has a CS56 like new for $150. Looks like somebody cut 1 limb with it. Anybody want it? I can't justify buying it, but I'd like to try it out.

John is right about timber in Georgia and Mississippi and matter of fact the largest hardwood sawmill(most production)in in the world is located in MISS. Anderson Tully Hardwoods.

I am just teasing there Hermann. As I was in my first response.
This site reeks of experts, I just want to harrass them a bit.
They know who they are. Or maybe not.........

Farmboy, 10 to 15 cords of wood is way to much for north Ga. What you need is a damper in your pipe. Also maybe a good gasket around your door. Even up here we burn only 7 to 10 cords with the stove going darn near all the time.

Update: My buddy bought a saw! He basically ignored my advise, as well as everyone's here in this forum. He bought a Husky 365 with 20" bar, paid $499 plus tax.
We cut a little wood this weekend, here are my impressions: The 365 is definately not as hot as my 044, and if memory serves, not as hot as my old 262XP. It is a fine saw though, and I am sure will serve my buddy well, he's very satisfied so far.
He and I are different presonality wise, I'm the type who has to have the hottest saw for the given size/weight, I could never bring myself to get a 365 when I know I can have more power for the same weight with the 372, or Stihl 044.

Gypo, your 362 deal sounds good, but my buddy had already plunked down the $499 for his 365 by the time you posted. Regarding the 262xp, 362xp, and 372xp, what are the differences? They appear to be basically the same saws, the only obvious diference being the 372's extra displacement.

Latest posts

Back