Need some coaching on an 038 Super 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAOLE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the site! Was gifted this around the holidays and just got it out this past weekend. Seemed very torquey compared to a newer farm boss I ran a month ago. It’s got a 20” bar on it. Not too familiar with the older stuff. I did own a 064 for a short time years ago, but it was overkill for what I do with saws so I traded out of it.

I can’t seem to find much info on this saw in general, if anyone can learn me up on the specs or years these were made that’d be nice, I’d like to keep this one around and should start looking for spare parts.

Attachments

• 81951ADA-CD01-4030-B30F-F6AC24D91E66.jpeg
    81951ADA-CD01-4030-B30F-F6AC24D91E66.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 410A63A2-4C38-4B8C-95D2-7680B7346612.jpeg
    410A63A2-4C38-4B8C-95D2-7680B7346612.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
New to the site! Was gifted this around the holidays and just got it out this past weekend. Seemed very torquey compared to a newer farm boss I ran a month ago. It’s got a 20” bar on it. Not too familiar with the older stuff. I did own a 064 for a short time years ago, but it was overkill for what I do with saws so I traded out of it.

I can’t seem to find much info on this saw in general, if anyone can learn me up on the specs or years these were made that’d be nice, I’d like to keep this one around and should start looking for spare parts.
You must be a "SPECIAL" kind of person to be gifted your saw. That is one nice looking saw and I don't know much about that model saw. YOU and your saw should be in the "YOU SUCK" thread.

I didn’t realize what that sticky was about, definitely looks like I’m in the wrong place. This stihl was one of my grandfathers saws, he has been getting rid of his toys and firearms pretty extensively the last few years.
Cool story behind it, he had just finished building his house at the time 93-94. New neighbor of his saw his lumber rack off of his pickup beside the house sitting, walked over with this saw and an Alaskan malamute puppy and that was it.

I didn’t realize what that sticky was about, definitely looks like I’m in the wrong place. This stihl was one of my grandfathers saws, he has been getting rid of his toys and firearms pretty extensively the last few years.
Cool story behind it, he had just finished building his house at the time 93-94. New neighbor of his saw his lumber rack off of his pickup beside the house sitting, walked over with this saw and an Alaskan malamute puppy and that was it.
DOGS have the strangest way to a fellas' heart

WRAP HANDLE and your grandpa gave it to you. better than winning the lottery.

Got something similar but not as awesome - 038 came as 60cc (farm boss avs) 67cc (038 super) and 72cc (038 magnum) according to the wise old heads around here. I thought I had a farm boss myself, then tore it down and measured the cylinder and either someone swapped a super p&c onto it or replaced the top plastic with that from a farm boss. not sure how long they were made or first year but it was the 1980's and they kept making them in Brazil

Nice saw! That wrap handle is rare; wish I could find a few for my 038 Magnums.

Anyway, these are fantastic saws, just a bit heavy compared to newer models. I'm not a huge fan of the air filter, either.

20" bar is about right for it, depending on what you're doing. Should be fine with up to about a 24" bar, if needed.

You suck!!!

Great old saws. That one looks in great condition, bar nearly new.

Go over it (rubber parts/hoses/spare carb kit) as some parts from Stihl are starting to dry up, but plenty of used, and some aftermarket are acceptable. Look for a parts carcass.

Welcome to AS! attachments are a present from fellow 038 owner

Attachments

• 038_workshop_manual copy.pdf
    17.6 MB · Views: 19
  • Stihl 038 IPL new.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
I recently bought a handfull of parts for my 038M. The dealer could get everything I needed except the rubber carb manifold boot. I found a NOS one on Ebay.

My saw has clearly been put-away-wet a lot more than yours.

Roy

Copy all the helpful information. So this thing is essentially a super with a cool handle option, right on! Seems like it would shine in some second gen reprod. Thanks for the help I’ll try and start compiling a box of spares after a good peak.

Get a couple extra stock air filters. A spare stock control rod. Good impulse line, fuel lines, good in tank filters, carb kit, good fuel and sharp chains.you might change the spark plug wire and boot if they are hard or cracked.

With those parts it will make you smile for many years.

you now have the manuals in an above post to keep it going.

and as others have said you suck even if your grand dad thinks this highly of you!

enjoy the saw!

Back