Need some direction of choosing a Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cinko

Cinko

City Slicker Hacker
Just picked up some property in Virginia (along the west va boarder) and I am looking to take down a small portion of one of the lots for a future build. In the whole area I really only need to clear about 10-12 trees, the rest are less then 4" or brush, but those 10-12 are decent size, maybe 10-16 diameter, 40'+/- height.

I'm looking for a used chainsaw in the 120-200$ dollar mark, I know that's pretty minimal but I'm not really looking something to invest in long term, just to get this particular work done if possible.

Im not dicing these up for fire wood, just need to get them small enough to load in my truck, so if figure no more then about 8-12 cuts in each tree.

I saw the trading post, but to be honest this is all new to me and I am not sure what I am evening looking for, there's post all over eBay in that price range, even new, but I don't want to toss my money (no matter how little) at a Chinese knock off that wont get me through 2 trees.

So first off any recommendations for minimum engine size (cc or hp) will the 42's do the work? or do i need 50-60? it is more reliant on the manufacture with how good it works?

Any direct links to some for sale in that price range either on here or abroad?

Anyone want to toss a timeline out that I might expect to try for? Would getting 3 or 4 trees chopped down in a full day be unreasonable, I would love to get this knocked out in 4 weekends or less if possible.

I have little experience with chainsaws as its been a few years since i had to use one, I am however no novice to small engine work, so I am find with an older carbureted model if I'll get more bang for my buck that route.

Also any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

Cinko

Cinko

City Slicker Hacker
Let me just add a few things i am looking at right now, and maybe someone can yay or nay these right off the bat

1. Some older McCullock Mac Pro 610 (ranging in price from 130-170) Used
2. Poulan Pro 50 (ranging from 130-150) New
3. This china knock off 52cc (110$) new
4. Remington Rodeo 51cc (ranging from 100-120) Used
5. Craftsman 20" 50cc (150$) Used, but looks like very good condition
6. Homelite 42cc (110-120) new

Also still happy to see what anyone else has, as I'd gladly buy off this site then ebay or elsewhere.

Edited to remove links**

Cinko

Cinko

City Slicker Hacker
Do post with links get blocked here? There was an eBay link of one of the ones i was looking at, should i delete that link and try to repost the message?

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
For what you have described, a big box store cheap poulan/McCullough with a sharp chain will be just what you need

That's a bunch of ********! At the very minimum he needs a ported 70cc magnesium case saw with a sugihara bar and square chain!

Yeah, somewhere in that range and you will be set!

Chris_In_VT

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
For that much work, have you considered hiring the job out to someone? 10-12 trees and some brush work, maybe a half days work?

You might be able to find some guys on here who really like running saws (maybe :D ) and they'd do it for gas $ and lunch.

Alternative, buy whatever saw you want, and if you don't destroy it doing this job, resell it for 2/3 what you paid.

Cinko

Cinko

City Slicker Hacker
For that much work, have you considered hiring the job out to someone? 10-12 trees and some brush work, maybe a half days work?

You might be able to find some guys on here who really like running saws (maybe :D ) and they'd do it for gas $ and lunch.

Alternative, buy whatever saw you want, and if you don't destroy it doing this job, resell it for 2/3 what you paid.
Well if anyone is in the Winchester VA area and wants to cut some trees one weekend in june feel free to message me, Ill be happy to pay for the above and some beers afterwards!

Cinko

Cinko

City Slicker Hacker
Well, my offer is still pending on ebay for 180, I think im just gonna cancel it now amd buy the new poulan for the same price on walmart...

Cinko

Cinko

City Slicker Hacker
Cinko, check your prices there first. I don't know if they would be the same or that much different between western US and eastern.

Duane
No your good, you were right on the money with walmart prices

Now I just got to make up my mind tonight on which one to buy.. which is the hard part now...lol

Latest posts