Need some experts to have a look at a harness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree_beard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy all, new to being a registered member, but have been lurking, picking up tips for quite a while.

Im no climber, but i baught a second hand komet miller harness on the cheap, thinking that i might teach myself climbing at some point...

It was described as a tree climbing harness, but not knowing much about climbing kit makes/types/configurations i thought i should verify this with you guys.

so, tree climbing? or some other climbing/fall arrest set-up...

cheers

looks o.k.

Comfort may be an issue with those narrow leg straps.

There is a difference between fall arrest and work positioning harnesses, although some are both:dizzy: this looks to be both.

i think i see only 2 D's? This isn't conducive to a double tie in strategy at diffeent points on saddle.

And at sides only? You want to be supported at seat comfortably most of the time; not hanging by ribs.

i'm on cable, but them dial ups don't like 1 meg pix; should resize and drop to 70% quality or so; for smaller file sizes; the quality drop would be perceptible in printing and/or enlarging, but not on standard duty on net most of the time.

It appears to be an industrial fall protection harness that could be used as an uncomfortable tree harness.
The harness appears to have:
1. dorsal D-ring - this is suitable only for fall arrest
2. ventral loops - must be used together, usually used to protect a fall where the worker is facing the structure, such as a ladder-climbing safety system. This could be used for descending, but puts the hardware very high, probably above your face. It could not be used for ascending with a 2:1 system, but might be able to be used for a 1:1 system like footlocking.
3. side D-rings - used for positioning, such as working on a rebar cage. They could be used for a flipline in a tree - the large back pad would be comfy.

It does not have the central anchor point at the hips, which is necessary for hanging from an elevated tie-in point. As stated previously, the narrow leg straps would be uncomfy for hanging anyway.

not 4 tree climbing

Howdy all, new to being a registered member, but have been lurking, picking up tips for quite a while.

Im no climber, but i baught a second hand komet miller harness on the cheap, thinking that i might teach myself climbing at some point...

It was described as a tree climbing harness, but not knowing much about climbing kit makes/types/configurations i thought i should verify this with you guys.

so, tree climbing? or some other climbing/fall arrest set-up...

cheers
here is a pic of a komet tree saddle and is not 4 fall arest but made for safe positioning only like most tree saddles. u have been had. what a shame! sorry about the poor pics as they are 4 some thing else

I've been in the trees for some time now and I would never buy any part of my PPE used. Do you know anything about the history of this harness? Has it ever been shock-loaded during a fall? Has it been stored correctly during the time it sat around waiting for you to buy it "on the cheap?" Do you value your life? Can a cheap deal make up for any injuries you suffer using equipment that you don't know much about? Not a good move, man.

revelations

so, not suitable for trees then, except if i want an un-safe and un-comfortable time of it... might try and get my money back then.

thanks for all the quick responses, and pointing out the obvious safety concerns about using second hand (if un-used) ppe/climbing kit.

thanks amigos

Latest posts

Back