Need some pro advice on MS 440 vs. MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cage116

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well i am hoping to get some input from more knowledgable folks than myself. I currently own a stihl MS441 25 inch b/c I really like the saw it has been really great running and done everything i have asked of it with authority. I cut mainly 24" and up hard woods.... My only complaints have been that it seems a bit tuff to work on compared to other saws and the A/V seems spongy. Well my local Dealer who is a friend of mine just got in a load of MS 440's. Now my question is would it be a good idea to switch to an MS440 are there any drawbacks to them? I like how much more Nimble they are than my 441... I just do not want to miss my chance at a "legendary" saw that i have heard so many great things about? Are the 440's as powerful as the 441's ? Would i be loosing anything by migrating from a 441 to a 440? :msp_confused:Thanks for any and all input on this....

you will lose a bit of touqe and you will get crap air filtration compared to the 441

Last edited:
You are giving up a little power, better fuel economy, and smoothness in return for a more nimble saw. If the softness of the AV bothers you, there is a stiffer set available from your dealer.
I had a 441 and was never enthused about it.

ok so the 440 is a bit less powerful than my 441. I started thinking about this because i ahve heard several loggers comment that the 440 is just a way better saw than the 441 and when folks like that make those kind of comments i tend to listen to them. Thank you for you responses so far i guess i could look into the heavier A/V but how difficult is it to install?

If you want a simple design saw thats dead nuts reliable that will cut with or out cut your 441 get a ms 460. A ms440 is an awesome saw, but the above posts are right about a little less power and crappy air filter system in comparision. It all depends on what YOU want in a saw...

New in the box MS440's? I did not know there were any still around.... What are they selling for now?

Bill

New in the box MS440's? I did not know there were any still around.... What are they selling for now?

Bill

Yeah Stihl has re-released the MS440. I was told due to popular demand on the west coast. They did not say for how long these would be available....I am not even sure how they could pull it off with the EPA being what it is..

440 is way easier to work on. Less cluttered carb box than 441.

441 is nice and smooth, easy on fuel.

But at the same cc and heavier weight, I'd go with the 440, IMO.

I had a 441 5 years ago and sold it and got a 440.

Yeah Stihl has re-released the MS440. I was told due to popular demand on the west coast. They did not say for how long these would be available....I am not even sure how they could pull it off with the EPA being what it is..

The 440 is in the new catalog. The reg 441 is not in the catalog, the M-tronic is though.

440 is way easier to work on. Less cluttered carb box than 441.

441 is nice and smooth, easy on fuel.

But at the same cc and heavier weight, I'd go with the 440, IMO.

I had a 441 5 years ago and sold it and got a 440.

Yeah that is one thing i am worried about. I have found that its alwasy a good idea to ahve tools that are easy to maintain.....

If you are into buying saws, then get rid of the regular 441 and get a Mtronic 441, few saws will ever be as efficient and smooth and easy to work WITH than that saw. Total dissembly and assembly is only about 10-15 minutes more with the 441 over other less complex designs. That said, the benefits of the 441 Mtronic over most any other 70-80cc saws more than make up for the rare event that you have to take it a part.

The overall filtration system is vastly superior to the old Stihl designs, the filter is the same, but the way the system cleans the air before it gets to the filter is much, much better. The smoother AV makes for a very nice saw to work longer hours with, than most any rubber mounted system. Spongyness is just a "feeling" the saw is a tool, adjust to it, and you won't have to worry about it anymore, especially for 25" and shorter bars, I prefer the softer springs for short bars.

For longer bars they have the stiffer springs.

Also the 441 holds more bar oil than the 440 and 460 if you like to modd your oiler.

Sam

A 441 M-Tronic will run circles around a new 440. If you want comparable power, you'll have to go with a 460.

well i was mainly curious how much power i would sacrifice to go to a 440 they seem to be a bit more nimble than my 441...Thanks for your help..

I Had a 441 and traded it for a 441R M-Tronic. They come with the heavier AV mounts and several other goodies for just a few more dollars. I liked my old 441 and I love the new one. Personally I don't want to go back to older technology, that is just my opinion, but to the M-Tronic naysayers out there all I have to say is, run one!

Steve

I just got an m-tronic a couple weeks ago. I was looking at the 440 but felt the price quote was to high at 939.99 with a 25". The dealer had the new 441 c-m for 849.99. I just could not spend 90 bucks more on a older less powerful saw. I wanted the wrap handle bar and bigger spikes but did not wan't to do the order thing. By the way any one know what the deal is with the dawgs for the 441 are. The aftermarket ones that Bailey's have say they won't fit,but when I looked up the part# for the Stihl ones they were the same as 440,460:confused:Anyhow the 441 M-tronic is a beast,to me it seems to be right on the heels of my brothers 7900.

I have both.

The 441C in stock form is Stihl's closest out of the box saw to a ported saw with the engine management system which smells of Porsche Design to me.

In ported form, the 441C runs as if it had veins in it's neck, they would stick out like a Pit Bull ready for the ring. I've not exactly abused mine but have ran it to it's end, tank to empty, numerous times and it just comes back to a happy burble at idle. Amazing saw.

The 440 with a dual port exhaust cover from Stihl and the carb set right is alot of fun, just different, takes more maintenance, more fuel, but does handle a bit better when comparing the two. By themselves for the entire day the 441C shines in my book by having better power, less maintenance, and way more efficient than a 440. I like owning them both, maybe that's what you could do, run them both for a bit and sell what you don't like. My bet is that you will keep the pair.
Stay safe.

Latest posts

Back