Need to buy a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deakin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not too many trees here in the Texas Panhandle but I need a saw. I have a Stihl 019 and it is just too small for the mesquite that I am clearing and cutting for firewood.

In my 50 years I have learned to be humble and ask for help when I have no experience in the endevor. Help

I need a good size saw with some power to make the mesquite more usable. I am open to a purchase here also as it seems from what I have read that this is a good bunch of woodmen.

Until I have a grasp on what I like, I need to purchase used but not worn out. I know I'm honest so I'll take adivce and offers at face value, until I'm proven wrong.

Please email me or pm me and let's make a deal.

go to the trading pages.

several good used saws for sale there.
Do a search here for what to buy. God only knows we have hashed this topic enough lately.

My mistake wasn't sure if I need to post there or here. I will be off to the trading area. Thanks for the help.

There is a real nice 036 pro in the trading post section that would probably work good for you.

Not too many trees here in the Texas Panhandle but I need a saw. I have a Stihl 019 and it is just too small for the mesquite that I am clearing and cutting for firewood.

In my 50 years I have learned to be humble and ask for help when I have no experience in the endevor. Help

I need a good size saw with some power to make the mesquite more usable. I am open to a purchase here also as it seems from what I have read that this is a good bunch of woodmen.

Until I have a grasp on what I like, I need to purchase used but not worn out. I know I'm honest so I'll take adivce and offers at face value, until I'm proven wrong.

Please email me or pm me and let's make a deal.

Here's a good middle-of-the-road $400 chainsaw, the Husky 359 , 4hp, 12 lbs, 20" bar, brand new with all the latest features. It's twice what you'd pay for a lesser saw at the "depot" stores but 10X the saw, and not much more than many burned out used chainsaws. I own and use two of them and have an older Husky 55 Rancher for the smaller stuff although it is a good one for just about anything.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/991?mv_session_id=SM4GqiIy&product_sku=HU 359 20

Last edited:
Here's a good middle-of-the-road $400 chainsaw, the Husky 359 , 4hp, 12 lbs, 20" bar, brand new with all the latest features. It's twice what you'd pay for a lesser saw at the "depot" stores but 10X the saw, and not much more than many burned out used chainsaws. I own and use two of them and have an older Husky 55 Rancher for the smaller stuff although it is a good one for just about anything.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/991?mv_session_id=SM4GqiIy&product_sku=HU 359 20

Great saw, I own one. Add $50 for non-catalytic muffler especially in Texas panhandle.
Used or new if you don't have PPE add $100 for chaps, gloves, hard hat with hearing and eye protection, and a pair of steel toed boots.

For you a Dolmar 5100 should fit the bill. Probably the most saw for least $ that will fit your needs. If you can't find a dealer in your area Cutinscott (sponsor) may have a demo he is willing to loose. These do not have a catalytic muffler, cats add heat, you have enough trouble keeping air cooled engine cool without building a campfire on one side.

Last edited:
Hey, guys, it's that time of year, with firewood season right around the corner - lots of "what saw should I buy" posts are on the way. But that's what we're here for...

In response to the original question:

Whatcha cutting, size-wise? And how much of it do you plan to cut? How often?

Welcome Deakin, I have cut a bit of mesquite. Thats a nasty hard wood for any of you folks that have never had the pleasure of cutting it. You will find that a 70cc to 80cc saw with an 18" to 20" bar will knock down allot of your cut time and far make up for the weight difference.

I have no idea what I did for great current information on any topic before the Internet.

I know that this is a redundant question and I am sorry if I bother any of the members on this site.

All the input is great and very much appreciated. I have read several pages of posts and had a good idea of what I thought might work. I wanted someone with experience to guide me through the process, which by the way is exactly what is going to happen.

We have two Stihl dealers close by but neither is worth the 10 minute drive. I will have to send the unit off or drive 100 miles South which is okay as I maintain equipment on a regular basis.

If anyone has an extra saw that is just wanting to come to Texas let me know.

70-80cc ehh?
Try Dolmar ps7900, the lightest power house out now. Stihl 440/441/460, Husky 372xp/575xp. All of these are the top preformers, the 440/372xp are no longer made but can still be bought new.

I vote 440:D

Started checking for dealers other than Stihl. No Dolmar or Husky within 200 miles.

Is one of the three any more reliable?

Thanks again for your reply and sorry for all the questions. It may be raining where you are so time is less of a commodity. LOL

Started checking for dealers other than Stihl. No Dolmar or Husky within 200 miles.

Thanks again for your reply and sorry for all the questions. It may be raining where you are so time is less of a commodity. LOL

All of them have a few "less wanted" saws. 361 or 441 are the best in the Stihl line up. Ok guys, 440 and 460 too.:clap:

All of them have a few "less wanted" saws. 361 or 441 are the best in the Stihl line up. Ok guys, 440 and 460 too.:clap:

Most of the reliability problems with the pro-grade saws stem from either user error or, ever so rarely, the odd saw that slips past the quality control folks. The former is not something that chosing one brand over another will help with, and the latter isn't much different - it's hard to predict when a lemon will sneak by.

Any of the saws mentioned - 372/575 Husqvarna, 440/441/460 Stihl, 7900 Dolmar would be great 18"-20" saws in the really hard stuff, and still have the capacity to pull much longer bars in easier wood. If you've got dealer presence for Stihl in your area, then you might as well go with Stihl. At least you can (maybe?) snag parts from the crap dealers and save your major work for the good dealer.

For a used saw, I'd aim for a 440/044. It is a great all-around saw that is easy to find and easy to work on, has a decent aftermarket parts following, and is a good starting point in terms of power.

Thanks again for the info. What a great bunch of woodmen. We don't do much with trees here as they are few and far between.

Looking for any of the above mentioned models. I have a plan now as long as I don't fall into the just like new trap and get a bad one. What the heck I would guess that the parts would be worth something.

I re-read the posts and need to answer computeruser's question.

Most of the mesquite that I will harvest for firewood will be in the 10" or less size, and I will probably only harvest one weekend a month. With that said I will run into and harvest the 18 to 30" tree and I want all the saw that I can afford and handle. (Tim Allen style) I hope not to get hooked on the hot saw style but I want a saw that will saw all day and not let me down.

If you are handy with small engines, you can get a Husky online.
Baileys, a sponser here, handles em, and while you might find slightly cheaper, you will not find a nicer group to deal with, and they will support you 100%. Since you are online anyways, I thought it was worth a shot.

Until you step up above the 70 cc saws, you get more for your money from Husky. I know that statement is being jumped on as I write this, but thats my $ .02.

I do agree that it might be worth it to pay the extra for a new saw, running right, with a warranty, and will last a good long time.
Not that the people here aren't honest or good folks, but sometimes its just hard to know the history of a used saw. After you get a finicky one, you might just wish you'd spent the extra money up front is all.

Good luck on your endeavour, it should be a lot of fun. :chainsawguy:

for 10" 4 times a month I would say why not buy a smaller saw that is very powerful like a Stihl 361 check that model out but also if you have a dolmar dealer near you try a 5100 as well and try a husky 357xp I would buy what ever you think "feels right in your hands" I do not like buying used engines period. why? You have no idea what it has been through unless you know the person selling it. You could dish out half the cost of a new saw and have it break in two days and you are back at square one but if you are buying used check compression check compression check compression I hope you get it now! The saws that have good compression have been taken care of not neglected and should not have thousands of hours on them. the other option is what I have done, go to every saw dealer near you tell them you are interested in saws and want yo learn, ask them if any parts saws are around. This is what I have done and the saws that are lying around with little work to get running are unbelievable, Let the owners know that you will be back again to get more of these reject saws, find out which ones fetch the most money on ebay or ask here and decide which saws to start on if only to learn about chainsaws in general, and put a little time reading on here and teach him "the owner" a thing or two. You will be surprised at the kindness that the sawshop guys seem to have at least in my area because their are some saw shops that know nothing and their service stinks, some will say husqvarna or still sucks why? because my Stihl dealer sucks and coudln't fix a saw if his life depended on it but it does not mean Stihl saws suck or vice versa No one will diss Stihl here or husky! why? because they make great saws and you will look stupid to say one or the other stinks! yeah your dealer sucks so what do you diss husky or stihl then because you had bad service come on or did you not even have the balls to try another brand! but that is the way people think sometimes mine is better because it's mine. I think if you keep your eyes open a good used saw will come up every year at a fair or good price at least in my area but if you buy new you know what you are getting no guesswork involved I will say good luck. I would buy a saw in the 50-60cc range if I were you or larger if you are comfortable with the weight. stay away from ebay in my opinion I have seen bad things happen on ebay and people get ripped! If you need a used saw bad enough someone here can help you because many of us have way to many saws to begin with but that being said we would like to buy more and different saws to feed our desires S I say Dave out for now i NEED TO CUT SOME BIG WOOD! Oh wait my Moms fron bigwood...... I will send some pics.

70-80cc ehh?
Try Dolmar ps7900, the lightest power house out now. Stihl 440/441/460, Husky 372xp/575xp. All of these are the top preformers, the 440/372xp are no longer made but can still be bought new.

I vote 440:D

The 372 is surely still made, just not imported into the US....:biggrinbounce2:

I don't know much about mesquite wood, but he's cutting mainly 10" diameter. Wouldn't a Husky 350 (or 353) be enough saw for that.
They're pretty light weight too. I'm thinking about getting me one.

Latest posts

Back