Need to split & stack wood. What's the ideal size crew to get it done quickly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a bunch of wood that's bucked and ready to split and stack. I want to get it done fast and wonder what the best size crew is without getting in each others way? I have some teens and college age guys to help me. I'm wondering if 4 guys works good for getting the job done? Maybe I'll run the gas splitter, one guy brings the rounds to me, one guy hauling the split wood in a wheel-barrel and another guy stacking. I have maybe 4 full cords and want to get it done in a couple hours or so...

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think 3 is plenty. The guy bringing you rounds could also help the hauler/ stacker.

Or have the fourth guy cooking burgers and bringing ya cold ones.

Working teenagers???

Hell, I'd like to get just one, not two or more, but ONE of these sorry sissy-boys around here to help.

As long as they have their mommies paying for their cell phones, and keeping them in a car to drive they have no interest in a little work.

I tried to corner a couple of them into helping me split and stack a truckload,,ONE truck load. I had cut it and loaded it on the truck, backed up to the wood shed with the splitter at the door to the shed. Says to them, "Boys I've wrenched my back a little today and could use your help, I'll slip ya' some doe",,no deals. Two days later, one of 'em wanted me to front him twenty bucks and he'd "work it off" next week,,,Sorriest bunch of pu$$ies I ever seen...

About the best production I've gotten with my equipment is a crew of 4. My buddy's wife running the lever on the splitter, 1 guy bringing rounds to the splitter, 1 guy positioning them on the splitter, and one stacking. Split as close to the stack as you can, it's easier to move a few rounds than it is a lot of splits, unless they get real big.

We can run a sustained cord+ per hour without working too hard this way. I only do this if I get behind on my own splitting, or if someone else has a bunch of wood to be split. Otherwise I prefer to take my time and do everything myself.

The Mrs. and I prefer to work alone. I load, unless the rounds/chunks are too heavy, then we both load. She runs the
splitter. We both stack. I clean up afterwards. I'm sure we'd never manage 4 cords in 2 hours. But then, we don't
have to. Once in a while someone will stop by and offer to help. They usually get in the way.

I've hired kids before. Unless you are a full-time manager, you'll find them on break most of the time. Working around
firewood can be dangerous. Don't even think about letting them around the splitter. And it's hard to tote and stack
with a cellphone in your ear. I know, there are kids that will bust their butts to do a good job for fair pay. I just haven't
had much luck finding any.

When she's up to the task, the Shewolf and I can make short work of a cord. I man the splitter and toss splits to the stack. She arranges 'em neatly and there you are. We already have the rounds stacked near the splitter before we start. :)

Mac is absolutely right - running a splitter can be hazardous. It requires full, constant focus without distractions. Inexperienced people around a running splitter is asking for an injury. If them pups are BSing around, not paying attention somebody could lose some fingers.

To the original question, three people should do for the job. One to bring rounds to the splitter, one to load and operate the splitter and one to stack. More than that and you'll have a Three Stooges scenario... they're in each other's way, farting around and the work ain't getting done.

One can only split so fast. The help can only stack wood as fast as they get it. If one stacker can keep pace with the splitter, ya don't need two. :)

Make sure they're "signed off" or trained before you start. Give 'em leather gloves to wear. Rotate 'em every once in awhile so they don't get into a production trance or gripe that one or the other has the easy part.

Fast Splitting Firewood

The fastest way to split firewood is with a 90 lb jackhammer- 50 ft hose - big air compressor- 175psi
First cut up the 14 cord log-View attachment 246769truck load - layout blocks so you
can stand on them - double up with smaller ones. walk for block to block.
then split into wedges with spade bit. Took us 4 hours to split (14 cord) whole load.

She don't even weigh 90#

246769d1343668570-jackhammer-firewood-carol-don-jpg

The fastest way to split firewood is with a 90 lb jackhammer- 50 ft hose - big air compressor- 175psi
First cut up the 14 cord log - truck load - layout blocks so you
can stand on them - double up with smaller ones. walk for block to block.
then split into wedges with spade bit. Took us 4 hours to split (14 cord) whole load.

Jeez, THAT sounds like work.

Fast Splitting Firewood

You are right, she weighed 89 pounds at that time. (Now at 63 weighs 90) When business was slow in the summer she
would split a cord a day with a 12 pound sledge. (A real animal) When I got home from work we would load/deliver it.
We had 250 customers on our books.View attachment 246770

It only requires two people… and a splitter that doesn’t require holding a lever and is fully auto-cycle.
First you move the splitter next to the stack(s).
Next you move the rounds next to the splitter.
One person loads and operates the splitter, the other stacks and tosses the “too big” splits back to the splitter operator… if done properly the ram never stops moving.

Need to split & stack wood. What's the ideal size crew to get it done quickly?

All depends on how much beer you have? The more beer the more help you will get.

Teens and collage students are not guy's. (there are exceptions) You will be pulling your hair out. Then next month you will be cussing as your restacking all the wood.

I think 3 or 4. I'm a little leery of having someone that isn't placing the logs on the splitter running the lever. The lever runner will react faster if it's his own finger that's getting pinched.

I'd probably have one bringing the rounds, one taking them away and the other stacking. 2 wheelbarrows. Rotate them every tank of gas in the splitter.

I have a bunch of wood that's bucked and ready to split and stack. I want to get it done fast and wonder what the best size crew is without getting in each others way? I have some teens and college age guys to help me. I'm wondering if 4 guys works good for getting the job done? Maybe I'll run the gas splitter, one guy brings the rounds to me, one guy hauling the split wood in a wheel-barrel and another guy stacking. I have maybe 4 full cords and want to get it done in a couple hours or so...

Any advice would be appreciated.

You got my curiosity going. WTF is a "wheel-barrel"? Where can I find one?

Back