NEED YOUR HELP AND GUIDANCE PLEASE!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK,I been thinking about this for awhile,and my daughter wanting to help with firewood for our home,what would be the best option on a chainsaw?????

notes-----thoughts--supervised off course! Her mom having some health issues so she be spending alot more time with dad,and thats great!! BUT I VERY PROTECTIVE OF HER AND WANT TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE,ON SAW AND CUTTING SAFTEY,AND BUILD GREAT MEMORIES..

--she is 11
--thinking maybe a echo cs310 with that safety tip thing?
--small bar and safety chain
--WHEN SHE CUTS I WILL NOT BE,AND WATCHING HER
---do they make-chaps? for kids??
---she wants a stihl,but the echo tip thing seems safer bet
---heck any small saw would work,just tht echo tip would be betteR
---I HAVING HER WATCH VIDEOS

any other thoughts,tips,concerns,advice,or help would be GREAT FULL.....THANK YOU DEMC!

sorry if my posting etiquette isnt proper,i was just looking for some advice.thank you...for the guidelines..

I understand the wanting to teach but 11 years old and running a chainsaw? Not sure about that one.
Watching her won't make her safe. You won't be able to stop the saw when it kicks back into her. It really is a variable of size and strength. Controlling a chainsaw takes arm strength and kids normally don't have it.
Also if she is cutting and you are not then how is that helping? Or is this just for a trial period?
Maybe just send her to the store in the Corvette for beer and smokes. That would save you some time!

I understand the wanting to teach but 11 years old and running a chainsaw? Not sure about that one.
Watching her won't make her safe. You won't be able to stop the saw when it kicks back into her. It really is a variable of size and strength. Controlling a chainsaw takes arm strength and kids normally don't have it.
Also if she is cutting and you are not then how is that helping? Or is this just for a trial period?
Maybe just send her to the store in the Corvette for beer and smokes. That would save you some time!
well ok,thanks

i just trying to keep her busy with me,and she always wanted to run a saw.......just thought i would ask for advice.....

she could probably help with the stacking part better than the chainsaw running part, It only takes a second to change her life and yours! Whatever she does it will be time well spent with Dad.

she could probably help with the stacking part better than the chainsaw running part, It only takes a second to change her life and yours! Whatever she does it will be time well spent with Dad.
thankyou,yes i still on the fence,about it.....thanks for your reply

Man, don't know. Is she strong? Any other experience with power tools? chainsaws are unforgiving and have no pity.

Do you have a sawbuck to cut small logs on? Perhaps, and this is just perhaps, a cheap battery saw to start with, on the saw buck.

Another option to get her involved and do some useful cutting..ever see those "jawsaw" ads on TV? Boss got me one for a hoot last year and dang if that thing isn't fun and practical to buck up one inch to three inch branches into firewood. You can just wwade into a pile and churn out wheelbarros full of small rounds. It's a plug in electric (watch the cord is all) and probably the absolute safest chainsaw type tool you could run. Does a jamup job on milking out loose branches into kindling and small firewood pieces. I was 100% skeptical until I tried it out, but I love that stupid thing now. Pretty cheap, too, under 100 bucks I think. I wish they had a 30-40cc cc gas model that worked the same way. Freeking ultimate brusher if they did!

I have a buncha wood in my stacks right now from that thing. It'll cut larger, but keep it 1-3 inches and let it cut, don't push hard, just let it cut, and it works swell.

Just watch the oil level, it's easy to get carried away and keep cutting and space out on the oil. It has a semi clear oil tank, but you have to actually look at it once in awhile! LOL!

I had some pics I put up here but they got lost in the great hack.

Whatever you do I am sure your daughter will be more help than the snide BS help that some people offered here
THANK YOU,VERY MUCH!!!! I try to be as nice to others as i can,dont see need to be rude others.......thank you for your comment!!

Man, don't know. Is she strong? Any other experience with power tools? chainsaws are unforgiving and have no pity.

Do you have a sawbuck to cut small logs on? Perhaps, and this is just perhaps, a cheap battery saw to start with, on the saw buck.

Another option to get her involved and do some useful cutting..ever see those "jawsaw" ads on TV? Boss got me one for a hoot last year and dang if that thing isn't fun and practical to buck up one inch to three inch branches into firewood. You can just wwade into a pile and churn out wheelbarros full of small rounds. It's a plug in electric (watch the cord is all) and probably the absolute safest chainsaw type tool you could run. Does a jamup job on milking out loose branches into kindling and small firewood pieces. I was 100% skeptical until I tried it out, but I love that stupid thing now. Pretty cheap, too, under 100 bucks I think. I wish they had a 30-40cc cc gas model that worked the same way. Freeking ultimate brusher if they did!

I have a buncha wood in my stacks right now from that thing. It'll cut larger, but keep it 1-3 inches and let it cut, don't push hard, just let it cut, and it works swell.

Just watch the oil level, it's easy to get carried away and keep cutting and space out on the oil. It has a semi clear oil tank, but you have to actually look at it once in awhile! LOL!

I had some pics I put up here but they got lost in the great hack.
thank you,good info and always good advice as always,and i am sometimes to protective,so thats why i asked.......

I may get flamed for it, but here's my take. Chainsaws are more dangerous than a firearm. With a firearm, if someone is starting to point it in the wrong direction, then the gun can be grabbed. You can't grab a chainsaw. Kids don't have the fear of God in them about getting hurt. That comes with maturity, and there are still some 60 year old kids running around. (I think at times you could count me in that group) You can show a kid the power of a firearm by having them shoot a gallon milk jug full of water or something like that. A chainsaw? There's nothing sensational about sawdust.....

Parents still know more, and usually have more sense than their kids. It's up to you to tell them no, and not let them do whatever they want, whenever they want to. Setting boundaries you know.....

With that said, if you are still set on having her run a saw, get all the safety gear first, and have her wear it. It ain't gonna be cheap. At the very least leather boots, chaps, earmuffs (only about 5% of the people that I know, know how to properly insert ear plugs in their ears), safety glasses or goggles, gloves, etc. Call Labonville at 1-800-764-9969 and see if chaps are available to fit her. If not, forgetaboutit. "Sorry honey, I can't let you run the saw without all the safety gear on." Yes on the safety tip and safety chain, yes on the lightest saw possible.

If she was my kid, I'd not let her run a saw, even if I was standing right next to her.

thankyou,well i can see why a lot of people dont post much on this sight,i was just trying to ask a question,without anyone getting smart or mad.......thank you all for your information and thoughts,think i just delete this post,its getting out of hand...even when i was a kid i didnt name call or make fun of others,but to each his own.....

Ummm, I sense a different line of advice being given than when it is a boy. First how strong is she? How mature? Will she listen to instructions? How patient are you? Parents are not always the best teachers. Yes, there should be chaps that fit, if not do you have a sewing machine or duck tape? Ear plugs? Make sure the saw runs well, the chain is sharp, so it won't be a torturous experience. Also, if she fogs up glasses, get some Bugz.

How well versed in chainsaws are you? Do you know the safe way to start them? About putting on the chain brake when not cutting? I'd really stress that. Can you show how to file a chain? On the saw, if she's ready, I'd go to a real saw shop and have her fondle the saws. Ask her if they are too heavy. This munchkin and his little sister were learning and ran a Wildthing. As you can see, dad was right there. They were obviously too young to go it alone.
Startin' em young0001.JPG
A coworker said her boys started running chainsaws at a young age. She tried not to look when they came back to the house and got a saw and left with it. Girls can do the same.

I was driving a car and tractors at age 12. You can get hurt doing that too.

She might enjoy putting bling on her saw.

Ummm, I sense a different line of advice being given than when it is a boy. First how strong is she? How mature? Will she listen to instructions? How patient are you? Parents are not always the best teachers. Yes, there should be chaps that fit, if not do you have a sewing machine or duck tape? Ear plugs? Make sure the saw runs well, the chain is sharp, so it won't be a torturous experience. Also, if she fogs up glasses, get some Bugz.

How well versed in chainsaws are you? Do you know the safe way to start them? About putting on the chain brake when not cutting? I'd really stress that. Can you show how to file a chain? On the saw, if she's ready, I'd go to a real saw shop and have her fondle the saws. Ask her if they are too heavy. This munchkin and his little sister were learning and ran a Wildthing. As you can see, dad was right there. They were obviously too young to go it alone.
View attachment 334706
A coworker said her boys started running chainsaws at a young age. She tried not to look when they came back to the house and got a saw and left with it. Girls can do the same.

I was driving a car and tractors at age 12. You can get hurt doing that too.

She might enjoy putting bling on her saw.
thank you,very much for your infomation,i still on the fence about it......i am no logger or arborist,but do know proper way to use the saw and have for 30 years in construction and cutting my own firewood for 10 years..yes this is a touchy topic even with my wife,to let daughter run saw...she is strong and smart,we will see.thank you!

Here is the State Law in Indiana. Maybe you can try it in China when you move there.

No minor under the age of 16 may operate, assist in operating, start, stop, adjust, feed or any other activity involving physical contact associated with the operation any of the following machines:

• trencher or earthmoving equipment
  • fork lift
  • potato combine
  • power-driven circular, band, or chain saw
you do know that only applies to "kids" with ligit jobs right?..., has nothing to do with kids at home.
hell it doesnt even apply to kids at school, kids at a tech (trade) school are able to run any equipment thats is required for their trade, AT AGE 14!

with proper guidance an 11 year old is plenty capable to run a saw, not something like an 066, but something like a 009 is plenty small enough for an 11 yera old to handle,
a 009 is what i started on at 8 years old, i was about 10 or 12 when i started running it one handed to cut small stove wood.
just make sure she doesnt cut anything larger than the bar so she keeps the bar nose out of the wood and kick back will pretty much be eliminated...

you do know that only applies to "kids" with ligit jobs right?..., has nothing to do with kids at home.
hell it doesnt even apply to kids at school, kids at a tech (trade) school are able to run any equipment thats is required for their trade, AT AGE 14!

with proper guidance an 11 year old is plenty capable to run a saw, not something like an 066, but something like a 009 is plenty small enough for an 11 yera old to handle,
a 009 is what i started on at 8 years old, i was about 10 or 12 when i started running it one handed to cut small stove wood.
just make sure she doesnt cut anything larger than the bar so she keeps the bar nose out of the wood and kick back will pretty much be eliminated...
thank you for great reply,i still on fence about it,and sure respect the good info and knowledge...

Latest posts

Back