NEED YOUR HELP AND GUIDANCE PLEASE!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only you can decide that. I personally could not let my girls do that at 11. Most other things yes, but I would be scared to death of them possibly getting a hideous, deforming injury. Don't want to mention the obvious. Not that there not capable, just a risk to reward thing. chauvinistic, selfish, maybe. But that's just me, odds are your daughter will do just fine. Good luck.
thank you! still trying to decide,she really wants too,but that dont mean its right...i believe she would do fine,but its still scarey fact of the risk....its not something she has to do right now,well have to just see how she does over next few months helping me on weekends and teaching her as we go,then maybe let her pull trigger.....maybe. thank you for your reply!

I grew up in a farming community where parents & family taught the children how to use tool & weapons safely, responsively, & to know our limits. They used common sense taking in consideration: maturity, size, common sense, desire to learn & willingness to follow instructions before teaching the child. By the age of 10 I had my own lawn mowing business. If there was a steep area I was uncomfortable mowing, I knew I could ask for assistance without fear of being belittled. At the same time I was using a chainsaw in a controlled environment. My brother on the other hand has a different personallity & was not taught many of the things I was until he was 14-15 yo.

With our children, we have a daughter & a son, we encouraged them to try new things as they showed interest but did not push them into things. However they did have chores/responsibilities as they grew up. Did they learn the same things I did at the same ages I did, no, they have different temperaments & interests. They both are able to use weapons & tools safely. Our daughter graduated high school as valedictorian & went on to become a music teacher. Our son was salutatorian of his class, a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy & is currently attending flight training. My wife & I like to think they are well rounded individuals who have been taught they are capable of accomplishing their goals while recognizing not everything is their forte.

You as a parent are the best judge of when you children are ready for the responsibility.

This said, a smaller saw with a sharp chain is a good choice but I don't like the bar tip covers. They have the potential of getting in the way & binding which could cause a loss of control. Wood is irregular in shape & while cutting the tip guard may clear the wood when you are rotating the saw but then catch while trying to remove it & can create an unsafe challenge. Also they prevent you from sliding the saw straight back out of a cut which is a normal movement when you see the cut starting to close to prevent the saw from being pinched.

She has plenty of time....don't force it. Kids want to do everything at that age, doesn't mean they should.
If I offended you with my "snide" comments then I will apologize but when I first read that I just shook my head. No way in heck would I ever put a chainsaw in the hands of an 11 year old regardless of who on this forum has done it. You can't base YOUR real life experiences off of what people on this forum have done.
I can think of a million safer things for her to do while in the wood lot with you.
I lost both my children at a very young age. I have two stepchildren now and they are almost grown up at 21 and 18. I would consider letting my 18 yr old daughter learn but back when she was 11 she could hardly even help me rake the lawn let alone hold a spinning razor sharp chainsaw up.
There has to be more value placed in a child then "trying" to teach them to be responsible by doing dangerous chores. Your responsibility as a parent lies in protecting and nurturing. If you do that right then no amount of chore based learning activity will make them a better person.

Again I apologize, it is your call on her maturity and her physical capabilities please don't do it just because someone on here did it to their 11 yr old. That child may have been way more advanced at that age then yours, you just don't know. It's kinda like that nasty leaner out in the woodlot. If you have to ask a question about cutting it because you're not sure, then walk away. Maybe next year you will be ready or maybe it will fall down on its own accord.

Children are simply little people. Some are well suited, starting with their own desires, and intellect.

All of my children got significant training from me, and exposure to tools and equipment from day one. (If i could safely show the bad circumstance from the wrong way, I'd set it up) My oldest ran a crew of five and maintained 200 accounts a week in a manufactured home community. It never looked so good when the crew was left to their own, and the boy added clients to the route with his demanding production and quality control.

My youngest two jumped into whatever as fast as they could. The boy preferred equipment, the girl enjoyed being the groundie and making sure he knew what to get, she'd hook it. Both operated the Mini Ex very well and efficient. With the min ex and the Track Skid steer, they worked as well as any grown professional diggnig fill and grading. Ben cuts swales with an excavator by eye with only a couple of grade stakes very well.

Natalie is different. SHe started on a PW 50 2 stroke at 4. The rule was, she could ride it if she could pick it up, and kickstart it. When she wanted more horses, she struggled with the CRF 50, but blazed right on by it to the CRF 70 then the KX 65 and RM 85. She nearly broke me with race entry fees riding four classes....

She wanted to help clear land. We started with the CS 310. Simply, besides the other training, she had to be able to start it safely, and service it properly. She had no problem understanding this, and had no problems, unsafe efforts or near misses. She jumps on the 290 first, now.

Nat played five years and was a mean OLB, other teams ran away from her side if they could. Great field smarts and hit like lightning.

She shoots well, has gut, skin and quartered hogs, and can service all my equipment before running it. Surfed 15' Pavones in CR.

At 4'12", 120lbs, she is not to be messed with. She doesn't have a short fuse, but she will not tolerate much.

Graduated HS a year early with an AS degree, and is now a 17 yo Junior at UNF, playing Rugby with the Jacksonville Womens Rugby team.

Your daughter? Up to you and her. And Mom.

OK, are you a parent?
did you ever learn to read? maybe your too young? beacuse if you could, you would be able to find the answer in the FIRST line of that post!
and i dont need to be a parent to see that holding kids back does more damage than good!
Ever notice all of these "kids" these days fresh out of college, no job (or working some minimum wage job) living in their parents basement? because all they know how to do is what school taught them (which isnt much).
parents need teach their kids more than just how not to piss their pants,and eat with a fork!
when your kids are 25 let me know how many (useful/productive) things they are not only capable of but excell at, my guess is not many with a "your too young" mentality of their father!

i hear people around my parents age ***** all the time about how bad my generation is, apparently they dont realize it was their generation that "made" my generation, ( one generation only knows as much as the previous generations taught them)

Yup, school bad.
never said that! again maybe you should learn to read!
i said what they teach kids "isnt much"
tell me how many things you learned after around 6th grade you actually use today?
also college... unless you get a job in the field you studied, its basically a waste! college is pushed so hard the last 20-30 years, that kids only know one thing and if they cant find a job in that field theyre ****ed, and need to start over.
now if they do find a job in their field then great, but if not and they have nothing to fall back on, then the parents didnt do their job in teaching their kids anything!

i got intrested in welding, machining, and power transmission components, from just our 1800's frick mill, (thats 3 career options that i was intrested in, not including knowing how to run a mill, from just being around 1 piece of equipment) all because i was allowed to be around/help/run it, and not being told i was too young by my parents.
BTW if you think a chainsaw is dangerous, you should see old sawmills, garantee that osha would be too scared to get aywhere near it. (while its running) 2 stroke Detriot screaming with open belts/chains everywhere, nevermind the blade on it:laugh:

maybe you work for OSHA??? because then that would make some sense...

Who taught you that? If you had initiative, you wouldn't use that kind of crutch. Some body should have taught that "one generation" to learn independently and to be accountable.

I'm only scanning for contradictions.

We were still required to use capitalization at the beginning of sentences. However.....

I dont see where you are adding any (more) value to this thread so why keep posting, just to stir the pot??

RE the question asked by the OP...

I have read a lot of good advice in the previous posts and some not so much. You dont have to tell her no but at the same point I dont think any kid under the age of 15 should be left unsupervised running a saw. And Im not talkin about cutting with/next to them and considering that supervised, Im talkin about standing right next to them empty handed within arms reach and watching everything they are doing (at least initially), ready to step in and stop them and mention "hey, stop and look at what you are cutting, this branch is loaded and once you cut it where do you think its going and are you in the line of fire from it or the log?". You have to be their brains because they dont have any when they are that young and inexperienced. But they will learn by either of 2 ways if not taught properly, by watching several hours (over years!) of their Dad/others properly operating a saw or through personal experience. The latter is dangerous and can be deadly.

With that said, getting a small saw and allowing her to hold on it while making some small cuts is IMO a very good place to start. I personally dont believe any one at age 11 has enough foresight or knowledge to be able to operate unsupervised dispite any/all safety equipment. I agree with the approach other have suggested, demand your daughter demonstrate proper maintenance and safe operating techniques and demand she come out in the woods to observe/help with gound work as proof she is interested in operting a saw. Those are the dues you have to pay, and if she is willing to do that then reward her with getting some saw time.

Who taught you that? If you had initiative, you wouldn't use that kind of crutch. Some body should have taught that "one generation" to learn independently and to be accountable.

I'm only scanning for contradictions.

We were still required to use capitalization at the beginning of sentences. However.....
and just WHEN should people become independent and accountable? when theyre moved out? because thats a bit too late if you ask me.
""one generation" to learn independently and to be accountable." guess what you cant learn if theres no one to teach! you may be able to learn "indepenently" through research and such, but without someone to publish that information, you have nothing to learn!
and thats not to be confused with "inventing" because thats the only closest thing to "real" independent learning there is.

(wasnt it you that said all of your kids are in martial arts, and swim, and 2 are life guards? seems pretty independent to me:rock::dizzy:) you preach independence, yet you flat out say 11 is too young to run a saw, even though theres plenty of kids that prove you wrong everyday!
its not like the OP is throwing her a 70cc saw and saying "go cut that tree down" he wants to get her a smal saw, and TEACH her to use it properly! if she shows signs or tells him shes not comfortable with it then im sure he'll wait until shes a bit older.

"We were still required to use capitalization at the beginning of sentences. However....."
i could type my responses in all captials if you would like?
i though about doing it but other prople might think im yelling:)
i am glad you didnt notice all of my missing apostrophes, and commas, and lower case i's when referring to myself though, you would probably have made fun of it and hurt my feelings:buttkick:o

The Amish around here allow their young children to do adult responsibilities to help they often permit them to swing axes and take a team of Clydesdale horses into town with a 10 year old driver really crazy stuff I would not permit if it were my kids and so they are very much into logging in my area I asked my Amish friend about when they begin to train their boys to run a saw and to my surprise he told me Amish don't permit any of their boys to touch a saw till he's at least 14 because they need the reaction ability and the upper strength and they don't buy homeowner saws either the boys learn right off the bat on a 372xp husky then a 395xp for the big stuff . This way they train on bigger stuff to become really good and keeps them conditioned ..plus they don't go to school all the way through 12 th grade like most kids so they must prepare for their trade as a logger at a young age ..No limb saws .. they don't have a variety of saws just big pro saws to do it all . I ran my dad's rancher starting when I was around 12 which in retrospect was a foolish choice I have a bad scar on my knee that required 13 stitches from that saw .i was careful I was responsible I understood the risk and none of that helped me ..it happened so fast I didn't even know it till I felt warm sensation on my ankle and it was my blood running down my leg into my shoe . I would not recommend any kid touching a saw till 14 and that's only after they have proved they are strong and mature for their age. Its just not worth the risk. There are areas on a human body that if cut deep you will bleed to death before an ambulance can even show up in your driveway. Teach her to run a splitter teach her to stack or swing an axe just about anything is safer than a handheld chainsaw in a child's hands

Good stuff. you was right and so was demc570.
i hope your replys at least make sense to you, because they dont to everyone else, you leave 3/4 of your thought in your head, and just put random words in your replys:dizzy:
maybe if you actually put your entire though into the reply, then you wouldnt come off as a total moron

The Amish around here allow their young children to do adult responsibilities to help they often permit them to swing axes and take a team of Clydesdale horses into town with a 10 year old driver really crazy stuff I would not permit if it were my kids and so they are very much into logging in my area I asked my Amish friend about when they begin to train their boys to run a saw and to my surprise he told me Amish don't permit any of their boys to touch a saw till he's at least 14 because they need the reaction ability and the upper strength and they don't buy homeowner saws either the boys learn right off the bat on a 372xp husky then a 395xp for the big stuff . This way they train on bigger stuff to become really good and keeps them conditioned ..plus they don't go to school all the way through 12 th grade like most kids so they must prepare for their trade as a logger at a young age ..No limb saws .. they don't have a variety of saws just big pro saws to do it all . I ran my dad's rancher starting when I was around 12 which in retrospect was a foolish choice I have a bad scar on my knee that required 13 stitches from that saw .i was careful I was responsible I understood the risk and none of that helped me ..it happened so fast I didn't even know it till I felt warm sensation on my ankle and it was my blood running down my leg into my shoe . I would not recommend any kid touching a saw till 14 and that's only after they have proved they are strong and mature for their age. Its just not worth the risk. There are areas on a human body that if cut deep you will bleed to death before an ambulance can even show up in your driveway. Teach her to run a splitter teach her to stack or swing an axe just about anything is safer than a handheld chainsaw in a child's hands
guess you dont realize that can happen to anyone (even pros) at anytime, age isnt a measure of strength or maturity, when i was in 7th grade there was a kid in my class he could bench 300lbs (and i saw him do it) his dad owns a small logging/firewood outfit (him and his sons) and they all ran the equipment from a young age.
also look at dirtbikes/4 wheelers, any kid that rides regularly has damn good upper body strength because thats what it requires to handle them, they may not have it starting out, but they also dont ride near as hard just starting out, the stronger they get the better that can handle the bike and the better they can ride. everyone needs to start somewhere, some are just capable of doing it at a younger age... again age is NOT a measurement of strength or maturity!

That is true that age is not always a measurement of endurance maturity or strength but let's be realistic there is a reason 11 year olds aren't allowed to drive on roads aren't allowed to manage credit cards or allowed to drink alcohol ..their minds aren't developed and they have no personal experience to rationally think out the consequences of their decisions just yet they are not developmentally ready for certain tasks and in my opinion one of those tasks is operating a heavy handheld device with dozens of razor teeth on it turning 12,000 Rpms . part of being a good parent is protecting a child from potential dangers in life even if the physical ability aspect is met .
" when I was a child I thought as a child .. But when I became a man I put away childish things "

I grew up in a farming community where parents & family taught the children how to use tool & weapons safely, responsively, & to know our limits. They used common sense taking in consideration: maturity, size, common sense, desire to learn & willingness to follow instructions before teaching the child. By the age of 10 I had my own lawn mowing business. If there was a steep area I was uncomfortable mowing, I knew I could ask for assistance without fear of being belittled. At the same time I was using a chainsaw in a controlled environment. My brother on the other hand has a different personallity & was not taught many of the things I was until he was 14-15 yo.

With our children, we have a daughter & a son, we encouraged them to try new things as they showed interest but did not push them into things. However they did have chores/responsibilities as they grew up. Did they learn the same things I did at the same ages I did, no, they have different temperaments & interests. They both are able to use weapons & tools safely. Our daughter graduated high school as valedictorian & went on to become a music teacher. Our son was salutatorian of his class, a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy & is currently attending flight training. My wife & I like to think they are well rounded individuals who have been taught they are capable of accomplishing their goals while recognizing not everything is their forte.

You as a parent are the best judge of when you children are ready for the responsibility.

This said, a smaller saw with a sharp chain is a good choice but I don't like the bar tip covers. They have the potential of getting in the way & binding which could cause a loss of control. Wood is irregular in shape & while cutting the tip guard may clear the wood when you are rotating the saw but then catch while trying to remove it & can create an unsafe challenge. Also they prevent you from sliding the saw straight back out of a cut which is a normal movement when you see the cut starting to close to prevent the saw from being pinched.
thank you for the reply,seems you did very well with your children,and a right to be proud.....thank you!

thank you for good information and adding your personal experiences,some very valid points,all which i understand. thank again

guess you dont realize that can happen to anyone (even pros) at anytime, age isnt a measure of strength or maturity, when i was in 7th grade there was a kid in my class he could bench 300lbs (and i saw him do it) his dad owns a small logging/firewood outfit (him and his sons) and they all ran the equipment from a young age.
also look at dirtbikes/4 wheelers, any kid that rides regularly has damn good upper body strength because thats what it requires to handle them, they may not have it starting out, but they also dont ride near as hard just starting out, the stronger they get the better that can handle the bike and the better they can ride. everyone needs to start somewhere, some are just capable of doing it at a younger age... again age is NOT a measurement of strength or maturity!
thank you,also very good point as well,thank you for incite!----what ever i do, it sure will be with alot more thought on the matter...thanks again

Latest posts

Back