NEED YOUR HELP AND GUIDANCE PLEASE!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaw saw..bar is hidden until you have the branch grabbed, and that takes two hands. You would have to go out of your way to get a kickback with it, and even then, the bar is still inside the protective jaws. .

This is absolutely about the safest chainsaw thing made. You can cut small firewood and kindling with it. No sawbuck needed, nothing. No dangerous holding something with your foot to cut it. No gadget branch holder needed, store bought or home made, just this saw. You can reduce a random pile of branches, say 3 inch and under although it will cut a bit larger than that, to 100% cut to size usable firewood. I've done it, it works, it is a spiffy design.
thank you zogger as always your guidance and info are always top notch,i been leaning to the jaw saw more and more to start with..glad you had the incite to provide me with this information,thank you for the pictures.demc

My two cents. Each child is different in their abilities and aptitude. My son was 10 when he started using a chainsaw. He had always showed an ability to grasp the concepts and had an understanding of the consequences of not paying strict attention to the task at hand. This may not be the case with every child or for that matter some adults. Use your best judgement and err on the side of caution. Just because your daughter may want to use a chainsaw does not mean she is ready to do so. Or conversely, just because you want your daughter to use a chainsaw does not mean she is ready. I'm sure by now you have noticed that kids don't come with a instruction manual.DSC02906.JPGDSC02910.JPG

Lol! wow people. Not all 11 year olds are immature and dumb like your all making it out to be. Some kids are very responsible. I was driving cars at the age of 8! You all sound like a bunch of yuppies! Start them early, teach them right!

What is the right age to start running a chainsaw? a gun? a car? a tractor? a 4 wheeler?......there is no right age! Every kid is different!

I say get her a real chainsaw, one she can handle easily. Teach her the right way. There is no reason she cant cut some "newbie" logs, im not saying you should let her cut trees down, just let her cut some logs in half.

Talk about blowing a thread out of proportion!

My two cents. Each child is different in their abilities and aptitude. My son was 10 when he started using a chainsaw. He had always showed an ability to grasp the concepts and had an understanding of the consequences of not paying strict attention to the task at hand. This may not be the case with every child or for that matter some adults. Use your best judgement and err on the side of caution. Just because your daughter may want to use a chainsaw does not mean she is ready to do so. Or conversely, just because you want your daughter to use a chainsaw does not mean she is ready. I'm sure by now you have noticed that kids don't come with a instruction manual.View attachment 335321View attachment 335323
yes my daughter grasp things very well,heck i rember when she was 8,my dad got different 4 wheeler,she watch dad start it,without us even knowing it...the next time i went to dads,i needded to move the atv,and forgot how to start it,she said look dad push this,foot pedal, hold that,turn key,push botton...started right up......thats awesome your son can do all those things,it will surely put him ahead of the game in life,as with my daughter i just going to take it slow and see how she responds with out saw in the woods,and her attention span,and watch her like a hawk,a maybe later will see about trying a saw...thank you for your time and guidance with this situation....

I find it curious that most peoples answer is "No way in hell!", yet they talk about how they learned to run a saw when they were six years old. Why the double-standard? Kids are much more likely to do "manual" labor like this as they get older if they do it when young. Expecting to take a kid who lived in front of the TV or on the internet their whole life and then try to get them to help bring in the wood when they hit 18 is a stretch. Start them out young (as long as they are responsible).

My dad and uncle farmed adjoining land so we pretty much grew up together. One day my uncle's chore truck was missing. My 7-8 year old cousin had driven it 2 miles on the highway, though town, a couple stop signs, to another farm to feed the steers, and then brought it back. He started it in 1 gear, stood on the seat to steer and would jump down while hanging on to the wheel to speed up or use the brakes to stop. I'm sure he got in trouble, but I know my uncle was impressed that he had done it. In drivers Ed I rode with his sister and I would have felt safer with the 8 year old. Kids, you just never know.

"I find it curious that most peoples answer is "No way in hell!", yet they talk about how they learned to run a saw when they were six years old. Why the double-standard?"

This brings to mind something my Daddy used to say - "Just because you got away with something, doesn't mean it was a good idea." My daughter was eighteen when I taught her to use a saw, and it still makes her twitchy. Which is good - means she's thinking about it. Everything in life is odds - yes, the pros get hurt... at vastly lower percentages than non-pros and kids. It's all a balance.

I wouldn't let a kid that young run a saw, except maybe in very controlled conditions for a very short time - not because it's always a bad idea or because someone will always get hurt - and never will when they get older - but because the odds are unacceptably high, for me, for something they don't absolutely need to do until they're a little bigger, a little stronger, a little more focused.

My late husband died in a tree trimming accident, and it was six months before I'd drop anything bigger than a Christmas tree... and obviously the odds were no worse after than before, so I don't always take my own advice that well, but... as a general thing, I figure the odds.

Latest posts

Back