Needed a bigger saw. Can't afford new. Found a hardly used 064.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have had a hard life when it wasn't cutting the "1/2 cord" per year :msp_unsure: But on the plus side...... they can "take a licking & keep on ticking" for sure ! What is the compression like ?

Steve

From the cosmetic damage/bar being bent, my guess is that it fell off a truck or a log fell on it. I have not done a compression test on it nor do I have a gauge.

Make sure your crank bearings aren't loose. Try to move both ends of the crankshaft. I've seen the plastic spacers break that hold the balls in put splace. I've also seen them waller out the case on clutch side. Check your intake boot and all rubber hoses. Check your tank vent. That looks like a well used saw and should be gone through thoroughly. They make a great saw though.

Must have had a hard life when it wasn't cutting the "1/2 cord" per year :msp_unsure: But on the plus side...... they can "take a licking & keep on ticking" for sure ! What is the compression like ?

Steve

Make sure your crank bearings aren't loose. Try to move both ends of the crankshaft. I've seen the plastic spacers break that hold the balls in put splace. I've also seen them waller out the case on clutch side. Check your intake boot and all rubber hoses. Check your tank vent. That looks like a well used saw and should be gone through thoroughly. They make a great saw though.

I'm in agreement that the saw looks well used. And well cleaned.

Like Brad said, give her a good going over. Much cheaper to keep one in good shape than to fix after a failure.

Yes,,,

I'm in agreement that the saw looks well used. And well cleaned.

Like Brad said, give her a good going over. Much cheaper to keep one in good shape than to fix after a failure.

Yes and yes again,,, and once again,,, we can run you through the shaft/bearing tolerance checks,,, easy peasy!!!

So then do I take it off and bend it back or does that not work with saws?
Yes and take your time.. And tweak it a bit and recheck the fit,,, Repeat until you get it close and then re-attach,,, Nice saw BTW,,,,

And welcome to AS,,, Nice first post, Rep given,,,,

Last edited:
There has defiantly been some serious pressure put on that wrap handle. I doubt it was a log or that it fell off a truck, there is no way it hit hard enough to bend that handle but not break any plastic........ Yes, plastic can be replaced but why not replace the bent handle while you were at it? Plus the simplest answer is usually the right answer. My guess is there has been a 200+ pound guy leaning his weight into the wrap trying to force a dull chain through a log. If the tank is holding fuel then the tank should be fine, those tanks are actually quite flexible and a lot of their strength is gained from the wrap handle.

I gave roanoker a rep as well.

Had to play with the saw today. Started on third pull again. Took down a small tree. Only issue was that I had considerably less time to play due to how fast it worked through all the wood! This thing is great! No gas leaks or bar oil leaks. Air filter is considerably dirty.

I took the torx screws out of the handle and it did NOT realign. I "tweaked" the handle with a dead blow hammer and got it to fit better but not perfect. Rude dog is hooking me up with his handle and HD1 filter. I am putting her on the workbench now and will load pictures sometime this afternoon or night.

Mmm yes, half a chord a year, how long did that happen for 80 years?

Looks more like a couple thousand feet a day, 5 days a week. See how the starter cover is all worn down? that's from carrying the saw through the woods. That's one thing I like about stihls compared to huskys. A flat starter cover that rests against the leg nicely..

Does the saw rattle around when you give it a good shaking?

No matter, as long as the motor is good you made a good investment, going through the whole thing is a good idea though. .

I think your right 056, look at the rear handle, gas tank, see how nice and NEW it looks, even on the bottom, the rest of the saw bottom shows some heavy usage/milage, but not the bottom of the tank and handle.

Still if she's a good runner, she'll put a smile on your face...

My ol 064 is an ex logging company saw, looks like it's be drug through the bowels of 7ell, but she's a runner...

I have had this one for several years and wrecked the handle last year. Anyone had experience with a "skid plate"? Does it make it any stronger. If your saw cuts like this one you will be a very happy man. I did put an 066 cylinder on due to cost of an 064 cylinder though.View attachment 193017View attachment 193016

Last edited:
Good on you for getting right on it. You're doing the right thing. Get it right, take care of it, and it will likely be the last big saw you need to buy. I've built two of these and still have the second.

Here's the one I have now as I received it.
1168253639_hQmEA-L.jpg

And this is what it became. It now wears a 066 cylinder.
1205033955_T3Ghf-M.jpg

1186403991_wFerD-M.jpg

Good on you for getting right on it. You're doing the right thing. Get it right, take care of it, and it will likely be the last big saw you need to buy. I've built two of these and still have the second.

How did you do the cosmetic work? Buy new or paint? I usually do things like you do, all the way through.

I agree with 056.

Looks like it's been taken good care of but it's been ran quite a bit. have you checked the compression?

I disagree with roanoker in one small detail and that is the rear handle being bent by a log. I have seen many get rolled by a log and bent like that without breaking the plastic Now it may or may not have been the case, but it does happen. It's even happened to me a few times. :biggrin:

I have a really nice clutch cover for that saw if you need it PM me. I'll look around and see what else I have.

How did you do the cosmetic work? Buy new or paint? I usually do things like you do, all the way through.

I painted the metal parts with a fast drying acrylic enamel, intended for machinery. The tank/handle was just that nice under the grime. I put a new engine shroud on it and go lucky enough to find a new metal tag. They are almost unobtanium. Right now there's actually a NOS 064 shroud with metal tag on eBay. If I didn't already have one, I wouldn't be advertising it:)

I ended up using a rustoleum rattle can. It was a universal paint and primer in one for wood, metal, plastic or masonry. I have never used the stuff so who knows if it will hold up. Looks a lot better right now.

Back