Needed a bigger saw. Can't afford new. Found a hardly used 064.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did run it through some wood first. Hit a firewood pile and took down a small tree. post #28

Had to play with the saw today. Started on third pull again. Took down a small tree. Only issue was that I had considerably less time to play due to how fast it worked through all the wood! This thing is great! No gas leaks or bar oil leaks. Air filter is considerably dirty.

Get a new air filter or two and clean the old one really really good. Check it for any tears or cracks, then it could be used as a back up to your back up.

064 is cleaned up and parts will be ordered tomorrow.

I used Stihl degreaser, brake clean, Seafoam, a couple of toothbrushes and some screwdrivers to get all the dirt out of the saw.

I also used Seafoam to clean the carbon deposits in the cylinder openings and let it soak on top of the piston and cylinder head.

The cylinder/piston is currently soaking in Stihl decarbonizer for the night.

My parts list included AV buffers, a clutch drum, needle cage bearing, exhaust gasket, tank vent/insert, spark plug, carb kit, and Rudedog is hooking me up with a wrap handle and HD1 filter.

Here are the latest pictures:

I did run it through some wood first. Hit a firewood pile and took down a small tree. post #28

Had to play with the saw today. Started on third pull again. Took down a small tree. Only issue was that I had considerably less time to play due to how fast it worked through all the wood! This thing is great! No gas leaks or bar oil leaks. Air filter is considerably dirty.

Oops! looks like I should do my reading! The av mount holes look good on that saw.

AV mount holes were CAKED. Three of the AV buffers were bad. This one is pretty:

Looking good dude,,, you're gonna love that saw I have 2 good runners, plus a parts saw,,

Emory cloth will clean up the clutch drum

I ordered a new clutch drum since I got mixed opinions. I will still clean up the old one and see if the needle cage will fit snug inside.

As for the enjoyment of working on this saw: I am already looking for another 064 powerhead to take apart! What do you guys call it? CAD?

Last edited:
Rudedog is hooking me up with a wrap handle.

You getting a wrap handle or a half wrap?

A page back or so someone was calling a half wrap a wrap handle.
I believe your biggest problem is the wrap handle is bent

Wrap handle
13296_386950610886_513110886_4506095_4300103_n.jpg

Half wrap
192878d1312429392-dscf2975-jpg

Just making sure you don't get confused is all. Nice saw!

You getting a wrap handle or a half wrap?

A page back or so someone was calling a half wrap a wrap handle.

Wrap handle
13296_386950610886_513110886_4506095_4300103_n.jpg

Half wrap
192878d1312429392-dscf2975-jpg

Just making sure you don't get confused is all. Nice saw!

Yes confused with the saw lingo. three quarter wrap, half wrap, full wrap, wrap handle......I believe Rudedog is selling me his original stock handle because he got a "Full Wrap" like yours in the picture.

Lol, the one in the pic is actually a 3/4. :hmm3grin2orange: Full wrap is this:
attachment.php

See how it goes all the way under the saw? 3/4 or half wrap curves back like the one in the forestryworks pic.

Now I get it. Thanks. More than likely I am getting a stock Stihl half wrap. Now I have officially graduated from Junior Member :newbie: to Member :msp_lol:

Yep, I'd like to have a full wrap for my 660 but they are hard to find. Of course I could order a new one but they are expensive.

I put the oversized clutch cover on mine and it looks good on there. Just need that full wrap now. I like that 064 alot. I seen another nice one on ebay. Always wanted one. I need to try to find one to restore. But once I got it shined up i would probably take it to work and dirty it right back up. :tongue2:

I like that 064 alot. I seen another nice one on ebay. Always wanted one. I need to try to find one to restore. But once I got it shined up i would probably take it to work and dirty it right back up. :tongue2:[/QUOTE]

I plan on getting mine very dirty after cleaning it up....my 064 has a date with 2 large Oaks and a large Walnut. I will be the guy outbidding you on eBay for the next restore job 064 :potstir:

Well my closest Stihl Dealer was at an Ace Hardware store. The guy didn't seem to enthusiastic about my parts list yesterday (Sunday). I have not bought anything from him so I kind of understand. He said he would call Stihl today Monday) and then call me with the total price tag. I didn't get a phone call today :frown: On a good note, I have soaked the piston and cylinder with the decarbonizer for 24 hours.

I am doing the same thing except i am unsure if my saw is for sure an 064. Is there a way to find out for sure without pulling the jug and measuring the piston?

I like that 064 alot. I seen another nice one on ebay. Always wanted one. I need to try to find one to restore. But once I got it shined up i would probably take it to work and dirty it right back up. :tongue2:

I plan on getting mine very dirty after cleaning it up....my 064 has a date with 2 large Oaks and a large Walnut. I will be the guy outbidding you on eBay for the next restore job 064 :potstir:[/QUOTE]
Well bring it on buddy. :msp_sneaky::)

Well my closest Stihl Dealer was at an Ace Hardware store. The guy didn't seem to enthusiastic about my parts list yesterday (Sunday). I have not bought anything from him so I kind of understand. He said he would call Stihl today Monday) and then call me with the total price tag. I didn't get a phone call today :frown: On a good note, I have soaked the piston and cylinder with the decarbonizer for 24 hours.

That sucks. I would call him back tomorrow and see what he says. Tell him you had plans on bringing him plenty of business and if he don't want to help you out then you'll go elsewhere. Sounds like my local spot. Thats why I go to the next town over to order my stuff. Hopefully he just got busy.

Never met an 064 I didn't like.

Also, if you find yourself in a lot of complicated cutting, like picking apart a large crown, you might find that a 3/4 or full wrap gives you a lot more options. I know it's sort of considered a "West Coast" thing, but, really, we do stuff because it works. Leverage can be hard to find sometimes with the handle on the wrong side of the saw from you.

Never met an 064 I didn't like.

Also, if you find yourself in a lot of complicated cutting, like picking apart a large crown, you might find that a 3/4 or full wrap gives you a lot more options. I know it's sort of considered a "West Coast" thing, but, really, we do stuff because it works. Leverage can be hard to find sometimes with the handle on the wrong side of the saw from you.

I think I would like it and with more options to be able to hold the bar it looks to be safer as well. I don't like the price. I am planning on finding a parts saw with a full or 3/4 wrap handle then I can justify the cost. I lived out on the West Coast for a while but all I saw were Palm Trees which are not even scientifically considered trees! Really wish I would have ventured out and saw some Redwoods.

Back