Neighbor Complaining??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, this forum is becoming one giant whine. What happened to "Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning" ? :censored:

Is this some kind of group therapy about Neighbors From Hell ? Does somebody need a hug and a chorus of Cumbya ?

Deal with the problem, solve it legal or illegal, or get out, then move on. We've got too much to be thankful for. Or else, be warned , some of us will start relating some real horror stories.....think seeing your men not come down for breakfast. Or, watching guys with young kids, who had covered your a$$ in too many tight spots dying of cancer.

Sheesh, most of us have all 4 limbs, have the skills to use deadly tools, are self sufficient for heating, and are not (usually:cheers:) drooling at 0600 h. Flame away.:monkey:

JMNSHO

I understand your point about perspective. Of course, there are more important things in life, but sometimes the lesser things also need to be addressed before they get too big or someone does something stupid.

Problem neighbors sometimes are part of the firewood and wood heating deal--just the way it is. It's an issue that needs to be addressed and I think AS has the members who understand and can share their valuable experience with these issues. If nothing else, it can be therapeutic simply to vent here. (I do, however, prefer to do this in person with a few good beers.) :cheers:

Last edited:
I just think the key is never talking to neighbors. Ever. For instance I was just stacking a new row of wood in my backyard. I had to drive a stake into the ground, so I made a little noise. I noticed that my neighbor's fat nosy wife walked right up to the fence in anticipation of a conversation no doubt. I left the wheelbarrow right where it was, walked into the front and decided to split more instead. If you ignore the neighbors enough, they start to "get it" that you're not into worthless small talk or their worthless observations of what I happen to be doing on my private property that I have to pay $1700 a year on property taxes on. I look at it this way:
It's not that I'm anti social, I just don't have anything to say& I'm not a good listener.

I understand your point about perspective. Of course, there are more important things in life, but sometimes the lesser things also need to be addressed before they get too big or someone does something stupid.

Problem neighbors sometimes are part of the firewood and wood heating deal--just the way it is. It's an issue that needs to be addressed and I think AS has the members who understand and can share their valuable experience with these issues. If nothing else, it can be therapeutic simply to vent here. (I do, however, prefer to do this in person with a few good beers.) :cheers:

Good points. However, once the "problem" is outed, and all of us fill the ether with our wisdom of how WE would handle the NFH (neighbor from hell), let it go.

Just in case Here are the choices (maybe a poll ?):
1. Burn them out.
2. Be Passive and eat it.
3. Harrass the NFH....hard.
4. Move away.
5. Whine.

And no, you can't do ignore.

From my attorney. I guess I have 25 more cords to sell to be considered "commercial" :) :) :) :)

January 31, 2003 2003-R-0167
FIREWOOD SALES IN CONNECTICUT

You asked for a summary of state law regulating the sale of firewood.
The law prohibits commercial dealers from selling firewood by weight or load and from delivering firewood by weight unless a licensed public weigher has weighed the wood. The weighing must be done on a tested and sealed stationary scale. By law, a "commercial dealer" is anyone who sells more than 25 cords or 65 tons of firewood in a year. The Department of Consumer Protection licenses public weighers.

Firewood sold by weight must have a delivery ticket stating (1) the delivery vehicle's gross weight, (2) the net weight of the wood, (3) whether the wood is seasoned or green, (4) the price by weight, (5) the name and number of the licensed public weigher, (6) the name and address of the buyer and seller, and (7) the transaction date.
The law prohibits commercial dealers from delivering less than the amount stated on the ticket. It requires public weighers to weigh the truck before the firewood is loaded. It prohibits dealers from delivering more than one load at a time if the firewood is sold by weight.
The consumer protection commissioner has been authorized to adopt implementing regulations since 1980 but has not done so.
The law authorizes towns to appoint annually at least two firewood measurers. They must, when asked by an owner of firewood offered for sale, measure it and provide a signed certificate of its quantity. The law requires firewood to be sold by the standard cord containing 128 cubic feet of compactly piled wood. The law prohibits using the terms, "face cord," "rack," "pile," "truckload," or similar terms when advertising or offering firewood for sale (CGS § 43-27).

Good points. However, once the "problem" is outed, and all of us fill the ether with our wisdom of how WE would handle the NFH (neighbor from hell), let it go.

Just in case Here are the choices (maybe a poll ?):
1. Burn them out.
2. Be Passive and eat it.
3. Harrass the NFH....hard.
4. Move away.
5. Whine.

And no, you can't do ignore.

Thinking about #3 then #4 while I #5 and eventually #1. lol

I already have plans for the fall when the leaves fall. :) He already stated he hated the fact the previous owner left piles of leaves and brush against the fence. .... now there's no fence and so he can actually see it. :)

how much noise was the kid making before you started complaining?

6:45am using his wooden skateboard rolling it across a wood deck back and forth within 15 feet and slamming it down each time he turned. You can hear it from inside the house according to other neighbors.

Then..kid bangs on metal outside basement door which I think was only for spite. But it's an ongoing issue....Time is healing...This thread has helped for sure...

Now you tell me...do i have a "big" production?? I have 6-8 cords max on site and people burn more than that each winter! I give some away to family and friends and those are the trucks you see. :)

You know Cambium, I just don't think I could live out east. I'm sure it's nice in some ways, but I hear stories all the time with excessive regulations about everything. I never even thought about a license to sell firewood. I hope you can get along but having a neighbor with a kid with a skate board is odd around here.

Now you tell me...do i have a "big" production??

I'm pretty sure on other posts you've indicated a desire to sell 50 cords/year, which would put you in the commercial dealer range.

If you get into a pissing battle with a code enforcement officer, I suspect it's going to be a difficult fight.

VIDEO. I FORGOT THE LINK. SORRY.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/naturalstuff/WoodPiles.flv">

VIDEO. I FORGOT THE LINK. SORRY.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/naturalstuff/WoodPiles.flv">

Not to nit picks or start a fight but your woodpiles are kind of scattered and not very neat. Noticing the houses in the background you are obviously in a residential neighborhood and folks around those kinds of places care how things look. You might be well served to figure out how to make your piles more neat looking and organized. It will not take much more effort to make the ends square and keep the top height all consistent at say 4'. A nice neat looking pile of wood can be an inspiration rather than a eyesore.

My brother's commercial operation looks neat and clean from the road. When folks drive by they find rows of firewood parallel with the road stretching over 500' long. The front rows are made perfectly straight using string and the ends are square and the top is perfect. He has found several people taking pictures of the piles and the folks said they did it because it looked so nice.

He also keeps the uglier side of his operation hidden from the road. Logs, debris, the processor and stuff like that are all 500'+ back from the road.

Here is a photo of some of his piles as viewed from his house. Notice the neatness of the piles. There is plenty of other junk on the property, but the firewood is neatly stacked. It takes virtually no effort to pile neat and organized as it does to pile ugly.

LookingSouthEast.jpg

Your brother's woodpile is an eyesore to me curlycherry.

^See how impossible it is to try to appease an unreasonable person. Just kidding of course. If I based my actions in life around the premise that I wanted to please busybodies at all times I'd be a punk indeed. And to anyone that would consider my woodpile an "eyesore" what do they think their wife is to MY eyes? So we're even. Look at your own damn property. I own mine.

Back