Neighbor Complaining??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thread Cambium's been talking about getting a DBA and taking out a state tax permit.

That kind of blows the whole "it's only wood I use to heat my house" argument out of the water.

Zoning in Connecticut is well established. I don't think there are any towns left without it (two of the last three were near me in northeast Connecticut). It would be tough to find un-enforceable zoning provisions today.

Most of my town is zoned R-A -- Rural Agricultural. Minimum 2 acre lots, and the town's zoning regulations specifically include forestry as an agricultural activity. (As opposed to the state tax laws that specifically say it isn't :rolleyes: ) I'd be good to go here on that alone.

Our more densely zoned areas -- R-10 (1/4 acre) and R-30 (3/4 acre), which look like the neighborhoods Cambium posted pics of his house from but photos can be deceiving -- wouldn't allow it.

Those two zones are "home office" only, basically it can't look or generate traffic any different from normal residential use.

In RA, you can get a special permit for "home business" or "home enterprise" which include non-agricultural things like excavation contractors who want to store their equipment at home, etc.

Most of the towns up in this corner have similar rules, but as Swamp Yankee points out we're way more laid back then the opposite corner of the state. My town a couple years back rejected -- shot down in flames is a better description -- a handful of proposals including a "blight ordinance" and similar stuff to give the town stronger ordinances regulating how property was maintained and looked.

Hehehehe , if you knew what I went through with my towns zoning which ended up involving an attorney it wood blow your mind. Needless to say I ended up doing what I wanted on my property after the attorney got involved. Just because the town put a law on paper don't mean it's enforcable.
Small town officers usually let power go to their head and this time it backfired.
Sounds like this lady and her kids are real dooches. I woodn't worry about it for a handfull of cords/year.

bite your lip and go make peace with your neighbor ... before #### really hits the fan and it's no longer possible....

getting into a pissing contest with your neighbor is a no win

About 5 years ago I was in my backyard splitting&stacking. My neighbor peeked over the fence and said that he has chrone's (sp?) Disease, and when he sits in his hot tub outside the smoke hits him in the face. No joke- he actually said that. He didn't volunteer to pay my oil bill, (I wouldn't have gone for that anyway) he just basically was chumming the water to see what he could get away with in the complaint department. I just looked at him and said that my chimney is regulation and left it at that. I haven't spoken to him since&it sure is warm by my stove. I only burn seasoned wood. I learned a LONG time ago to never talk to neighbors, just completely ignore them. A "do unto others" approach, because that's the way I want to be treated. Good luck with your neighbor, but remember.... You can't reason with an unreasonable person. Sometimes the best policy is to completely ignore her as you go about your buisness, on your private property. This approach has worked for me.

Hehehehe , if you knew what I went through with my towns zoning which ended up involving an attorney it wood blow your mind. Needless to say I ended up doing what I wanted on my property after the attorney got involved. Just because the town put a law on paper don't mean it's enforcable.

Two neighobors near me here in MN got into a squabble that went way up in the courts and sure as heck the town's regs held. The two squabbling familys were siblings too, go figure. :dizzy:

My brother's neighbor tried to get his business shut down and fortunately he was able to stay due to the grandfather clause. We had photos dating back to the 1960s as proof and so we won. Without those dated pictures my brother would have been out of business.

I don't really know all the minute details of the OP's situation but this lady running her mouth with empty threats wreaks of white trash. Don't threaten to call whoever just do it.
I've lived at my current residence for 19 years. My neighbor gave me grief and called every local and state dept I know of in my state to get me in trouble for some BS reason or another for the first 12 years I lived here. I just kept my mouth shut about knowing it was him turning me in . The cops DEC and others that came to my place filled me in on who made the call cuz they got tired of coming out for nothing.Never wrote one single citation.

I kept taking pics of him doing his thing until he drew the final straw. Then I confronted him with some copies and filled him in that theres alot more where that came from on a disc and he better knock his crap off. No problems since.
I love revenge blackmail!

Two neighobors near me here in MN got into a squabble that went way up in the courts and sure as heck the town's regs held. The two squabbling familys were siblings too, go figure. :dizzy:

My brother's neighbor tried to get his business shut down and fortunately he was able to stay due to the grandfather clause. We had photos dating back to the 1960s as proof and so we won. Without those dated pictures my brother would have been out of business.

It's been 15 years or so since I went through my ordeal but I believe my attorney told me that a towns laws have to be approved by a higher power. County or state. Can't remember.
My town never went through the process. Just typed some laws out and tried to enforce them. He told me at the time that many towns were this way.

Here, a firewood biz is considered "agriculture"...and I live in the rural ag zone.
Word to the wise: An Agriculture designation comes with it's own rules and regs.
The small time Ag producer has a lot of rights.

Here, a firewood biz is considered "agriculture"...and I live in the rural ag zone.
Word to the wise: An Agriculture designation comes with it's own rules and regs.
The small time Ag producer has a lot of rights.

One cannot be too sure. Local Town here is fighting folks that sell produce but produce some of it elsewhere outside of the town. It may not hold up but it sure will cost some farmers a lot of money in lawyer costs just to be heard.

From twincities.com:

Lake Elmo gets ready for a fight over home-grown produce sales Federal lawsuit expected over ban protecting local farmers
How "local"does locally grown produce have to be? That is the question at the heart of a federal lawsuit expected to be filed today -- pitting Lake Elmo against a national advocacy group and its own local farmers. The Institute for Justice said Monday that the city's ban on the sale of produce or other products --- ranging from corn and flowers to strawberries and Christmas trees -- that aren't grown in Lake Elmo is a threat to...

Not true. You can give away as much wood as you want.

Depends on the town's regulations and the zeal they wish to enforce them.

As I said before, the vast majority of my town have fun, perfectly legal without so much as asking for a special permit for a business.

But in the 1/4 and 3/4 acre residential zones, they'd get you for not being an "accessory use" of a residential lot. Accessory use being what is subordinate, customary, and incidental to a home.

That allows you to stack firewood for your own domestic consumption, or put up a garage for your own automobiles, store your boat outback, etc.

Splitting, storing, and loading firewood to deliver elsewhere, even for free? Looking around my town, that's not a customary use, nor is it incidental to being a residence. Heating your own home is incidental and customary. Heating other people's homes is not.

Unlike some towns which have code officers cruising the streets, my town doesn't go looking for trouble, but they do follow up whenever a complaint has been made.

I believe my attorney told me that a towns laws have to be approved by a higher power.

That may be true in New York, it's not in Connecticut.

While there are valid disputes settled in Superior Court from time to time, the vast majority of the regulations on the books of the different towns have withstood legal challenges over the years.

Ah, the old neighborhood problem rears its ugly head.I hate to tell you this, but in short you may be heading into problems that you never thought possible.There really is nothing worse than an ongoing battle with a neighbor, makes you want to saddle up and move on but you hate to give them the satisfaction.
If I were you,before problems get out of hand, check into your local ordinances.Noise pollution,working hour restrictions,business out of your home,etc.Forget asking the local cops, most know the laws of the area that they are in,but nothing is worse than spending countless hours and dollars in your new business then get shut down by a little known and enforceable law.

Go down to your local city or county courthouse and ask for some help.Have them show you in writing what the restrictions in your area are,and dont take no for an answer.It has been my experience that most folks are understanding and are willing to look the other way if you are running a business out of your home as long as you are reasonable and are willing to maybe hand out a freebee once in awhile.

Our craft store started years ago out of our home,grew into a small shop behind our home, and all of our business shipped via UPS.Freight trucks stopped and plugged up the narrow residential street we lived on, and it was plain as day that at times I made a nuisance to our neighbors.I then distributed a flyer to everyone on our street a month before Christmas that I was offering free shipping for anyone that wanted to send gifts to out of town relatives.Sure, it cost me almost five hundred bucks,but the scowls at the freight truck turned into freindly waves and I had zero complaints after that.When we moved from that little neighborhood a lot of neighbors helped to pitch in and load the inventory,and not because they were glad to see me gone.They really seemed sad to see us go.We also from time to time would leave baskets of candles and fragrances on the doorsteps of our neighbors as a continuous sign of good will.
Since your neighbor burns wood, pick a time when she is out in the yard and looks to be in a good mood.Maybe a truck load of wood will sweeten the old gal up,it never hurts to try.

I can feel your pain buddy, I really can.I have been involved in a three year battle with one of my neighors now that never ceases to raise my blood pressure,yet I have done everything I can to dampen the old guy.Thankfully, he has a problem with everyone in our area so I really dont lose a lot of sleep on the issue.
Do what you can to difuse the situation,check into the laws in case you need some backup,and do your best to work with your neighbors.After all,if you cant have peace in your own home,where can you?

EXCELLENT RESPONSE, and very wise as well. I enjoy this reading! :biggrinbounce2:

Avalancher has it nailed......excellent stuff. We do feel your pain.

The neighbor from hell often has no solution other than getting out. There are many without a life looking for angst. Sad. The rational approaches, and the vengeful ones, as well as the ignore the B#@%$&'s do nothing. Some just have nothing in their psyches but trouble.

Our solution when "retiring" was the 4 Pee Rule: find a place ( rural, with a good sized woodlot) where the male can pee in the four cardinal directions without disturbing anyone ( bears, deer, coons, turkeys, etc.... excluded). And, except for one gibone who had to be read the riot act, all has been perfect. Sure, the mile long dirt road in can be a PITA in the winter or in blowdowns. Then again in a small village ( ~860 pop.) everyone knows the frequency and tone of your flatulations ( can we say "fart" here Mr. Moderator ?).

So, either the anonymous hard urban life, or rural. There can be no in between. Best of success solving the problem.

JMNSHO

You can't reason with an unreasonable person. Sometimes the best policy is to completely ignore her as you go about your buisness, on your private property. This approach has worked for me.

Its so nice to know people with good senses are still around...excellent advice which I had told myself years ago with them...then this kid just got on my nerves again and now I got heartache all over again.

You gotta see her mom...looks like the wicked witch of west. spitting image.

I tell you what...I'm going to upload a video of my wood "production" lol...Those of you giving me the agricultural mumbo jumbo will see Im a guy with 4 cords on hand NOT 100!!!! I burn 4 cords each winter... I know some who burn 6 including this no good neighbor.

And just to put a visual.. Mother Father in their late 30's. 3 kids. 1 daughter, 2 sons. 1 son is 18. 1 son is 10. Daughter is 12. They might even have another kid hiding I dont know.. Boat, truck, Escalade, Civic. Fish tanks. Private Schools. Husband blasts hard rock everytime he has a project outside from 8am - 5pm, no break in music!

i have new neighbors and they moved in with two dogs that they allowed to run free. within a week, we were exchanging words and i told the husband to keep the dogs off my property.

someone else must have complained because within a short time they kept them on a leash. but, the barking started...at anything that moved or not. i began yelling at the dogs to shut the #### up every time they started. again, talked to the husband...nothing. he goes to work and his PETA wife ##### lets them bark.

one day, after four hours of barking, i had enough. i walked out back with my camera and took a picture of her (now three) dogs. at the same time, she was in the doorway. about two hours later, two idiot sheriffs pull up and said she was complaining i was video taping her and her kids. i told the cops the ugly ##### should not flatter herself, and i took a digital picture of the dogs because they were barking.

i wasn't going to file a complaint, but, since she called the cops on me, i filed it. they were told the next time the fine could be hefty and they have kept them quiet. again, talked to the husband about it. i was really pissed that she called the cops and even more pissed that she lied to them.

the husband works on cars in his garage in his spare time to make extra money. i told him i've been writing down plate numbers for the past 6 months and i'm going to turn him in to the IRS. i also told him his ex-wife would be interested in the added child support he's denying her of.

i also told him i have no problem being the neighborhoods a-hole if i have to be.

no dogs bark any more....amazing, isn't it? and no more driveway full of cars being worked on.

i usually don't care what any of my neighbors do....they can run a crack house for all i care, i just don't want to hear it, but, when she lied to the cops, there is no room anymore to be a nice guy.

Damn, this forum is becoming one giant whine. What happened to "Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning" ? :censored:

Is this some kind of group therapy about Neighbors From Hell ? Does somebody need a hug and a chorus of Cumbya ?

Deal with the problem, solve it legal or illegal, or get out, then move on. We've got too much to be thankful for. Or else, be warned , some of us will start relating some real horror stories.....think seeing your men not come down for breakfast. Or, watching guys with young kids, who had covered your a$$ in too many tight spots dying of cancer.

Sheesh, most of us have all 4 limbs, have the skills to use deadly tools, are self sufficient for heating, and are not (usually:cheers:) drooling at 0600 h. Flame away.:monkey:

JMNSHO

i have new neighbors and they moved in with two dogs that they allowed to run free. within a week, we were exchanging words and i told the husband to keep the dogs off my property.

someone else must have complained because within a short time they kept them on a leash. but, the barking started...at anything that moved or not. i began yelling at the dogs to shut the #### up every time they started. again, talked to the husband...nothing. he goes to work and his PETA wife ##### lets them bark.

one day, after four hours of barking, i had enough. i walked out back with my camera and took a picture of her (now three) dogs. at the same time, she was in the doorway. about two hours later, two idiot sheriffs pull up and said she was complaining i was video taping her and her kids. i told the cops the ugly ##### should not flatter herself, and i took a digital picture of the dogs because they were barking.

i wasn't going to file a complaint, but, since she called the cops on me, i filed it. they were told the next time the fine could be hefty and they have kept them quiet. again, talked to the husband about it. i was really pissed that she called the cops and even more pissed that she lied to them.

the husband works on cars in his garage in his spare time to make extra money. i told him i've been writing down plate numbers for the past 6 months and i'm going to turn him in to the IRS. i also told him his ex-wife would be interested in the added child support he's denying her of.

i also told him i have no problem being the neighborhoods a-hole if i have to be.

no dogs bark any more....amazing, isn't it? and no more driveway full of cars being worked on.

i usually don't care what any of my neighbors do....they can run a crack house for all i care, i just don't want to hear it, but, when she lied to the cops, there is no room anymore to be a nice guy.

You'd be a breath of fresh air in my neighborhood.
We'd get along just fine.
I haven't talked to any of my neighbors in at least 3 years except the old couple (they look out for me so I look out for them and the others can pound mouse turds)on the otherside of me from the ####### and I like it that way

You'd be a breath of fresh air in my neighborhood.
We'd get along just fine.
I haven't talked to any of my neighbors in at least 3 years except the old couple (they look out for me so I look out for them and the others can pound mouse turds)on the otherside of me from the ####### and I like it that way

lol...yep..i have an older couple down the street i stop by every now and then to visit.

the rest of them i ignore.

I walk my dog 4 times a day. I talk to every single one of neighbors here and the rest I just throw a friendly wave to. Unfortunetly I picked the only ones who people dont associate with to live right next to.

Even the lady behind me with 3 kids said she doesnt want her kids playing with them because "those people think they are better than everyone" (her words)..

i advertise on craigslist , the town i advertise in is about 2 miles away, and very yuppy, i put my location, as in that town, and ive had quite a few people call me and ask to "come see the wood"... the answer is always no, now after reading this, im glad i always did deny them. a couple people have interrogated me on the phone "well do you have all the wood at your house in town?" ... "no"! i thought they seemed a little weird, never know what peoples agendas are

Last edited:
Damn, this forum is becoming one giant whine. What happened to "Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning" ? :censored:

Is this some kind of group therapy about Neighbors From Hell ? Does somebody need a hug and a chorus of Cumbya ?

Deal with the problem, solve it legal or illegal, or get out, then move on. We've got too much to be thankful for. Or else, be warned , some of us will start relating some real horror stories.....think seeing your men not come down for breakfast. Or, watching guys with young kids, who had covered your a$$ in too many tight spots dying of cancer.

Sheesh, most of us have all 4 limbs, have the skills to use deadly tools, are self sufficient for heating, and are not (usually:cheers:) drooling at 0600 h. Flame away.:monkey:

JMNSHO

I walk my dog 4 times a day. I talk to every single one of neighbors here and the rest I just throw a friendly wave to. Unfortunetly I picked the only ones who people dont associate with to live right next to.

Even the lady behind me with 3 kids said she doesnt want her kids playing with them because "those people think they are better than everyone" (her words)..

...and ?
Cambium, we get it. Deal with it. Nobody is shooting at you. Enough.

Back to "Firewood,Heating and Wood Burning Equipment".:censored:

Back