Neighbor Took Half Cord - No Pay - VENT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So get this... A neighbor of mine (not american) who grubs off other people. Who lets a 70 yr old cut their grass and not give anything in return, who takes and begs for wood for free from a 65 yr old down the block, asked me for wood 2 months ago.

Being a nice guy. Being a good neighbor I told him $100 for a whole cord. 2 weeks go by, no reponse.

I left a card saying I can do it for $50. (christmas time, I can use anything)....

He finally rang my doorbell and said he only wanted half cord. He gave me $25. Big whoop.

2 weeks later he asked if I can have the peices which I was going to throw out anyway. I let him have it.

3 days ago Friday he said he needed more wood. He wanted big pieces, not like the ones I had stacked (which are normal 22" split sizes) He wanted half a log. I said $30 for half a cord this time. Fine he said.... He's going to the bank and coming back with it. He didn't show up that night.

So yesterday I decided to roll out the splitter and split massive pieces for him. I spent a good 2 hrs on the Elm. Put it in a pile and waited for my measly money..

Tonight I thought a heard a truck. I look at my cameras on the tv and there he was getting the pile of wood and putting it in his truck.

I go outside...he acts all friendly...I said "you have the $30?". He said his account is Canadien and he has to go their tomorrow. WHAT?? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

" I told him I don't like to work for free and I broke my back making this for you, and you gotta understand this could have been $125 worth for me"

He then said he is either going to come back tonight with the money or during the week.

Even though it's only $30, I'm a little ticked off he came to load up without paying. Who does that???

So if I don't see the money by tomorrow night....guess what.............. he's right across the street........ you guys want pictures or a video of me doing it?

Last edited:
to cheap

your working way to cheap and letting him walk all over you. If you don't respect yourself, how can you expect him to respect you. put your foot down and start measuring your worth. I know that something is better than nothing, but there is a cutoff point.

GIVE TO THE NEEDY not THE GREEDY!!

a week ago i cleaned up my wood storage area, removed all the pallets, the rebar that holds the stacks, the shrink wrap etc... that was on wednesday, thursday i left town for the weekend. monday morning i go to load up some wood, and there is a pallet, empty with the rebar sticking up, and the shrink wrap hanging. tire tracks plain as day, foot prints, missing wood.
margins are tight in this business, and times are tight anyway. this cost me money, this was the wood that i buy and have trucked in because we dont have hardwoods here. what a piss off. the only good thing is they didnt take more.
i store my hardwood at a friends industrial yard because i cant get a 48' semi trailer turned around at my place. looks like i will need to figure out how to get it home behind a locked gate.

along the same lines, i milled up some perfect 5.5"x5.5" doug fir for a guy, i told him it was no. 1 FOHC, perfect stuff, dry timbers that have been sitting around for years. i deliver them, and a few days later he calls me all pissed off because the timbers are "too nice". he sells reclaimed and "cant supply perfect wood". i had told him that they were perfect with no nail holes, no bolt holes. now they are undersized and i have no use for them, there goes $600.

Don't do anything except sue him in small claims court. Or call the police. It is not worth it!

Other than that, don't do a thing more for him unless cash in advance.

Some of these people these days will just take and take and never do a thing in return.

I'll help those that can't help theirselves, like the elderly, the sick, widows but an A hole like that I wouldn't have let him have any wood in the first place.

When he pays, if he does, tell him no more in the future period, find somewhere else to get his wood. I had a similar situation with a neighbor last year on hay, took 6 months to get my money, it was substantially more, this year when he wanted to buy hay, I told him that he needed to find someone else to provide it to him, last week when the snow and ice were on he called wanting a couple of round bales for his horses, told him I didn't have any for sale, he says " You've got lots sitting down there in the barn, I replied "sure do and I need everyone of them". I think he finally got the message.

People like him are lower than septic waste. More than likely he has the money in his pocket.

Your a really nice person. If someone needs help I also try to help them. This though sounds like he pulls it a lot of this on others also. It looks like you knew he was like this and let him rape you. I would choke it up as experience and not allow him on your property again. You see him loading wood call the cops.

Go over there and take it back ,he didn't pay he dosn't deserve the wood . That's stealing in my book.

Beefie

i dont disagree---but--you know the saying about possesion is 9/10ths--and just try and prove its your EXACT wood--but he does have pics--id take it to court--and inflate the amount--small claims in iowa is 2500.00, should be about right--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Jack him on the next load...heavy. That should get rid of him. If he does not pay, consider it the price paid to never have to deal with him again.

If he don't pay and pulls the trick of getting the wood without permission, Either call the police and report him as a theif or knock his ass out in you're own yard. Or maybe both. Probably be better to report him to police as our laws protect theives and crooks. he would go free with you're wood and you would be in jail.

Confront him in front of his wife. Sometimes a little family embarrassment can lead a wife to knock her hubby on the head and handle things the right way. Or she could cut him off.

I had something similiar happen as indiansprings had.

Sold a lot of hay to a guy, showed him what hay he was buying. He wanted to use my tractor to load it. I had to take a truckload of hay to Illinois one day and when I got home late that night I saw all of my good hay was gone as well as the bale stabber. I called him, told him the hay he took was 2x the price of what he bought and I needed my stabber. I talked to the sheriff, then my attorney. Nothing I could do. Leagally. 6 months later I got a check for the original amount, not the amount for the good hay. I ate the loss. 3 years later I'm having a beer at the local tavern when a building contractor I know from another town sits down next to me. He asks me if I know this guy and if his word and credit was good. NO Told him my story, he grinned and told me he would get my money. Before this contractor started building the new barn, he put a lein on the guy's farm, padded his price for the amount I was owed, and BINGO, 3 years later I got my money, with 20%intrest, and the slob didn't even know it.

What goes around, comes around.

He never would have made it to my wood pile.

Give an inch and they'll try to take a mile. With the advance knowledge that you had on this guy, you might have figured that it would be better to have zero to do with him.

Look up DEFIANT TRESPASS law in your state. At some point, you may need to notify him that he is not permitted on your property. If caught after notification, he will go to jail and/or pay a fine.

Defiant Trespass law is usually simple to understand and implement in most states.

heprobably would have taken the wood either way.

If he has not gotten wood from anyone else, I would go get it back. No need to ask right? It's your wood and he stole it. Maybe get some claymores? LOL Good luck.

Back