never mind the safety gear, we're You-Tubin!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I noticed last night going through youtube video's that hardly anyone testing chain saws wears any type of safety gear.

In fact, most guys test chainsaws in shorts or sweatpants with no chaps, gloves, eye protection or face screen's.... I'm talking everything from poulan's fresh from the xmas box to 394xp's doing cookie races.

Now I'm not a safe-ist by any means, but judging from the amount of links to these chainsaw testing video's on this site and comparing all the safety related threads on wearing chaps.. there's a slight safety discrepancy going on within this chainsaw industry

just sayin ;)

I think when CAD sets in and the fever to be immortilized forever on the internet in your best attire takes hold, there's no time for safety gear.. gotta get out there and rip!

Last edited:
Been working for TVA for the past 3 years.. We ALWAYS have on our PPE,, Hard hat ,chaps (i like full wrap), ear plugs, gloves, safety glasses , steel toe boots...

I have got so used to it the saw feels wrong if I don't have on gloves and chaps.. So if I am testing a saw I will have on my PPE..

I'm guilty of running a chainsaw without gear to test something quick, but I feel uncomfortable cutting anything without at least eye protection.

What's funny is the sheer amount of video's with folks with pajamas. It's like the people that have time to buy gopro's, edit video, upload to youtube etc etc don't have time to put on pants and boots... just makes me chuckle because I know how long it takes to mess with video's.

Hearing protection: One thing to think about is that you can never get back hearing you loose by not using hearing protection. The highs go, then the rest slowley goes over time. But you can never get it back.

Chaps: you never see the need them until the day you cut though a pair. Or through your leg, knee, etc. Then you are a believer.

Gloves: I am finding as I get a little bit older that heavy gloves actually help with the arthritis in my thumb. Like them and arm chaps when working in ceder or when running a hot weed wacker.

Eye Protection: The war in Iraq prooved the need for balistic protection. Glasses shattered, frames broken - eyes OK. Another thing where all you have to do is have a chip removed from your eye and have a patch on it for a week or worse loose the eye to be a believer.

Practical reasons for safety equipment. Lots of folks have given there hearing, legs, eyes, and hands to build a foundation for the need.

Hal

As a young man steel toes and ear plugs were about it.

Never having an accident just means you've been really lucky so far. Luck changes in an instant I've found.

Beer??

Workin' and drinking does one of two things

• Either the drinkin' messes up my workin'
  • or working messes up my drinkin'
  • Its one or the other but NOT BOTH
  • same can be said about firearms

Speaking of You Tube, why is it when someone drops a tree on a (insert house, car, shed, power line, etc.) they are dumb enough to show the world?

I don't care if someone does or doesn't use ppe . its their choice, I' m not their dad.

I know better to use glasses, chaps, hearing protection, heavy leather steel toe boots minimum when cutting, never cut alone and so on.

It doesnt take a PhD to understand safety.

What chain configuration can the surgeon stitch up easiest?

chipper "?" , semi-chisel or chisel "7"

I have stopped filing my raikers and call it "safety chain":msp_razz:

Most saw experts don't use chaps because they know they're not going to saw their own leg, that's plumb silly. :chainsawguy:

p.s. Seems like one saw expert here video'd himself felling a tree without a helmet. The tree knocked him out cold.

Last edited:
I'm guilty of not being fully protected on a few saw vids.

In my (minimal) defense, there's a more controlled situation cutting a couple cookies on a test stand than cutting firewood out in a brush filled woodlot. I'm not calling it "safe", we know better, but the risk is less, IN MY MIND enough less to forgo chaps at times.

Feel free to light me up, but it's a heck of an improvement from 5 years ago when safety gear was something I knew next to nothing about, and used less.

I bought my 1st pair of chaps after I cut my knee . Just let the saw drop a little after making an undercut, and didn't let off the throttle quick enough. duh :msp_w00t:

So where do pajama's stack up in safety protection between shorts and chaps? What if dudes would wear a few layers of pajamas under their shorts?

I guess some of you hard core guys might wear chaps as pajamas?

I like the idea of flip-flops because the chain has a chance to fall between your toes instead of messing up your boot.

I didn't want to create a safe-ist thread, was just hoping to throw a little humor at the situation.

I'd love to start a "post the stupidiest outfit while cutting on youtube" thread... but maybe that would set bad examples... but if you guys have some....

That video list would look like "WallyWorld People" picture collections I'm sure.

Why do so many video's begin, "My friend has been asking me to show....."

So many U-goob videos are like watching the "Darwin Awards"

If I was an Insurance Adjuster I'd comb U-goob and Americas Funniest Videos and start scratching off any of my clients from their renewal

Guilty as charged.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U2S0I9cwS4s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U2S0I9cwS4s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I normally don't wear my PPE when making cookie videos, but I normally do when I'm actually working.

Latest posts

Back