"New" 70cc class saws... Dyno day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This seems to match the data.

My 500i produced a three cut average in that same log of 13.16 seconds. My old school 7900 "no cat muffler and 13,500 coil" produced a three cut average of 13.76 seconds. So there is really very little between them, the wood was a little smaller than it was with the Echo and Husky, so not a real direct comparison.The 7910 or whatever the Makita is called is not the saw it once was, at least not without some different parts. I hate to say it but in my mind the saw I always thought as the king of 70cc/80cc saws the last 15+ years has fallen, and not really do to power, the 500i is just better overall package. :cry: I'll have the video of the 7900 vs 500i when I get time to edit.

Like I said, Joe has really done a lot here. Not only has he developed a reliable way of measuring the engine power, and put it in real numbers, but he has also given at least some assurance that cuts times "however imperfect" have some validity. Because lets me be honest, we really didn't know.

My 500i produced a three cut average in that same log of 13.16 seconds. My old school 7900 "no cat muffler and 13,500 coil" produced a three cut average of 13.76 seconds. So there is really very little between them, the wood was a little smaller than it was with the Echo and Husky, so not a real direct comparison.The 7910 or whatever the Makita is called is not the saw it once was, at least not without some different parts. I hate to say it but in my mind the saw I always thought as the king of 70cc/80cc saws the last 15+ years has fallen, and not really do to power, the 500i is just better overall package. :cry: I'll have the video of the 7900 vs 500i when I get time to edit.

Like I said, Joe has really done a lot here. Not only has he developed a reliable way of measuring the engine power, and put it in real numbers, but he has also given at least some assurance that cuts times "however imperfect" have some validity. Because lets me be honest, we really didn't know.
Is that your channel?

Its funny but I would have never thought about the Makita or Echo saws in the 70cc category, because I just never see them in South Carolina. I don't ever recall someone even using one outside of work. Maybe there's people who are using them but I haven't met any of them.

Cool!

I’m having some trouble telling the 462 vs the 572 just because there are a couple different dark blue and teal lines. But if I’m reading that right it looks like the 462 beats the 572 handily at all rev ranges in HP and TQ. That’s interesting since I’ve seen it said that the 572 seems to pull better with a longer bar.

Cool!

I’m having some trouble telling the 462 vs the 572 just because there are a couple different dark blue and teal lines. But if I’m reading that right it looks like the 462 beats the 572 handily at all rev ranges in HP and TQ. That’s interesting since I’ve seen it said that the 572 seems to pull better with a longer bar.

We are talking .3hp ish and .4ftlb difference between the 572/462

Hard telling what people are feeling/seeing on the 572.

But on the dyno the 572 was a bit behind.

We are talking .3hp ish and .4ftlb difference between the 572/462

Hard telling what people are feeling/seeing on the 572.

But on the dyno the 572 was a bit behind.
Those are just those particular saws too. You could probably pick 10 of each and they would vary from saw to saw. I would say they are pretty even

My new 575 and 385 Xp with long bars weren’t broken in till each saw cut ten cords of firewood each. My older new huskys needed no breaking. I thought my newer saws cut no wears near my older saws. But when finally broken in they run like I expected. We cut shoulder high trunks laying on the ground at the saw mill.

There’s a reason I ran two 2100’s huskys.

My new 575 and 385 Xp with long bars weren’t broken in till each saw cut ten cords of firewood each. My older new huskys needed no breaking. I thought my newer saws cut no wears near my older saws. But when finally broken in they run like I expected. We cut shoulder high trunks laying on the ground at the saw mill.

I often wonder if it has to do with synthetic oil that we commonly use these days?

:ices_rofl:

Its funny but I would have never thought about the Makita or Echo saws in the 70cc category, because I just never see them in South Carolina. I don't ever recall someone even using one outside of work. Maybe there's people who are using them but I haven't met any of them.

typical I think.

Echos 70 is new and they didn’t make that class before that I know of. I’ve never seen a Makita chainsaw in my life. I always saw makita as a sub par or poor mans cordless setup. From what I’ve learned here, They made a good chainsaw.

Echos 70 is new and they didn’t make that class before that I know of. I’ve never seen a Makita chainsaw in my life. I always saw makita as a sub par or poor mans cordless setup. From what I’ve learned here, They made a good chainsaw.
Oh yeah. The 6400-7900 series are great saws. I had a 510 for a bit too and it was a good saw.

The power of the 7900 was always deceving, and the older ones were stronger and smoother. Red setup the saw as close to an old 7900 as it could be. My old school 7900 is just a hair behind my 500i. And even than each saw will always run different than the next. Too bad the EPA killed the 7900, and now Makita is killing it for real come 2022. :cry:
RAN THE COMPAMYS 500I AND MY OLDER 79 MAKITA TODAY ON A LOAD OF LOGS FOR FIREWOOD. SAME AS YOUR CONCLUSION... 79 FEELS JUST A TAD BEHIND THE 500.
BOTH SUPERB SAWS, AND THE 79 HAS BEEN RUNNING WELL FOR SOME YEARS NOW.

RAN THE COMPAMYS 500I AND MY OLDER 79 MAKITA TODAY ON A LOAD OF LOGS FOR FIREWOOD. SAME AS YOUR CONCLUSION... 79 FEELS JUST A TAD BEHIND THE 500.
BOTH SUPERB SAWS, AND THE 79 HAS BEEN RUNNING WELL FOR SOME YEARS NOW.
The results I have are interesting, a dead heat if you figure in the variables.[emoji4] The saws are both strong for stock, and again it's too bad the 7900 isn't what it once was.[emoji111]

Back