New 70cc Class Stihl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets be realistic . Best saw ever ?? You know what my best saw is ? The one that starts and doesnt leave me stranded in the woods ! Lets not make this a Chevy Ford thing . That stuff is childish . Lets face it . They all cost too much and should have more power . They all suck at one thing or another my friends :)

Dont hate me for making sense either !!
I was just thinking where is the dislike button for making to much sense and we actually have one NOW! I'm going to find a post I actually really dislike and use it now!

Maybe this will help cut the snow out of your ears... Current model is 7910.
Dolmar7900.JPG
So a 7900 is a Jonsered? That's cool, they make pretty good saws. Never heard of a "Dolmar" bar. I've got a sugihara bar, is "Dolmar" an offshoot of them?

fixed that for ya... :rolleyes:

Let's just be glad the Husky nay-sayers haven't arrived...

Either one is a good choice OP. Just thought having interchangeable bars is nice... If you're an astetics kind of guy get a 440 or 046 or 460. If the 044 handle breaks you'll end up with a flippy cap on the back and old screw in cap on the front...

Cheers!
Nathan

He are just kicking back listening to the debate!!:laugh:

I like the 044 or ms440 a lot more then the 441. I have all 3, i like the way the 44's feel and handle. i think the 441 cuts like a bastard but is kinda gompy feeling. Tryed the dolmar 7900 for a while but i just didn't care for it. cut really good but was fragile and moody. just my opinion. my opinion is always wrong acording to my last boss

Im a Husky guy as well.... and it seems like my Huskys carbs are more forgiving to temp changes . My little Dolmar 350 cuts great....but requires me to keep a screwdriver shoved into the L Hole during every new seasons change . Just keeps a fella in practice I guess . Like I said before..they all have there quirks . Its all what you are used too !!

Earlier this year, I wanted to purchase an MS-461R. I told the dealer that he had two weeks to get one. He assured that that he could.

Just shy of two weeks later, he called me and asked that I stop by and speak to him. Turned out, he couldn't get his hands on the 461R. He agreed to sell me a 660R for less than what the 461R would have cost me. He had the 660R in stock.

I'd still like to have a 461R. I like the 660R and have no complaints or issues with it. I do have a standing offer to sell it, and I keep thinking about that.

Maybe next year, it will be the year of the 461R. ;)

I have love and respect for all chainsaws ! I can find a positive and negative about any of them . It usually comes down to sentimental things . I was still a boy when my dad bought a new Husky 257 . Of coarse if my dad bought it..it had to be a stout saw and a wise choice . First chance I got I bought a Husky 350.....now Im going back in time..got a 261...266xp..and a coming to me soon Mastermind 262xp ! Every time I pick up that style Husky..it takes me back to my dads local hardware store purchase from back in the day...even if it wasnt too many moons ago !

Lets be realistic . Best saw ever ?? You know what my best saw is ? The one that starts and doesnt leave me stranded in the woods ! Lets not make this a Chevy Ford thing . That stuff is childish . Lets face it . They all cost too much and should have more power . They all suck at one thing or another my friends :)
Exactly! The 044 will always start, run and get the job done!

I'm looking at picking up a new to me 70cc class saw. I own mostly huskie but would like to give Stihl a shot also. So my question, which 70cc Stihl do you prefer? 044, 046, 440, 441, 460? I realize that whatever I end up with I will be happy but I would like to hear your opinion.

Andrew

Glad to hear the early 044s are getting love here. I have one on the bench now almost ready to go. Gotta pick up a flywheel key for it tomorrow and then I'll try to get it in some wood. I've never run one before. I've been working on the 1127 series Stihls all week. They sure have a lot of parts in them... Sold one yesterday, sold my son's Husky 455 today and have two more saws still up for sale and hope to move them by the weekend. (MS290 and Husky 55)
If I had a nickel for everyone on CL that said they were going to come buy them, I wouldn't sell them because I'd have the money and my saws too! So far two people have showed up and they each left with a saw and a smile. I finished installing an aftermarket piston/cyl kit into a Stihl 039 today and got it running. Needs to be further tuned and put in some wood for testing. I plan to mod the muffler once I finish initial testing. I did a little grinder work on the cylinder but wouldn't call it ported. Just "cleaned it up" a bit. Maybe widened the ports a couple millimeters or so.
If the 044 turns out like I hope, I'm sending my Jonsered 2172 down the road. I'm not real fond of it.

Back