New big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlKicking

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's about time to pull the trigger on a new saw. Before i do I wanted to get everyone's opinion one more time. I'm considering either the MS 461 or the MS 661. Please let me hear your thoughts, opinions and experiences. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumping takes a lot more umph then cross cutting. If I could afford it is would go 661. I have an 056 that works ok but man it about chokes me out.

I used my ported hybrid with a 28" bar to cut a 20" oak stump, and I was wishing the whole time that I had a 90cc saw. I cut a pine stump where the bar was barely long enough to cut it from one side, and it did okay. I'm guessing my 77cc hybrid will run at least as good as a stock 461, and I wouldn't want to try stumping with a 32" bar.

@Jon1212 I had a 660 and just didn't care much for it. I felt like it was sluggish for a saw that size. Granted it was bone stock. I'm hearing reports that the 661 is vastly improved in this area. I put my hands on one last week at the shop it felt better balanced and less cumbersome than the 660.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where I recommend a 395XP with a GB hard nose bar and some Stihl chains. There's nothing closer to a 3120 or 880 with long bars than a 394/395. The 661 is more of a competitor to the 390XP.

But if you have to have a Stihl, get a 661. Especially in southern hardwoods. Don't worry about M-Tronic, just get it, a hard nose bar and some round chains.

Latest posts

Back