New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was having trouble getting my TImberline set level and came up with the idea of using a feeler gauge. On 3/8 Oregon chain DG72 I am using a 13/64 carbide and gapping .095" above the cutters at the front and back. I have been taking very little off on two passes and it is the best I have been able to sharpen a chain in my whole 56 years.

I haven't tried the feeler gauge on a different size chain or with 7/32 or 3/16 carbides yet.
Genius! The biggest problem I've faced since owning this tool is getting it set the same way I had it set the last time I used it. Gapping the tool height to the cutters would allow perfectly repeatable results every time. You Missouri boys is purty smart and stuff. ;)

Just used mine for the first time on a never before sharpened chain. Mounted it up. Followed directions setting carbide to the "A" side cutters and while spinning the carbide tightening the tension adjuster. Did the loop with all "A" side cutters with small shavings taken off. Just enough to put a fresh edge on.

Went to try to switch over to the "b" side and the carbide wouldn't go into the tooth. Did some resetting on the jig while setting the carbide to both the A and B cutters and it worked perfectly. Teeth all the same exact size and with a razor edge. Went around doing both teeth and I love it. Glad I purchased it.

make sure you have the right carbide..i love mine but there is a learning curve...I have never had such sharp chains.It would take a expert with a file to do as well or any better.

Just used mine for the first time on a never before sharpened chain. Mounted it up. Followed directions setting carbide to the "A" side cutters and while spinning the carbide tightening the tension adjuster. Did the loop with all "A" side cutters with small shavings taken off. Just enough to put a fresh edge on.

Went to try to switch over to the "b" side and the carbide wouldn't go into the tooth. Did some resetting on the jig while setting the carbide to both the A and B cutters and it worked perfectly. Teeth all the same exact size and with a razor edge. Went around doing both teeth and I love it. Glad I purchased it.

Just curious as to how long it took to set up and do a complete chain? I'm sure it would get faster after using a few times.

My very first time using it and using it on a never before sharpened chain (more difficult from what I've read) Id say it took me a good 30 minutes. I didn't want to mess anything up. This is with me taking my time and using a flashlight shining light onto the cutters and setting the jig twice basically. I'd say next time should take me 15 minutes or less easily now that I have a feel for it and trust its results.

Just got my TL sharpener. Started by sharpening my husky chain, plenty of hours of use and sharpenings on it. Not sure how many times I went around until it all was even, 45 min total.
Then I moved on to my echo, only sharpened once with the husky roller jig. For some reason the newer chain gave me more trouble than the old beat one.
Tried them both in some maple, the husky hasn't cut that well in quite a while, the echo is back to cutting like new. I did notice the echo is throwing big chips and dust at the same time. Not sure why though, as it is cutting fast and straight.

I use my timberline every 4th time otherwise i use my little electric sharpener

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Back