New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned this tool for a year now, and have used it a lot. It's a great tool if you have loads of patience and time. It sharpens to the point of shaving quality, and the sharpened chains throw big, chunky chips. No complaints there. My complaints are in the set up of the tool. I can never get it the same from sharpening to sharpening without my notes, and gapping with a feeler gauge to ensure consistency between sharpenings (is that even a word?). The results kick ass. The process and time to achieve them.......not so much. Let's not even talk about the tendinitis from spinning that damn lever for three days in a row (I had a few days off).

And no worries about the aluminium guides wearing out. Just throw a dab of bar oil where the cutter spins and you're good to go.

It's a good tool that produces great results. But if you have a real jacked up chain, you're better off paying to have it ground than to make 4+ passes with the Timberline. My time is worth more than it takes for that.

i have a oregon hand guide a electris 511 knock off and the timberline ill use the electric one to fix the bad ones then ill put on the timberline

I wish I had the success as many of you. I have given up with my Timberline. When I bought mine, I tried to learn how to use it on old chains. I had limited success. So I finally bought a new chain and vowed to learn how to use the Timberline by touching it up every tank. By my third "touch up", I had screwed up my chain and brought out a hand file to fix it. I usually don't have trouble doing the teeth from the inside-out. But I think I mess up the outside-in teeth. I've watched every video on YouTube on how to set it up correctly, and I really think I'm doing it right. I'm just not getting good results.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

its hard to do on a old chain if the cut or filed lower edge of tooth is higher on a newer chain i set my tooth length and as im turning the first one i turn quarter turn remember just touching up not building a tooth . if one tooth every now and then doesnt shave as much off ill let it go and next time sharpen it should even out

I picked one up when on sale not too long ago and it worked well on my good chains.

Just as others have said, when I tried it on friends chain that was "rough/abused" it was challenging.

As I'm new to sharpening chains it seems to be a handy tool to "keep" a chain sharp but perhaps not so good on old chains.

ups just dropped off the new timberline sharpener a while ago. looks very well made, it also has the split dogs on it, will try to set it up
tomorrow and try it out.

well, I think that I am impressed , I got to try it out today on a .325 chain and it took 3 times at a little bit at each round to get it it right. I guess
I can not see any more, the cutters that i though was the longest, was the shortest, I did do a lot better on the 3/8 chain on the 24" bar with
the 7/32" bit. The key to setting it up is making sure that the bit fit's in the right and the left cutters at a equal angle. then you can screw the bar
knobs down lightly, ( note the center knob may be screwed in very little only if chain move sideways ) I think after sharping chains since 1972 that
this will help some one that can not see very good in later life. can't wait to try out the 3/8 semi chisel on the 576 xp at . my left cutters were over
35 degree's and my right cutters were about 30 degree's that tells me that I can not see any more. ( I think I will like this thing )

I have never used this tool personally, but have been curious about it for some time.

I really like the range of experiences and opinions posted in this thread by A.S. members, including first impressions, and long time perspectives.

This type of feedback, including 'Pros' and 'Cons' is very helpful for anyone else interested in this tool.

Thank you!

Philbert

I have never used this tool personally, but have been curious about it for some time.

I really like the range of experiences and opinions posted in this thread by A.S. members, including first impressions, and long time perspectives.

This type of feedback, including 'Pros' and 'Cons' is very helpful for anyone else interested in this tool.

Thank you!

Philbert
I just got my Timberline back from a member on another forum ................
Since you have been so deprived in your experiences as to have never tried out a Timberline .........
I happily offer to mail mine to you for you to borrow.
Try it out on several chains, take small bites and watch your skin, the little shavings love to "dig in"
PM me your address if interested

That was not the intent of my post, but I'll take you up on that!

I wanted to thank participants for one of the few A.S. threads that has really stayed on track. It was not worth $100+ for me to try the Timberline, since I am satisfied with the other methods I have. But I was hoping to try it at a GTG someday. Your offer may even be better.

PM on the way.

Thanks!

Philbert

lol we use die grinders at work and usually in bad places ive had them so much my hands look like i have freckles on them especially when digging a tube out of a steam header takes over a pound of rod to fill it back in

got my spare bits and the 25 and 35 degree inserts from timberline yesterday, want to try the 25 degree on one chain, just not sure weather to
try it on the semi chisel or the full chisel, I am thinking the full chisel might stay sharper slightly longer, any body have any thoughts on that?

Back