New chain vs sharpened.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I will just get to the point this time and tell the story how in 1992 my buddy that had a lot of fire wood experience with is Dad and he started a tree thinning job with me in the Intirior.
He bought a 377 Shindiawa off a friend of ours that was a mechanic for them and gave a deal. I had a 42 husky.( my fist saw) He exclamed how he loved a new chain and I said "heck no...thats factory dull"....So I filed them up.We partner up on a strip. He had falling experience so he did all the falling of the misteltoe pines and I started the thinning.
just before our first break..he does a one hand back hand and the tree sets back and he keeps his hand on the trigger as he pushes and the thing shot out and cut through his New 3150 FPM fallers pants at the bottom of the knee cap and cut his leg better than half off. 37.7 cc.
The Boss Oliver asked what happened and I explained. He said ..."One handed back hand!...Very dangerous! never do a one handed back hand"...I said...he said he seen you do it?...he said.."he probably did too".

the morrow of the story? there is no morrow of the story. Im about to wrap my own Christmas presents.

well I did become the faller .

Waiting.
j

I guess the point is between 89- 92 Somewhere ?...before I owned my first saw. I was filing factory chain off the jump.
That was my earliest recolection above.
I could never improve at chomping through the wood from the early days.
I would just learn how to not chomp through the wood and work with the dogs and 'balance' It takes years...
...which brings me to my next story

...to be continued

I better pay more attention to my baby saws...well I do, but **** happens fast especially when you don’t follow best practices.

It’s always good to have reminders

Why did that chain go right through his pants? 3150 pants?

I better pay more attention to my baby saws...well I do, but **** happens fast especially when you don’t follow best practices.

good question ...Another great
question was what made it shoot out?

(Just take a coffee break guys
I'll Just take it from here.

The 3150 were decertifided sometime in the 90's through WCB. 3600 FPM is their standard but still have to adhere to the highest standard. In G&O these days its often 3900 or 4100 with wrap around caves.

So they were not the best.
I've put a couple of teeth im my knee a few times with virgin pants. (4100)
its a lot to do with how tight the material is at contact. So the knees are most varnable Chaps are loose and when snaged ...they will pull them away from the body part.
square chain can be scarry over the knee area.

talking about round file though.

As far as my Good friends accident...in
General its the tip that surge into the cut. (bad chain, uneven) into the cut when you cut on the push with one

hand. You can do it
1 milion times but you will only do it wrong once.

It CAN shoot with out the tip coming into play with a gunned trigger with releife of pressure from the tree with the teeth on the cut. that's happened to me too.
In his case? IDK ....
high rakers even filed chain.
16-18" wood and probably 18" bar
that doesn't happen twice either

Srry ...suffering from PE again.
You get used to apologizing .

"did a confer " (job) The company had a confer contract from their home town) So they middle it between the (BCFS) forest service and held the viewing and use their money to pay the
sucssesful tender of a percentage. I got invited to bid on the job. I had only done it a month but caught on quick. I wasn't the best but since most all stayed in tents and worked when we felt like it and drank when we felt like it...guess who became high producer on a 400 hectare (1000 acres) job.

edit..TBC

"it happen again"

^^^...thats the apology

going to be a long dirty story

Im going to have to tell this story first.
may take a few days

Srry ...suffering from PE again.
You get used to apologizing .

"did a confer " (job) The company had a confer contract from their home town) So they middle it between the (BCFS) forest service and held the viewing and use their money to pay the
sucssesful tender of a percentage. I got invited to bid on the job. I had only done it a month but caught on quick. I wasn't the best but since most all stayed in tents and worked when we felt like it and drank when we felt like it...guess who became high producer on a 400 hectare (1000 acres) job.

edit..TBC

"it happen again"

^^^...thats the apology

going to be a long dirty story

Im going to have to tell this story first.
may take a few days

Dude, you're approaching babbling.

Dude, you're
approaching babbling.
I earned the right to say what I want F*er. If its not your cup of tea then move on by.

Have many people did you know that got killed on the job and you were among the first to arive on the seen ? How many people did you personal know that get killed in the last 5 yrs in your profession.
nobody is twisting your arm to read what I write .
F* OFF

don't read!

I earned the right to say what I want F*er. If its no your cup of tea then move on by.

Have many people did you know that got killed on the job and you were among the first to arive on the seen ? How many people did you personal know that get killed in the last 5 yrs in your profession.
nobody is twisting your arm to read what I write .
F* OFF

don't read!

Tried English as a first language? I already know (and choose not to use) what seems to be a lot of your vocabulary. What does dying folks have to do with what you posted and my comment?

Tried English as a first language? I already know (and choose not to use) what seems to be a lot of your vocabulary. What does dying folks have to do with what you posted and my comment?
Right, had you not posted back then I would have said the same thing in regards to 'my profession'. There is no relevance. It doesn't matter what site I would be on. Journeying is healthy. If I like to tell stories then so be it.
Some people enjoy then regardless of my f*en shìt English. For some it make it funnier. It takes all kinds...including the likes of you I suppose...and that's really sad.

I'm not bothering anybody.
I could go to of topic and start a thread and start having some creative fun but you and every troll that thinks like you will come around and take a pop shot...
You know why that is? because that's all people like you have.

I could be on topic here and quote many experienced people and be in disagreement from what I read but then there will be 'another unknown' just like you that will accuse me of 'calling people out'.

Damed if you do and you're G* Damed!! if you don't.

Since you can't contribute, do you thing you can find somewhere else to play?

I only ever hired an English teacher for a BJ.....obviously. Right?

Latest posts

Back