New chain vs sharpened.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westboast’s first story describes a situation where a coworker hurt himself badly while back-barring onehanded (???) in a falling cut which pinched lightly and then kicked the saw right into his knee. It was a lesson.

I appreciate lessons from pros.

This lesson shows one of the reasons why all saws on jobs up here have to be full wrap.

I have no full wrap saws. Due to Westboast’s story (and those of others over the years) I will start walking around the tree again...

Never get complacent.

Thanks Westboast!

Westboast’s first story describes a situation where a coworker hurt himself badly while back-barring onehanded (???) in a falling cut which pinched lightly and then kicked the saw right into his knee. It was a lesson.

This lesson shows one of the reasons why all saws on jobs up here have to be full wrap.

I have no full wrap saws. Due to Westboast’s story (and those of others over the years) I will start walking around the tree again...

Never get complacent.

Thanks Westboast!

Right, never get complacent but this was more of an inexperience factor.

He was fine BTW. I brought him in as a Partner in the following spring of 93'
I was the sucsesful bid on the confer job therefore I had a reference to bid Ministry of forest contracts 50 hectares and under. We had three jobs that I bid in the fall before. He quit a union job at the Coast bastion hotel to do this the first time. So that what friends do.

One fall I was scouting a job north of ft St. John

I was on a trail on my quad in the rain. As the rain subsided the clay got sticky and started to build on my tires to the point I could no longer move. I dug and I dug...thankfully, it started pouring again and I was able to make it out of their after a couple of hours delay.

In the dark..

So you were a cat push in Seismic, you mentioned before. When did you get out of the game? I never ever started going north in the winner until 2004/2005 winter. Past the line of sight days and just at the end of the cat cut.
It was all going Mulchers. I mostly did a lot of heli portable to about 2009 then chasing Mulchers

'fore skin John' you say. My first job Seismic job was in Pink mountain
in the middle.of FSJ and FT Nelson on the Alaska HWY. Sasquach crossing.
The have the big Sasquach on the side of the road waving...lol
I guess th natives glued a 40 oz'r to his waving hand..haha
prety funny.

Did you see the video of then riding the swimming moose in the lake.in FSJ from the boat? YouTube moose rider.
I know those boys well. they got a 4,600 fine for that. they can shoot then but never ever stress out the animals.
check out the vid

I started pushing dozers in ‘86. At that point I was a relief guy. By ‘90 I was “the guy”.

In 86 it was straight cut, 8m wide D7’s and even an 8 or two.

By 90 “moose blinds” were starting to come in in some forestry areas and the lines were getting narrower fast.

That’s when slashers started to carry line with sticks. Tough, tough work running behind the lead cat in deep snow and knocked-down trees. Especially in -50c. The coldest I saw it was around -60c, warming to around -50 by midday. And yes, we worked in that stuff. Me on a sled out in the middle of nowhere figuring out the next move while the boys smashed trees in the bush.

You must have started not long after mulchers took over, by a few years...

I did lots of mountain work too, from about ‘83 to 90 every summer and then another bunch of summers after that.

Ahhh, Sasquatch crossing. Accommodations to the stars..

Ha!

If some of those Alaska highway places can’t kill you, nothing can.

Blankets freezing to the wall...

Froze sewers coming back up..

Moose burger surprise every night. Some of us knew that wasn’t beef..,

I prefer moose anyway, but don’t call it beef stew...

I worked many years up that highway.

Those lines you travelled for access?

I and a handful of others pushed them. Put them there.

It was getting almost civilized by the early 2000’s

I will find the video. Silly boys!

I just checked out “moose rider”

Woohoo!!!!!!!

That was great! Didn’t hurt the moose a bit!

Who was that? I gotta shake his hand!

Fricken Indian cowboy! Right on!

Gotta watch it again...

I earned the right to say what I want F*er. If its no your cup of tea then move on by.

Have many people did you know that got killed on the job and you were among the first to arive on the seen ? How many people did you personal know that get killed in the last 5 yrs in your profession.
nobody is twisting your arm to read what I write .
F* OFF

don't read!
I know of plenty that have died & been badly injured in logging & other industries, I can only understand a small part of what you are talking about sometimes, at other times absolutely nothing, those outside your regional language circle need common terminology to understand you.
Thanski

Never get complacent.

Thanks Westboast!

Ok .. Maybe give a better understanding as to what happened, since you are interested. We didn't use wedges on tree spacing/thinning jobs. There was no standards until June of '93. So all the snag falling on said jobs would require a 3 day course. Basically someone with the ticket would take care of it. Like Seismic, everyone had to have a PITS ticket but they would snag fall with the lean. Had to tell that story just to get rid of some troll F*ers.
So the tree set back and stopped the chain and he pushed the tree with one hand and keeped the trigger pined.
So when it stops it CAN BE similar to sticking your saw in a log to hold. You have to rev it up then let go of the trigger
so it locks in to partly severed chips and that's what hold the saw. As a matter of fact thats how you jump over a 5,6,7, ft high log from the low side generaly. throw the saw across the path you are jumping into at full throttle.

Full throttle throw it up the log crossing the body path, left caulk boot jump.
Trigger off in mid air and
pull with right hand as the the slowing chain digs in. Timing thing.

A lot of things are dangerous. Its understanding 'why' and 'how'
On regards to buddy...I have had that happen when you break it free and it takes a dirty bounce from the half severed chips and you are pushing back from the chain force with antyour right hand...it takes the path of least resistant.
Most all kickbacks are inertia brake kickbacks these days (tip involvement)
However! The worst are when the brake does not activate. This is caused by 'movment'. Most always its the movment of what it came in contact with REGARDLESS if it is the bar bottom (cutting on the pull) back bar (cutting on the push) or tip involvment . other times it will be against a solid tree on the very tip end
(running the tip) and you are caught off guard with a bad grip or you recover.
Loose 'objects' will not activate the brake. Lastly the other would be kicking straight back out of the cut. Generaly you feel the side pinch and you pull as the cut closes on the tip.
I've had my screen smashed in from climbing down hill with the chain still running and it hitting the top end grain of a small saplings I just cut. Its the movment of the high stump that thows it back at you. nothing to do with the tip.

I will happen every time that way if you come off the trigger with an
aggressive chain and movment on an end grain.

As far as 'walking around the tree'
...I don't think so friend
would that not put you on the low side of the tree at times?

yes it would. And I don't like that at all, so I'll walk when it feels right, and backbar two handed otherwise, thank you very much.

And, like all saw hands.....you're lucky you're not dead. It pays to be quick my friend!

who was riding the moose? I just might know him. Or not.

Back