New chain vs sharpened.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m assuming that means 25* angle is more durable than a 35* just not as sharp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angles of 25* verses 35* has nothing to do with "sharpness" - Both those angles would be "equal" in sharpness.
35* is simply more aggressive than 25*

For example, 25* would be better suited to Oak, where as 35* would be better suited to Poplar. (smaller that angle is, the finer your saw dust)

If your wood was frozen the 25* would also be better suited (not so herky jerky) and also hold it's edge a little better than the more aggressive 30* or 35*

I never messed around with changing the angles too often - as the timber in my neck of the woods is normally a 50/50 mix of Hard & Soft wood species.
About 30* was usually a good all around catch all.

Now if i happened to get into a big patch of Poplar and knew I'd be dropping 90% poplar all freakin' day, then I might go pretty aggressive on the angle and make the chips coming out of that saw look like a popcorn popper.

Angles of 25* verses 35* has nothing to do with "sharpness" - Both those angles would be "equal" in sharpness.
35* is simply more aggressive than 25*

For example, 25* would be better suited to Oak, where as 35* would be better suited to Poplar. (smaller that angle is, the finer your saw dust)

If your wood was frozen the 25* would also be better suited (not so herky jerky) and also hold it's edge a little better than the more aggressive 30* or 35*

I never messed around with changing the angles too often - as the timber in my neck of the woods is normally a 50/50 mix of Hard & Soft wood species.
About 30* was usually a good all around catch all.

Now if i happened to get into a big patch of Poplar and knew I'd be dropping 90% poplar all freakin' day, then I might go pretty aggressive on the angle and make the chips coming out of that saw look like a popcorn popper.

I guess I should have said “aggressive” instead of sharp . My bad

Perhaps HarleyT forgot when I received a 100' reel of Oregon 75LGX that had the entire reel made with the left rakers (depth gauges) lower than the right rakers. This was verified by a local chain sharpening company. There is no certainty that a new chain loop or a reel is made correctly. In my case, the entire reel was defective. Oregon replaced it.

Perhaps HarleyT forgot when I received a 100' reel of Oregon 75LGX that had the entire reel made with the left rakers (depth gauges) lower than the right rakers.
Special chain designed to resist strong gravitational pull near the equator - just got shipped to the wrong distribution zone.

I'm waiting for one that is reduced kickback on one side only, for passive aggressive types.

Philbert

A drinking hand filer's chain???

I never Drink & File - I always drink FIRST, and then FILE .....preferably while listening to George Jones belt out

"It's Finally Friday" ... free again .... get my motor runin' for a wild week end .... da da da da da ;)

Also love singing along with the part,

"Got a hundred dollar's in my bill fold ........ cause I didn't waste it on gadgets and wheels"
"Bought me a file, and went to the woods ....... cause that's all she takes to cut real good" .......da da da da da :givebeer:

Harley needs to order a roll of Stihl m-tronic test chain
It has no cutters at all for as long is the loop he makes
Then he might realize that when ripping wood needs a lot of skips to reduce plugging of the long noodles it produces

When I was cutting 56” plus oak trees and hedge I about built a ripping chain just for it

But I found out if I hold the bar at a 10 -15 degree angle it wouldn’t plug as often
And not as fast as a ripping chain
10-0-10

Harley needs to order a roll of Stihl m-tronic test chain
It has no cutters at all for as long is the loop he makes
Then he might realize that when ripping wood needs a lot of skips to reduce plugging of the long noodles it produces

When I was cutting 56” plus oak trees and hedge I about built a ripping chain just for it

But I found out if I hold the bar at a 10 -15 degree angle it wouldn’t plug as often
And not as fast as a ripping chain
10-0-10

Harley I’m not belittling you

There is a chain for every thing that can be cut at any direction
Except for solid steel
Concrete
Drywall or sheet rock
LP panel
OSB panel
About any building materials can be cut with chain saw chain
Philbert did bring this to my attention but Stihl make a whole line of scratcher chain that is NOT offered to Stihl dealers
The only way you can get them is through Holtec saws
They are in cahoots with Stihl

And again I didn’t mean to belittle you

I like the controversy you and Philbert and others bring to the forum!

(We might have scared away another new guy. Sorry Doug.)

Philbert
? Not at all. I'm only new to this particular forum. Trust me, I've been around. My grandmother taught me it was best to listen. "It is better to keep one's mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Harley I’m not belittling you

There is a chain for every thing that can be cut at any direction
Except for solid steel
Concrete
Drywall or sheet rock
LP panel
OSB panel
About any building materials can be cut with chain saw chain
Philbert did bring this to my attention but Stihl make a whole line of scratcher chain that is NOT offered to Stihl dealers
The only way you can get them is through Holtec saws
They are in cahoots with Stihl

And again I didn’t mean to belittle you

I like the controversy you and Philbert and others bring to the forum!

Im a plasterer ( drywall in aMerican) And I never thought of cutting Dry wall with a chainsaw. Sounds like fun but bit dusty and a bit hard to get accurate.
But if you stacked them to trim one length that would be fun I think.

2988312544845e6421a4016a731fde88.jpg
15ad1a3d021393d70347f3bf6ec12934.jpg
848c933eb80d7dffcfa1c18af55cfeaf.jpg
2ad7e57718b2e0e5d9955d4ea79d04ca.jpg

Two different styles of chains for two different uses, the first is GB 404 harvester ground at different angles then factory with a flat wheel, second is straight off the roll GB 404, third and are 3/8’s 63 gauge semi skip saw chain square ground we run when hand falling.

So with a chain with most of the cutters ground off?

I only run full chisel chain, havn`t bought a semi chisel chain since the mid 70`s and skip chain is not available here unless ordered in. I have maybe a 100 feet+ or- a link of 3/8" skip chain, just never run it yet. Bought it to run on the Alaskan when I wear out the dedicated ripping chain I have on hand.

Latest posts

Back