New chain vs sharpened.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Don't have, or even knew such a thing existed. LOL!
$7 digital tire pressure gauge, adapted for this use by another member. Described in one of the threads referenced above.

It can be helpful as an educational tool, especially when someone brings in a 72 DL chain with 36 different depth gauge settings!

Philbert

$7 digital tire pressure gauge, adapted for this use by another member. Described in one of the threads referenced above.

It can be helpful as an educational tool, especially when someone brings in a 72 DL chain with 36 different depth gauge settings!

Philbert
A drinking hand filer's chain???

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer
Nice one. There are obviously many who can accept there is more to learn than what they currently know. It's quite interesting how our own egos can both harm and help our learning, depending on the person and their ego.

In all fairness, most here are wasting their time cutting wood. With such zeal and exacting perfection, most here could be submarine commanders, inventing cold fusion, finding a cure for cancer, discover time travel or interstellar warp speed travel, etc.

A 1/1000 difference between a couple of rakers ruins your day? For the betterment of human kind apply yourselves to something truly great.

I agree
But I do sharpen commercial chains
They cut entire bundles of lumber for modular homes
Holtec saw
There specs require this attention and I carry this over for my saws and my customers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree
But I do sharpen commercial chains
They cut entire bundles of lumber for modular homes
Holtec saw
There specs require this attention and I carry this over for my saws and my customers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People (older folks?) in my area pay to have a log trucks worth of logs (ten cords) dumped on their property. Looks like fun to just cut a few logs at a time, on flat ground, no branches, etc. Every cord I cut is hours of intense labor, with a good amount of risk involved. Had I an easier time of it all, I would probably explore much of what you guys do. It is fun, but 10 cords is a lot for me. I got the saws, the splitter, but getting to the wood and getting it off the mountain or thru the forested area is a huge part of my effort.

Gotta spend the felling and firewooding $ on something, so he spends it on 'models', alcohol, firewood tools. The rest of it he wastes?
I always ask him about living up there.
"What in the hell does someone do while living a month in the dark?"
I could probably keep busy when I was a young man, had all kinds of fun in the dark.
But as an old man, I don't have much fun anymore......

People (older folks?) in my area pay to have a log trucks worth of logs (ten cords) dumped on their property. Looks like fun to just cut a few logs at a time, on flat ground, no branches, etc. Every cord I cut is hours of intense labor, with a good amount of risk involved. Had I an easier time of it all, I would probably explore much of what you guys do. It is fun, but 10 cords is a lot for me. I got the saws, the splitter, but getting to the wood and getting it off the mountain or thru the forested area is a huge part of my effort.
Last Friday I split all the logs that I needed for a truckload, loaded them, and delivered it. Five hours (including an hour for driving each way) were required. I really understand what you are saying. Best part about all this was the sunshine, fresh air, and exercise. If I did not look at it that way, I would not do it at all.

One thing I have noticed is that before I go out and cut any wood with my saws, I sharpen their chains. If I do not do that, add another hour or so to the job outside. And, I always bring a spare sharp chain (sometimes two) for every saw that I might use in the field. It is amazing how many times they all get used.

Last Friday I split all the logs that I needed for a truckload, loaded them, and delivered it. Five hours (including an hour for driving each way) were required. I really understand what you are saying. Best part about all this was the sunshine, fresh air, and exercise. If I did not look at it that way, I would not do it at all.

One thing I have noticed is that before I go out and cut any wood with my saws, I sharpen their chains. If I do not do that, add another hour or so to the job outside. And, I always bring a spare sharp chain (sometimes two) for every saw that I might use in the field. It is amazing how many times they all get used.
So you sharpen brand new chains out of the box?

Latest posts

Back