New Chainsaw coming to market soon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd have guessed 36V instead of 40V...maybe it's better/newer battery tech than cobbling two 18V packs together...nah, that never happens...just add more cells...dewalt will have a 45V one out next :jester:

that's a very torquey elec motor...funny they didn't put a powersharp b/c on it?

I saw this the other day and thought the same thing. Except that the Power Sharp system is actually built INTO it. Smart move.

Go right ahead

I think we all just witnessed the price of used Stihls and Huskys jump a little higher. I guess I will have to hord up a bunch of old saws if I want to go the next 50+ years of wood cutting I have in front of me with a gas powered 2 stroke. A wise man once told me that land and guns were always investments you could count on, maybe you can add pro model Stihls and Huskys to that list as well.

I for one welcome advanced battery tech and the devices to make use of it. Wouldn't bother me a bit to have a range of different sized chainsaws that I can keep the batteries charged up with my solar panels. Eliminate liquid fuel and all the hassle and points of failure? You betcha! Wouldn't bother me at all to stop worrying about arcane seal leaks, metering levers, diaphragms, tiny bits of crud plugging up carb intricacies, gas going stale in two weeks, pistons eating up cylinders and vice versa, and all that mechanical weakness failure rot.

And the sooner they get out there, better battery powered devices, the sooner they get better and drop in price. Electronics-generally speaking- is just much faster in the global development cycle. Ten years to one over liquid fuel devices, some bignum like that. Eventually they will hit parity in power and onboard energy storage capacity--then they will surpass liquid fuels..and keep going after that. Not if, just when now.

Fuel burning devices always seem to always go up in price. A lot. Every year. I don't know why that is, but battery powered whatevers, I mean, you name it, anything that can run from a battery, gets better/faster/cheaper every year, and fuel burners just get lots more expensive and only marginally better, if that.

And I don't know if husky makes one, but stihl has a new advanced battery powered saw as well, so they are covering their bets on the tech. Because they ain't dumb.

Electric motors got "torque" from one RPM. That's the powerband-ON. There's a lot to like about electric motors over reciprocating engines.

I saw this the other day and thought the same thing. Except that the Power Sharp system is actually built INTO it. Smart move.

I see it now...very smart!

-----

zogger, I agree whole-heartedly about elec tech...battery technology just has some catching up to do for big power...I'd love to have an elec-motor-battery-powered skidloader!! (all that low-slung weight and torque...man!...and a lot less hearing loss)

I for one welcome advanced battery tech and the devices to make use of it. Wouldn't bother me a bit to have a range of different sized chainsaws that I can keep the batteries charged up with my solar panels. Eliminate liquid fuel and all the hassle and points of failure? You betcha!

You have your ideals and I have mine, biggest issue I see is the epic fail of being deep in the forest and running out of battery. I currently do not have solar panels located on my cutting spots so recharging in a pinch would be impossible. Not to mention the time involved with recharging vs. the 30 seconds to refuel and oil a conventional saw. Batteries lose their ability to retain a charge from day one, a properly maintained internal combustion engine will last much longer than the most advaced battery pack available. Also, I have the tools in my barn to rebuild a saw down to the last nut and bolt, can you say the same about a battery pack? IMHO a battery powered saw is one more item to add to the list of disposable items the American society will be forced to embrace, no more rebuilding, restoring, or refurbishing, just the dumpster and another trip to wally world.

i'd have guessed 36V instead of 40V...maybe it's better/newer battery tech than cobbling two 18V packs together...nah, that never happens...just add more cells...dewalt will have a 45V one out next :jester:

that's a very torquey elec motor...funny they didn't put a powersharp b/c on it?

Yes, and BTW, all the earlier battery packs will be landfill waste. I really wonder how many of them are recycled. AFA getting cheaper, I agree to an extent. Place the blame where it belongs, with the EPA and the eco-nazis. Better for the environment? I'll plug it into the wall, which is either coal or nuclear here, either option is not going away anytime soon, I hope.

But there's a place for this saw, no doubt about that. How long before a jobsite radio/charger is available?

You have your ideals and I have mine, biggest issue I see is the epic fail of being deep in the forest and running out of battery. I currently do not have solar panels located on my cutting spots so recharging in a pinch would be impossible. Not to mention the time involved with recharging vs. the 30 seconds to refuel and oil a conventional saw. Batteries lose their ability to retain a charge from day one, a properly maintained internal combustion engine will last much longer than the most advaced battery pack available. Also, I have the tools in my barn to rebuild a saw down to the last nut and bolt, can you say the same about a battery pack? IMHO a battery powered saw is one more item to add to the list of disposable items the American society will be forced to embrace, no more rebuilding, restoring, or refurbishing, just the dumpster and another trip to wally world.

Hey man, you didn't pick an extreme enough of an example! How about when you are stuck on your submarine under the polar ice cap and you have to cut your way out through 18 feet of ice!

Well, heck ya, no place in this world for any battery operated devices! They just won't work, for any occasion!

Let me guess, you always use only a corded drill, never a cordless? No cellphone, just drag your land line every where? And heaven forbid anyone use a four cylinder car to commute with, because you need to haul six tons of wood and tools everyplace you go, so all vehicles must be capable of that, and any that aren't are just POS "throw aways"...that can't be fixed anyway...

Why are you even on the internet, wasn't the telegraph good enough?

Do you really honestly don't get it on different tools for different jobs? You really can't see a decent market for a capable homeowner saw that is battery operated, or a fast construction saw? And then maybe on down the line, something even better?

Nope--stop now, no more development of anything! We have hit the nadir of innovation, because...someone said so!

Hmm, lemme see, I'm stuck in the woods and got no way to recharge a battery..and gosh darn it, only got one battery, the number "2" or anything larger isn't invented yet...guess I'll go hop in my big truck with the HUGE ALTERNATOR and dual batteries that are already charged up, check my email on my laptop that's plugged into the dash here, then go drive someplace where there's electricity available so I can plug in this little saw battery so I can recharge it.....

Dang vern, got any more strawmen in your garage?

Sure right now, same as the stihl saw, not practical for ALL jobs everywhere, but for a LOT of jobs it could work. And the tech keeps getting better. I remember when there weren't any cordless drills for example and the first ones cost hundreds..I paid something like around 230$ for my first one, now a thirty buck black and decker cordless drill is better than those original high dollar examples. And the high dollar ones just work, and a million guys use them without worrying about having enough juice, they figured it out somehow....

The same will happen with these saws, and all the other cordless do dads out there. Will they ever replace every saw application? Nope, doubt it, not any time soon, but they possibly could replace what 90% of the population uses a chainsaw for right now, some big number like that, and in the not too distant future, as the battery tech gets better..and that's a trillion dollar baby there. There's a LOT of high end egghead action going on to develop better batteries, all over the planet, every tech university and big manufacturing corporation out there. The demand is huge, for all sorts of reasons, and the quality of the batts gets better all the time.

But..like you said, different opinions. You don't think they are practical or will ever amount to much, and I 100% disagree.

WOW, replacement batteries are $150-200. That would buy a lot of gas and oil. In the literature they talk about making 250 cuts in 2-3" limbs. Each cut should take about one second. 10" logs should take about 25 seconds to cut. If you do the math that sounds like about 10 cuts in 10" wood before the battery needs charged. That is with the high output battery. Apparently you can expect half the output with the regular battery

Obviously this was not made for a person who cuts a lot of wood, but it may be perfect for a homeowner who wants high end tools but doesn't want to mess with fuel. Of course, so would a cordless sawzall at 1/3 the price.

It would work out nice for a homeowner with a couple acres of shaded lawn with a 100 trees on it. The saw would work well for occasional pruning duty.

two good applications come to mind in my world

1) my church grounds committee...the volunteers that mow the lawn and trim the trees...it's perfect for the little bit of pruning and cleaning up storm damage each year, and is more dummy proof than a regular saw (not totally dummy proof...just more)

2) (if they offered a top handle version) I have a client who's entire right side of his body is limp from a stroke several years ago...good as a kickstand, but nothing else...he currently cuts his firewood with a 192T, but I think he'd be much happier with a saw he didn't have to pull-start! BTW...you don't want to arm wrestle this guy :)

You are correct

WOW, replacement batteries are $150-200. That would buy a lot of gas and oil. In the literature they talk about making 250 cuts in 2-3" limbs. Each cut should take about one second. 10" logs should take about 25 seconds to cut. If you do the math that sounds like about 10 cuts in 10" wood before the battery needs charged. That is with the high output battery. Apparently you can expect half the output with the regular battery

Obviously this was not made for a person who cuts a lot of wood, but it may be perfect for a homeowner who wants high end tools but doesn't want to mess with fuel. Of course, so would a cordless sawzall at 1/3 the price.

Right now battery tech is good for a lot of smaller demand tasks, the cordless drill driving screws for instance..but it keeps getting better. I just hope there's enough demand for some of these higher quality saws to sell, so..they get better/cheaper. I agree the initial price is high, but so is repairing the occasional use homeowner saw today, that works fine a few times then "won't start".

bwahahaha, I remember when the only battery radio you could get was like a small suitcase!

I am all for this tech, and I admit the limitations of it today as well. but it appears to be hitting a "good enough" stage where it will become practical.

I *wish* we could see a compromise on battery versus corded for in the field use, just talking electric saws in general now, that some company would come out with a 12 or 24VDC saw that was decent sized and power and ran from a jumper cable hooked to your truck or tractor. One company made one for awhile but then they disappeared. I think with more modern tech it might work and be another niche tool that could come in real handy on a lot of jobs.

Perhaps both, this theoretical saw has a battery for untethered use, but could be plugged in and run directly if you are close enough to your vehicle. Something like that would right now cover 90% or so of my cutting needs on the farm, because I mostly cut very close to where I can drive the tractor and cargo box. I get the vast majority of my wood just cleaning up stuff that falls into pastures or across the creek or fencelines. And I drive right to most of that stuff, right up to it. And right now most of what I cut is done with what most guys here would consider a cheap junk throwaway homeowner saw anyway. Real big stuff I just ignore now, I can cut it or not, it doesn't matter. Big logs I let sit, or chain them up and drag them away someplace where they won't be a problem. Something that had 4-5 horse electric in a smaller package, with around an 18" bar, that could run from say a 25 foot jumper cable..extra deep discharge battery with an isolator circuit..that would work quite well.

Let me guess, you always use only a corded drill, never a cordless?

You have to think outside of the box...

attachment.php

Anyone else notice the damn farmer back-cut in the video? They should know better than to put that crap out there in a "professional" video. :msp_rolleyes:

A sawsall it even a razor saw would be a lot less frustrating. But I could see its practical use in the kitchen. Not for making me a samich more like ice sculptures on a cruise ship.

Latest posts

Back