New Chainsaw coming to market soon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think i will sell my 372 and buy one of these:D:D:D:D

Well, I wouldn't do that..but they work fine for a small saw. I even tried it buried to the hilt in a large oak log, it kept on cutting as long as you didn't lean on it real hard. I've cut a bunch with mine so far, and pretty much got it down now what to use it for and then when to switch to the gassers.. The thermal overload protection in the circuitry is neat, the saw won't let you damage it. I wish gas saws had a feature like that. And the completely dull to back to cutting in a few seconds powersharp system that is built in works just great! Ya, you can throw a 3/8ths normal low pro on it if you want to, and do your normal hand filing, but the factory system is part of the "saw with no hassles" deal.

It's a regular part of my lineup now when I go out, plus it is my "around the yard" saw. Added bonus is I finally have a saw my GF can use. She had a hard time starting even the smallest gasser, and was intimidated by it anyway, arthritis in her hands, etc, but this saw, she can grab it and hit the oddball branch or long piece in the stack, etc, no probs. She was grinning ear to ear when she first tried it out. Quiet, no vibrations whatsoever, cuts fine, instant on off. It's got a lot going for it.

i think i will sell my 372 and buy one of these:D:D:D:D

It might be 20 years down the road, but mark my word one day EVERYONE will want a battery powered saw if batterys and electric motors continue on the path they are on. Just ask anyone the RC hobby crowd.

Alot of people might not know this but in the hobby world about 5 years ago lipo battery and EM's (brushless motors) shocked the heck out of everyone. They were expensive and you had to convert them with homemade parts to work. Fast forward to about 3 years ago they started making full brushless RC's that you could go buy from the shop. Now everyone wants one. They are lighter, faster, less maintenance and pretty darn close to the same price as a nitro/gas powered one. Plus as time goes on they keep getting cheaper and evolving for the better. I can see one day you will be able to pull a 16" bar or a 72" bar from the same saw with the touch of a button. Worst thing is you will have to wear a battery back pack. The tunning ability of electric is almost endless. The only thing I can see hindering its ability is the manufactures preventing the user from playing with its capability. If they did leave it unlocked then the sky is the limit. I know some might get a chuckle out of my post but others and my self have saw it in the RC world. There are TONS of absolute die hard nitro/gas fans that have said they would never get into electric. Well that is untill they saw/drove one in person. Now they will never change back because of the grin they get on there face, everytime they pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Answer

His e-Bay 'Buy-It-Now' price is available any day of the week from Amazon.com, along with the full warranty and free shipping. Wonder if he is an authorized Oregon dealer or not?

Link to some early reviews of the saw (zogger, why did you start that in the firewood forum?) : http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262.htm

Philbert

Because that is the type of cutting I do and more where this saw is aimed at. This forum here is more for hotrod larger saws and antique collectors and puzzling gas engine repair stuff. I'm not a timber faeller, etc, just a fenceline and pasture cleaner who also cuts firewood at the same time. Dual purpose cutting, although I do go cut larger stuff on purpose for firewood as well, mostly standing dead, and some live crooked cull trees or really damaged trees that are "standing alive but will not make it".

This battery saw fills a great niche there for me on the very tops, then on small saplings, little trees that asprout like weeds all over that need cutting and I can take a few to ten good firwood chunks from them. It could work as the smaller saw in like a two or three saw plan for the millions of home owners out there who cut their one to ten cords a year and/or just the cleanup around the yard. (and they say the battery will be part of a multi tool system eventually as in "coming soon", so I would imagine all the normal around the yard tools will eventually be covered, making the battery and charger a more economical investment) (c'mon pole saw adapter and mini tiller and good weedwhacker!)(and would be nice if the same powerhead worked on all of that somehow)

This thing is the berries for starting out at the end of the tree doing the small branches, work your way down to the beefier stuff, when you get there, then switch to the gasser.

To me, I would use it just this side of the cuts/size where you want to start splitting the rounds just in half, maybe, up to but not bigger than that size. You get the most cuts and the best battery "mileage" that way. When I get trees that fall right on the pasture, I don't want to hassle with brush piles, so I milk the tree out and take a lot of smaller stuff. What's left over, meh, it's minimal, hit with the brushawg next time when I mow the pasture and it disappears. No slash piles, no mess + mo wood in the stack.

I like my job! Don't pay much, but I get paid partially to go cut my firewood!

The only thing I can see hindering its ability is the manufactures preventing the user from playing with its capability. If they did leave it unlocked then the sky is the limit.

ultimately the winding cross sectional area and the rotor/stator sizes will determine the maximum size of the package.

electric motors are pretty much packaged in kilowatt size groups just as current saws do. and no matter how much tweaking of a 2kw electric motor, your not going to get 4 kilowatts out of because the stator will reach its magnetic saturation .

Last edited:
I for one welcome advanced battery tech and the devices to make use of it. Wouldn't bother me a bit to have a range of different sized chainsaws that I can keep the batteries charged up with my solar panels. Eliminate liquid fuel and all the hassle and points of failure? You betcha! Wouldn't bother me at all to stop worrying about arcane seal leaks, metering levers, diaphragms, tiny bits of crud plugging up carb intricacies, gas going stale in two weeks, pistons eating up cylinders and vice versa, and all that mechanical weakness failure rot.

And the sooner they get out there, better battery powered devices, the sooner they get better and drop in price. Electronics-generally speaking- is just much faster in the global development cycle. Ten years to one over liquid fuel devices, some bignum like that. Eventually they will hit parity in power and onboard energy storage capacity--then they will surpass liquid fuels..and keep going after that. Not if, just when now.

Fuel burning devices always seem to always go up in price. A lot. Every year. I don't know why that is, but battery powered whatevers, I mean, you name it, anything that can run from a battery, gets better/faster/cheaper every year, and fuel burners just get lots more expensive and only marginally better, if that.

And I don't know if husky makes one, but stihl has a new advanced battery powered saw as well, so they are covering their bets on the tech. Because they ain't dumb.

Electric motors got "torque" from one RPM. That's the powerband-ON. There's a lot to like about electric motors over reciprocating engines.

put a flux capacitor on it

Latest posts

Back