New Chainsaw coming to market soon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The battery packs have a finite life span. Plus they are going to be really expensive to replace. The best common available batteries are lithium zinc ion and they ungodly expensive. If your average consumer knew how volatile lithium batteries were, they would freak out. When lithium batteries fail, they do it on a epic way!!!

Until we get compact and safe fuel cells. I hold off getting a electric power saw!

Just My .02

Mike

Needs to lose the POWER SHARP crap though! if it dont run 3/8 it won't ever find its way into my stable!

Hey....I like the Power Sharp :rock:. Unless I'm mistaken, most if not all PS chain is 3/8 lowpro so I see no reason you couldn't swap it out.

Really, the PS is a perfect fit for this saw. Ounce a year trimmer that will never take a chain in or know how to sharpen on there own.

It looks like it might be a decent rig for someone that just wanted to cut up some small things around the house or trim some branches. I don't see myself cutting up much firewood with this thing.

I'm pretty sure it's targeted at the homeowner market to replace the cheap throwaway saws.

It looks like it might be a decent rig for someone that just wanted to cut up some small things around the house or trim some branches. I don't see myself cutting up much firewood with this thing.

I'm pretty sure it's targeted at the homeowner market to replace the cheap throwaway saws.
If the cost of a new battery is expensive it will be a throw away too. Cordless drill sets can be bought as cheap as replacing the battery after about a couple years.

yep

You have to think outside of the box...

I agree, different tools for different jobs, that's the point! There's no "one size fits everyone" deal here with tools. I was just commenting on the negative to batteries option, I think that's silly. Especially can't figger out how to recharge something out in the field, that took two nanoseconds to counter. Ya, some guys got to pack it in miles and miles away from even their ride..and that is one one thousandths of chainsaw work, too, some minuscule number. So ya, not practical there, but for everyone else...it's sneaking up.

Sorta akin to some dude all he works on is ship engines, so a 3/8ths drive socket set is useless to him, so he sez something like "why, no one will ever buy them, I can't use them for "my" job, so there's no market for them and they are crapola then, and will never amount to anything"!

Ridiculous strawman arguments.

Anyone who's been around the planet long enough to remember when we only had real wimpy carbon zinc dry cells will know just how freekin much better the lithium batteries are now. Which means younger folks really don't have a frame of reference for comparison. Nor do they remember the opec embargo and how FAST reality can change when it comes to access for fuel at affordable prices and quantities. They weren't around, don't remember, so "it never can happen".....me, I remember it went from normal one day to the next day two gallons max at TEN bucks a gallon, when it was like half a buck normally, all you wanted...that fast...

And I know from reading elsewhere in the more science oriented sites how much work and interest is going into the next generation of batteries. They ain't here yet, but they'll get here. Stuff in that direction is having some amazing advances. And I think all these big corporations that are in the tool business, the ones that offer battery tools, know there's a growing market for them, *else they wouldn't be making the dang things*. But they are, they sell them, they are in every hardware store now, and millions of guys are using them, at home and also on the job to make money, in commercial applications. Why? The tech got "good enough" at some point and is now common. Not that long ago really. Seems like we are just now cracking small chainsaw action there, so good, that means the tech got loads better just recently, so the price drops will be following.

These big tool companies know a lot better than joe random internet skeptic, well, put it this way, I trust them more to know what is what on the global making and selling tools scene.. They are making millions of bucks now on these battery operated things...and they keep coming out with better models, better batts, more powerful motors, lighter weight, etc. I mean, I am getting older and like a lot of older tech..that doesn't make me a luddite though, a lot of new stuff is just loads better than what used to be around.

Battery tech isn't going away just because it isn't suited to 100% of every single possible job out there now. And it's not crap because of that either. Someone's camry isn't crap because it won't tote six tons, and someone's big flatbed isn't crap because it only gets 10 MPG. Different tools for different jobs, it's all good. Better than drudging out to the woods with a sharp rock and totin the wood home on your back.....

LMAO,

in the vid the guy starts "sawing" back and forth. Makes me kinda proud my first saw was a little plastic Homie 23AV.

Bet it sure is quiet.

If the cost of a new battery is expensive it will be a throw away too. Cordless drill sets can be bought as cheap as replacing the battery after about a couple years.

Doesn't take a couple years. Last summer, I bought the 19.2 combo, Craftsman. Battery's not so good, so I started looking for another to give the others a chance to cool and then charge if needed. Battery was $40. At Christmas, you could get a battery, cheap drill, and a flashlight for $3 more.
Batteries are Us refuse to stock them because they can't compete with Sears. They will rebuild them, could be as much as $80, minimum $65 was the quote I got.
If this saw is a $400, another battery $150, you can buy one hell of a gas saw for that price. A $125 dollar Wild Thing should, usually does, last a couple of years before it needs fuel lines, carb kit, and if it cost $60 to fix you were robbed blind. Thats over 4 years of service for less than the cost of this saw. If you bought the electric one, sat it on the shelf and ignored it, like the homeowners do the gas saw, the battery won't hold much of a charge either.
It may have a place in a landscapers toolbox, it may be utilized more, charge kept up, etc. But the average homeowner will look at the price, see a cheaper gas saw, and ignore this one. Unless they sell, the market driven forces that have propelled cheap drills and sawalls, etc. in cordless form aren't anything but the said strawman.

Battery operated logging saw

Think about it dump all the wussy stuff and the small chain. I had this idea 2yrs ago a skidder with a saw box that had a slide on locking mechanizme that was also a battery charger that charged a high power battery to power a high torque electric saw for 20-30min tops if it takes longer than that to cut up a skid your lazy . Now just try and tell me that's a bad idea no gas and 2storke oil, no saw under your feet when you are skidding no taking the battery packs home to charge a sell sustaining bucking saw with a safe place to carry it. You could even have a cut down saw with packs so when you got there to hook up the cutter could change packs on the other side of the skidder and go right back to work just run dual alternators on the skidder I think its a great idea and would save money time if you think about it no going to get 2stroke oil and gas no extra wear and tear on your truck going to get supplies. So what do you think?

that application and many others L4L...think of the torque you'd have if you had 4 big elec motors, 1 driving each skidder wheel!

battery tech just has to catch up...

As fast as Lithium and Li-po are advancing in technology, I think we are going to see much more of this sooner than later. Than we can start new threads on electric motor care, battery rebuilds, honing brushes, etc. We should start on vote on the first AS member to have a Li-po battery fire. :biggrin:

Anybody else find it funny that the guy demo'd the saw in an office on his desk? Made me laugh pretty hard. And to each their own; I appreciate the innovations made in battery technology and cordless tools, but its definitely not for me. I do think its a good idea that will appeal to homeowners who need a light duty, occasional use saw. But there's nothing like the sound of a sweet running two stroke to brighten your day!

Anybody else find it funny that the guy demo'd the saw in an office on his desk?

Thought about that. He might have been trying to make the point that because it is battery powered it is quiet enough and clean enough (no exhaust) that it could be run inside, e.g. for sculpting, carpentry, etc.

Philbert

The only problem I see with battery saws is that there won't be anymore threads about "which oil is best and what ratio should I mix?" No more muffler mod articles, what on earth will we argue about?

The only problem I see with battery saws is that there won't be anymore threads about "which oil is best and what ratio should I mix?" No more muffler mod articles, what on earth will we argue about?

Disagree. We will have yahoos who want to run their 36V saws at 54V. Big arguments about battery memory and reconditioning. Energizer vs Duracel. Etc.

Philbert

Worse than that!

Disagree. We will have yahoos who want to run their 36V saws at 54V. Big arguments about battery memory and reconditioning. Energizer vs Duracel. Etc.

Philbert

bwahahahaha, we'll get some audio snobolites weekend cutters who swear that gold plated wires make for a "richer" and "warmer" sounding saw! Monster battery charger cables, stuff like that.

hehehehe

I am actually looking forward to better battery powered saws. And if I run across a cheap one used I'll try and make an extension for it to run from the tractor. That'll proly be the bulk of any modding I do to one.

If I had the loot right now for a quality big inverter, I'd take a shot at one of the newer four horse electric poulan plug in saws, and tote that out on the tractor, with a couple more big batts hooked up. All the reviews are pretty good on them. I have a little remington plug in, but it is for sure just too wuss. I mean, it works, but.....

Back