new chainsaw recomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdog2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok in kind of lookin around for a new toy. i dont do as much cutting as the pros for sure but i still cut a good deal of firewood every year.

my main go to saw is a poulan 2775 farmhand with a 20 inch bar. i have used it quite a bit and its been a good saw. its got just enuff power for what i do and as long as keep up on sharpening my chain it does pretty good.

im looking for something with a 16 or 18 inch bar with just as much or a touch more power then my poulan

the 3 different stihls i have narrowed it down to are the ms 261, ms 250, and ms 280

i have looked a little at echo but not a lot. i considered huskies but every damn one of them i look at has that stupid primer bulb/air purge thing on it.

i hate those stupid primer bulbs with a passion, they have no place being on a real tool. anyway any input here would be appreciated.

let me know some of your recommendations on echos as well.:msp_thumbup:

My modded 280 does good for me...well for a farm saw thats my pine limbing and small timber saw. That 280 cut alot of timber actually...surprisingly....its a pretty strong little SOB with a 16" bar.

Of the 3 saws listed you would be crazy to go with anything BUT the MS261. It represents all that is good in the chainsaw world. I'm fairly certain 99% of people who respond here will tell you the same.

If you can't swing the $$ for the 261 I would actually go with the ms250 over the 280. Something just doesn't seem right with the 280 -- I just don't hear many people at all talk good about them (except the note above). Whereas I actually kind of like the 250. No its not pro-grade but it does a damn good job for a smaller saw.

Last edited:
well ive kind of got to budget myself some, i have been curious about efco saws as well. a long time ago i used a freinds stihl think it was an 034 but i cant be sure had a 16 or 18 inch bar and it seemed like a dog to me at the time. i was turned off on stihls for a long time.

now im trying to upgrade just a bit. any body have any thoughts on the ms 250 as it is most likely the cheaper of the 3?

as for doing any mods to them i would really have no idea on that as ive never tinkered with my saws much other than general maintenance.

Of the 3 saws listed you would be crazy to go with anything BUT the MS261. It represents all that is good in the chainsaw world. I'm fairly certain 99% of people who respond here will tell you the same.

If you can't swing the $$ for the 261 I would actually go with the ms250 over the 280. Something just doesn't seem right with the 280 -- I just don't hear many people at all talk good about them. Whereas I actually kind of like the 250. No its not pro-grade but it does a damn good job for a smaller saw.

missed this while posting. do you have a 250 yourself?

missed this while posting. do you have a 250 yourself?

No I do not own one, but have used one extensively at my work. They have a good power-to-weight and can run an 18" bar. It won't compare well to 50cc class saws (especially the pros: MS261 and 346XP) but it can handle of lot of cutting. Probably more than most here would give it credit for. I also find them simple to operate and maintain.

if i compare the engine size, my poulan is 2.8 cu. in. (says it on the sticker anyway)

and the ms 250 is 2.77cu. in. the stihl website recomends an 18 inch bar on it. so in theory it should do just as well or better then my poulan?

also this saw would be used for felling trees as well. i dont like to pick on trees that are to big as my back is in sad shape and the bigger pieces of wood are just to much work to get on the splitter.

in the time i spend wrestleing a 30" diameter block i can split a whole crapload of 16" stuff.

oh and anything with tooless chain tensioning is out. no tinkertoy crap for me.

If I were you: I would really go for the MS261. If you can't afford that...I would really go for a Husqvarna 346xp.

If you just can't do either of those then I would be buying a Stihl MS250 or an Echo CS400. If I went with either of these two I personally would mod the muffler so they would really scream (and put your Poulan in the backseat).

If I were you: I would really go for the MS261. If you can't afford that...I would really go for a Husqvarna 346xp.

If you just can't do either of those then I would be buying a Stihl MS250 or an Echo CS400. If I went with either of these two I personally would mod the muffler so they would really scream (and put your Poulan in the backseat).

the husky has that stupid primer thing. i just cant get past those.

as far as muffler mods what kind of easy things can be done?

I really "like" my 250. I bought it 8 years ago to replace a 38cc McCulloch. I bought both before I knew anything about saws. I'll tell you, it's handled a lot and done it in stride. The reason I "like" it is because I'm one of those people who likes the best stuff...even if I don't need the best. Now that I know about saws I'd really prefer a pro-grade. But, that's an extra cost. Also, a few years after I got it I had to buck up a 40" diameter Poplar that went down in a storm. Ever since then I'd wished that I'd had a larger saw(I'm working on that now)

ive got a couple old homelites floatin around with 24" (i think) bars one of them runs good but whoever went to work on the chain sure screwed it up. ive got to spend some time on it with the file.

is your 250 all stock?

echo

also this saw would be used for felling trees as well. i dont like to pick on trees that are to big as my back is in sad shape and the bigger pieces of wood are just to much work to get on the splitter.

in the time i spend wrestleing a 30" diameter block i can split a whole crapload of 16" stuff.

oh and anything with tooless chain tensioning is out. no tinkertoy crap for me.

I have a 600p echo with a 20 and it is decent, biggest I have cut is some off a 38 inch log. I bet with an 18 it would be a honker on smaller stuff. Just ditch the caps and richen it if you get one, they come wayyy too lean outta the box.

I haven't opened mine up yet, bsnelling did a thread on one he modded here.

is your 250 all stock?

I'm not sure if you were asking me or not, but yes, it's currently stock. If I ever get around to it I'll likely MM it but so far it's been great. Now that I have a used 6401 that I'm going to BB and a 6421 on its way, I'm more than set for what I do.

Saw Help

The only 2 I would recommend is the MS 250 or MS 261. With the MS 250 if it was me buying get a non safety chain and a 18" bar and fatten the carb a touch during break-in and go cut wood with it, they are fast little saws for sure. The 261 with a 20" .375 non safety chain and fattened carb is a good setup as well.

Dolmar ps 510 you can get one for about $350 and their just as good if not better than stihl:msp_smile:

Back