New firewood machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
79265822b80e3c5ad18bd94727ab8a03.jpg

64a616d7ead9ca0c73262a7baed0dac3.jpg

bd5cd5d543bac002a2dfa57c28bbc1c2.jpg

Congrats on the rig! I just picked mine up this summer. Loaded rears and it still felt light. Went with the weight box and it felt a lot more stable.

You know at my work we have a b2300 I think, whatever 23hp Kubota It is. No Wight and empty tires. I'm amazed no one's died on it yet. Atlest once a week I see someone almost roll the thing trying to turn fast with a loaded bucket of sand or stone all the way up as high as it will go...

Just out of curiosity but I have seen three Kubotas on this thread. Any reason you guys didn't go with one of the cheaper brands out there? How much was the Kubota?

Just out of curiosity but I have seen three Kubotas on this thread. Any reason you guys didn't go with one of the cheaper brands out there? How much was the Kubota?
Excaliber, I have a Mahindra dealer nearby and they build a nice tractor but the resale value is poor around here. I always consider this because you just never know what's going to happen down the road. There are JD dealers local as well but the models I looked at had aluminum differential housings and I was not interested in those. We have some Kubota equipment where I work that I maintain that get some serious abuse and just keep going. The Kubota was well worth the $$.

My choice was pretty easy. Since I needed the cab for snow duty it made it tough. Even the cheaper models were very close in price once you added a cab. That, along with a kubota dealer 5 miles away and they reliability of the brand made the decision very easy. A Deere would have been 8 grand more for my setup, so it was out of the running.

Kubotas aren't any more expensive up here. Actually might be cheaper than say JD.

Also - working these things a lot more than their ratings by loading up the FEL then loading up the rear end to compensate for the overloaded front end is pretty hard on front ends & tires. Things might never get to the breaking point - but something also could go pop without notice.

I looked at Mahindra, Massey & JD when I bought my latest Kubota and the L3800DT was lower priced than comparable models. Kubota quality is second to none. I paid 15k 4 years ago.

I got mine from the person I took over the firewood business from, or else I would not have one with a cab. I think I got an OK deal on it, as it was only 3yrs old, and less that 1200hrs for just under $23k. It came with 2-buckets and a set of forks.

I was just curious because I bought a new tractor this year but before that I stated looking at the JD an Kubota. There was no way to afford one of them around my area for what they were. I wanted 50hp min (to run baler and bale wagon), 2000lb plus loader so you can unload/load a pallet, 4wd, with cab. JD took 5 days to give me a quote and worked up a quote for a tractor smaller than what I needed 45hp with cab...$48,000. Yikes so I looked at Kubota and they were about the same price as an JD was so that's why I was wondering if Kubota was cheaper elsewhere based on the amount of people who bought them on this thread. Kubota tractors seem very well made, however I would am not impressed whit their side by side products we have at work on the railroad.

P.S. Trukn2004 I am interested in getting an attachment like you have for your bucket for changing light bulbs, any idea where a guy might find one slightly used? lol

I

P.S. Trukn2004 I am interested in getting an attachment like you have for your bucket for changing light bulbs, any idea where a guy might find one slightly used? lol

:lol: she was actually setting the Sensor for the motion light, but I think light changing would also work. Unfortunately this particular model is homegrown. [emoji41]

I paid $18,400 for the tractor, loader with quick attach bucket and pallet forks, and a 60" mid mount mower. They gave me $4100 for my 670.

I gave JD a chance, but the salesman fell through in contacting me when he said he would. I'm a stickler for keeping my word and I expect it from others. When he did get back with me, after I had signed for the Kubota, he was $3000 more for a comparable machine and only $3800 for my 670.

I did shop a competing Kubota dealer and the one I purchased from was $600 cheaper on the same setup and offered me $500 more for my 670.

Sent from a field

A 1/2 cord of green split firewood is Heavy. Our tractor is a 7040 Kubota, and this is about as high off the ground as it will lift. If it were to dry for a couple weeks I could lift it high enough to load onto a gooseneck trailer.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450651804.170837.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so very jealous. I've got about 1.5 cord of mostly red oak down on the ground, bucked to 16" and the bigger rounds split up into more manageable chunks. Now I could really use 4wd tractor to get it out of the woods. The ground around here is all hilly and full of boulders, so I need something with more clearance than my little lawn tractor.

I'm so very jealous. I've got about 1.5 cord of mostly red oak down on the ground, bucked to 16" and the bigger rounds split up into more manageable chunks. Now I could really use 4wd tractor to get it out of the woods. The ground around here is all hilly and full of boulders, so I need something with more clearance than my little lawn tractor.
Don't be to jealous. There's a high price to pay;).

Look at the cost of ownership on some of them. I payed less than any of the prices these guys paid and got mine with 88hrs. Its a 2012 kubota L3800. I love it, but it's not a necessity for me. I bought it cash so I don't have payments and can justify having it to make a buck or two when the work comes.

You can do a lot with a $3000 4×4 Honda Foreman quad. With a plow and a little trailer you can get a lot done.

I just did some Japanese felling yesterday :).20151219_142316.jpg

Chipper is right... Its a hefty investment. If my only need was to haul wood out of the woods I would have gotten a quad to pull my trailer.

I needed to get something to lift things.

Ive been mowing our 2.75 acres with a Scag 52" walk behind.

Our drive is over 600' long.

We have a surface and subsurface county drain that runs across our property. The surface drain needs attention along the tilled field because the farmer has not maintained the flow line at the property line. This includes elevating a culvert under our drive.

I'm not getting younger.

A small tractor and the utility aspect of being able to do all those tasks with 1 machine is what drove the purchase.

I'm not to keen on having the payment. The only reason I financed it is because its not costing me anything to do so. If there would have been interest on the loan, I would have paid cash.

My Dad has a Kioti and has been happy with it. It's about 30hp, has a DingDong? Diesel I guess. Has the loader, cab and a few attachements like fork tines, snowblower, snowplow, etc. I've never used it, just saw it once for a few mins when I was visiting.

He has a Jinma (Rhino) tractor before, it nearly burnt down when the wiring shorted out (while parked!). Would have burned down a garage and another car in there. Between that and a few other issues my Dad got tired of dealing with having to constantly fix something in order to do work with it.

As far as something to use as a forklift, a tractor won't cut it. Most loaders are really only designed for scooping material, like muking out cow stalls type work. Not digging, not forklifting, etc.
It's really rough on the front axle to use a tractor for moving heavy stuff around.

For hauling logs around or moving pallets, a skid steer is better suited, or even an off road "lumber yard" forklift. (don't bother with a warehouse forklift, they will get stuck just about on a wet tissue)

Back