New guy needs a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and have a question about a new saw. I've been using a Homelite 330 for about 10 years (hand me down from my dad),its started giving me grief and I'm ready for a new saw. Its been a great saw and I used it to cut 3-4 cords per year for that time. Our new house has gas heat so my needs have changed.

I'm needing a saw for strictly occasional use. I'll use it 4-5 times per year. Mainly to keep about 1/2 cord of wood around the house for camping/fishing trips. Some cleanup after winter storms,but thats about it.

I'd like a quality saw,but don't want to spend much more than $300.

The Husky 350 has caught my eye. The 18" bar seems perfect for my needs.

Will a 350 be a good saw for my needs?

Welcome to the forum. If you are willing to spend a bit more (~$370), you might want to look into the Dolmar PS-5100S. It's getting very favorable reviews on this forum and I just ordered one from one of this site's sponsors. Should receive it this week.

The Husky 353 is a really nice saw, and probably the cheapest pro quality saw out there. It has a magnesium crank-case, and are built to last a bit longer than the 350.

The Dolmar PS-5100S has more power, and is a bit larger and heavier.

Last edited:
RickP said:

Rick, we will have no problem spending your money for ya, lol. You might end up with a 395XP if you hang around here long enough, but to answer your question, the 350 will work fine for your needs.

Don't take my previous post wrong - the 350 is a very nice saw, much nicer than the Stihl MS250.
And as trimmed said, it will do.:chainsaw:

I know a# of people I cut wood with who use there Husky 350 for exactly what you are looking for. You'll like it!

I hate to agree

From what I've read, the 350 is a great saw. Dollmar makes a heck of a saw as well (not as good dealer support, but I imagine that will change). Finally, Stihl makes a good saw.

Don't, don't, don't ever think "If I spend a few bucks less...." Never go on the cheap for a saw. The aggravation factor will kick in, sooner or later. Stepping up to a Husky 350 from the Homelite, you'll think you're in heaven.

However, for a few dollars more.......... well that list could go on forever, depending on wood (large, small, hardwood, softwood) These are all very important determining factors. You failed to mention the typical tree size you will be dealing with (new growth, old growth) or hardwood or softwood. Don't take my word, there are MANY others who will make this point. Will a 350 do? Probably just fine. Are there large hardwoods in the area? Go the next size up.

Don't take it personally, but the details can really ????? with you. Especially if you buy a saw with a bar 2 inches shorter than what you REALLY need :angry: been there, got the shirt.

I have a Husqvarna 350 and I really love the saw.
Perfect size for around the house/farm. It's not too small, not too big, nice and smooth, pretty darn good power, starts easy, yadda yadda...

I think for 4-5 uses per year a 350 would be th eperfect choice....BUT if you spend the extra $60 you could have a Husqvarna 353 with it's magnesium crank case.

omegajim said:
However, for a few dollars more.......... well that list could go on forever, depending on wood (large, small, hardwood, softwood) These are all very important determining factors. You failed to mention the typical tree size you will be dealing with (new growth, old growth) or hardwood or softwood. Don't take my word, there are MANY others who will make this point. Will a 350 do? Probably just fine. Are there large hardwoods in the area? Go the next size up.

Don't take it personally, but the details can really ????? with you. Especially if you buy a saw with a bar 2 inches shorter than what you REALLY need :angry: been there, got the shirt.

In Washington there really isn't much to choose from for hardwoods. By far the most common would be Alder and IME it really isn't too hard to cut,and splits like butter. There is a bit of Maple,but not all that common to find someone willing to part with it.

I typically burn Douglas Fir. Its readily available and cuts pretty easily. My brother works for an excavating company and has access to hundreds of cords of wood per year. I get wood for free so I take the "leftovers", the stuff that gets left behind when the big timber gets trucked off.

Most of the stuff I cut is small,not much bigger than a dinner plate. Its easy to deal with and easy to split.

Alder is one of the softest "hardwood" that I have been into, much softer than birch, but not very good firewood imo - I would prefere the fir.

RickP said:
Hey guys,

I'm needing a saw for strictly occasional use. I'll use it 4-5 times per year. Mainly to keep about 1/2 cord of wood around the house for camping/fishing trips. Some cleanup after winter storms,but thats about it.

I'd like a quality saw,but don't want to spend much more than $300.

The Husky 350 has caught my eye. The 18" bar seems perfect for my needs.

For the amount of wood that you will be cutting, the type of wood you will be cutting, and the size of wood that you will be cutting you should trust your eye. I doubt that a pro grade saw would cut enough faster to justify the extra cost and for the amount of cutting that you do, with proper maintenance, that saw should last you a lifetime and then some.

Buy the 350 and run away from this site or buy the 353 or 5100 and hang around.

Those are the cheapest options.

If you stick around you'll know why.

Fred

Latest posts

Back