New guy needs help with Pioneer P42

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I everyone, new guy here. I've been lurking on arborsite for years and really enjoy the site. Unfortunately I don't know enough about saws to add to any discussions so I've never registered.

Just a snippet about me. Growing up my family cut firewood every fall and I so looked forward to the day when I could run my own saw. Finally, when I was 6, my grandpa gave me a tiny Poulan with a 12" bar and taught me how to use it. I still have that saw but haven't dug it out in years. Later in life when gramps got too old to get firewood he gave me his Poulan 245A. I loved that saw and used it for years till it finally died and couldn't be repaired. I gave it to my brother, whom inherited my dad's 245A, for parts. For a couple years I borrowed my dad's Stihl 251 to get firewood and boy did it make me miss my 245A. A year ago my Father-in-law was given a Pioneer P42 which he didn't really want so he offered it to me. I didn't, and still don't, know a thing about them but I didn't have a saw so took it. I ran it last year getting firewood and fought it the whole time. My fault though. It runs great but cuts terrible; there is something wrong with the chain/bar. The chain it had on it was narrower than the bar so obviously it couldn't cut. When I was prepping the saw at home I cut just a few small branches off my tree so I didn't notice the problem. I dug out a chain I had from my old 245 and it looked right and was wider than the bar so I threw it on a finished getting wood. When I got home I threw the saw on the shelf. Now it's time to get wood again so now I'm rushing to get this saw working properly.

So, I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what I have and what I need to get this saw cutting good. I need to buy a couple chains and I have no problem buying a bar if I need to but I honestly don't know exactly what I need. Baileys site is telling me to buy a 0.050 gauge bar with a D196 mount and Carlton is telling me to buy a 0.058 gauge bar with a DO24 (10mm slot) mount.

Here's a few pics.

6848e594fb75d3c93e1dd7a054a49b4d.jpg

cd9fd41f79113e09797279383ac7e773.jpg

c602869a21450dfbf10d5fb922d6d3a0.jpg

2a9d704d8a5ca3b2c182fa5918be2e94.jpg

bar u have is 20" 50 ga 3/8. take it to shop, u want 6 extra drivers w/7p sprocket. that's a good bar, if not wore out. quick check is dime fits 50 ga, penny, .058, quarter, .063. also, look for burrs on edges.

+ dibz, if u wanna sell it.

Most Pioneer saws came with 3/8" x 058" as OEM but that bar looks good if it's 050 that's OK go wiith it with the 050 chain a 20" bar requires a 72 DL Chain

Thanks guys.

The bar does have some burrs on it but they will dress out. A 0.054 penny fits but a 0.057 penny doesn't[emoji2] I'll check the sprocket before I pickup a new chain.

I'll check the sprocket before I get a chain for it.

I'm hoping that I like the saw after I get it cutting right. But if not, you've got dibs rocket.

One important thing about these saws is not to use ethanol fuel in them, and ideally don't store fuel in them at all. The ethanol makes the fuel cap swell, and from what I hear, they're made from unobtanuim.

this ^^^

+ nice to hear its runnin & yer happy w/it.

haven't had any cap swell probs usin e free fuel.

might be hoardin them caps, too. if there's a cheap one for sale, I might just get it for those, af, starter parts.

Thanks for the tip guys. I'll be sure to stick with E0 fuel.

I ran almost a tank of fuel through it at towards the end started having an issue. It idled fine but any touch of throttle and it would bog and die. Carb adjustments changed it but didn't fix it. I pulled the carb apart and it was so full of junk I am surprised the saw even ran. Carb kit will arrive Monday.

Cleaned and reinstalled the carb. Same symptoms. Pulled the fuel filter out of the tank and removed it. Saw ran great so I guess I bought the wrong filter when I replace the fuel lines and filter last year. And recommendations on a better filter? The filter I have is the only one the local shop carries that is this fuel line size.

dbba775b6af8da0e2a733afbcce9a636.jpg

Went to the Stihl dealer and bought the biggest saw filter they had in stock. All seems good now. If the weather holds I'll be headed to the woods later this week. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Latest posts

Back