New guy new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman33

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just joined the forum a few weeks ago, it is crazy the amount of information on this site !!!! And everybody seems to reply so fast its like an online mechanic shop 24/7.

My story is i bought a poulan 3416 at crappy tire this summer to cut my firewood, ''i know i know'', i cut 5 cord of maple/birch and the saw started acting up, ended up my piston and the cylinder were all scratched up. So a guy in my comunity told me about a older gentelman who passed away and is wife was stuck with a chainsaw shop in her basement and was basically selling everything. So i got there anf got myself a brand new redmax g5300 for 400$ tax in. Thats a good price here considering i live in canada and were getting ripped off left and right on crazy prices. Here are a few pictures of it. Seems like its the same as the husky 353 from what ive been told.

102_1891.jpg

102_1892.jpg

102_1893.jpg

102_1895.jpg

102_1896.jpg

And this is my other saw, a jonsered 590 that i found in the basement of my father in law, he said nothing was wrong with it other that having sooo much saw dust eveywhere inside of it and a broken plastic cover on one side. I brought it home cleaned her all up and she fired right up after 6 years of laying in a basement. The thing has a lottt of get up and go.

102_1900.jpg

102_1898.jpg

102_1897.jpg

Don't know much about Redmax but I like your jonny red. You gotta like a guy that post pics on his first post. Basements seem to be where you're the most lucky. Keep up the basement shopping and just see what happens!
Welcome to the addiction.........and this site

Last edited:
Welcome to the site! Congrats on graduating from the Crappy Tire specials and on scoring the Redmax, thats a really good price for that saw here.

Not a bad start... two saws. I started with just one. It'll be interesting to see where you end up a year or two from now once the addiction sets in. Cheers bud! :cheers:

Great lookin saws. By this time next year you will prolly have 4 more saws......:hmm3grin2orange:

But thats a good thing!:rock:

HAHA thanks guys !! I can tell already that there is something about chainsaw thats addictive. My girlfriend seems to know that everytime i go in the basement its to work on the saws lol, and she doesnt like it because im always there...i told her next year when i build my garage its just gonna get worst so she needs to start practicing on her patience :rock:

Hi and welcome

Great finds! What is the rod taped to the handle on the redmax? Was that old chainsaw guy living in Burks Falls? I'm in Huntsville just down the road. Does the wife have any deals left?

Lots of questions.

Regards,

Lee

Great finds! What is the rod taped to the handle on the redmax? Was that old chainsaw guy living in Burks Falls? I'm in Huntsville just down the road. Does the wife have any deals left?

Lots of questions.

Regards,

Lee

The tape is euuuu :bang: me being a newbie i wanted to put the wipper or whatever its called on the handle to mesure the 4foot logs, i drilled a hole through the handles and i found it to be the gas tank :msp_sleep:, so i closed the hole again by melting the plastic in the hole, then i just basically epoxyed the wipper on the handle and put some electrical tape to make it look better lol.

I live in New Brunswick canada so i dont think its nowhere near burks fall :p

Did you actually hit the fuel tank resevoir when you drilled the hole/s in the rear handle of the saw? I've seen numerous saws from the east coast, mostly older Husqvarna models with the holes drilled in the base of the rear handle with no issues for mounting the measuring stick.

Did you actually hit the fuel tank resevoir when you drilled the hole/s in the rear handle of the saw? I've seen numerous saws from the east coast, mostly older Husqvarna models with the holes drilled in the base of the rear handle with no issues for mounting the measuring stick.

Yes i did, it was only a really small bit though so it only made a small hole, the handle is part of the gas tank and i didnt know. I emptied the gas and was able to close the hole by melting the plastic around it with a saudering gun with the steel tip nice and hot. The older husky's gas tank were not indluded in the handle i dont believe.

Can you describe approximately where the hole you drilled is? just for reference of the size/location of the fuel tank on that model of saw

Can you describe approximately where the hole you drilled is? just for reference of the size/location of the fuel tank on that model of saw

Im pretty sure the tank includes the entire bottom plate of the handle. I drilled right in the middle and a little bit on the chain side, so i was pretty centered.

Latest posts

Back