New guy, New Saw. (Pics Included)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, And Welcome!!

You have done your homework very well! You picked a great saw, and you know a lot about saws and chain. Good for you!

Now for your mission should you choose accept it!!

You are a gearhead. You simply have to learn how to sharpen your own chains. IMHO, nobody can call himself a chainsaw guy without knowing how to sharpen chainsaw chain!!!! Haha!

It is very rewarding to put a fresh edge on your chains. It isn't "mission impossible"

Research it, as there is great info to be learned on this site. Also I believe there is good info on the Stihl and Oregon sites as well.

It is actually relatively simple to learn.

Good luck! Bob

Last edited:
Since you asked.....

IMG00314-20100529-1405.jpg

Mmmmmm...is that fresh cut Hickory?:hmm3grin2orange:

Congratulations!!!

Congrats!!! You are going to love that saw. I can't seem to wear out my Huskies and we have a tree service. We've been running Husqvarnas for over three and a half years now. Good research, good idea on the chaps, good investment - just don't forget the ear and eye protection.:) great first post. How much rep can one give you to earn the Jeep? I love it!!

Rep sent. :)

Welcome to the forum.

And so it begins.:msp_scared:
Who wants to bet that you end up with at least 2 more saws within a year or want to port or have the 357 ported.:msp_w00t:

LOLOL!!!! Yeah I repped him and told him about CAD!!!!!!

I would have to bet with you,,, not against you!!!!

Glad you decided to post!

Rep sent for making an informed purchase and a good first post :msp_thumbup:.
Yep!!!

Thanks. The best part is my 3 yr old wont go to sleep until he gets to give it a hug good night.

Quick question for you guys regarding chains. Everybody seems to like the Stihl chains, the RMC and the RSC. The RSC, being a full chisel, supposedly will go dull faster than a semi chisel like the RMC. Well, what is faster? how much faster? Will i be able to fell and buck a few trees? At any given time I cut a cord at a time, max. Also, I dont file. I drop off my chains and pick them up sharp. I might learn to do it, but I was never any good at knife sharpening. lolAlso my Stihl dealer wants $25 for a 68DL 3/8 .050 RMC or RSC. Is this about right? I heard good things about the woodland pro chain from bailey's but it have been out of stock for a while and I want to put a spare chain in the jeep with me.

Always a good Idea to pack a file with a handle so you can touch up your chain, especially if out on the trail,,, a spare chain wont hurt either,, learn to pay attention your chip flow an when you see them getting smaller,,, either touch up the cutters or swap chains,, either way a sharp chain is your saws best friend,,,,

Nice Jeep BTW!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, with a new saw comes new work...I was volunteered to drop a 60ft maple in the gf's dads front yard. Roughly 16" trunk. On the way I stopped and picked up a Stihl RSC chain. Wow! In actual use this saw leaps and bounds over anything I have used in the past. It just chews through the wood like an angry beaver high on PCP.

At first I was a little worried about the saw because it was a sizable investment and I have not gotten run this saw prior to the purchase. I basically bought it on everyone's information posted here and you fellas have not lead me astray. Thank you guys again for all the great info here! Sorry didn't get any pics as i was kinda sorta rushing by working between thunderstorms. I think my gf grabbed a couple pics from the house so I might post some up of it after it was down and mostly cut up.

Thanks again guys! I couldn't be happier.

My jeep (love offroading maybe even more than chainsaws). sorry no good actions shots. 04 rubicon 5.13 gears Arb's G2 shafts 36'' irocks
DSC02827.jpg

As far as I know the saw is stock. The guy I bought it off of didnt mention anything otherwise. Whats the difference between the 359 and 357? anything I should be concerned about?

Thats a nice looking jeep. Mine is a 92, ford 8.8 rear with yukon shafts, front is a D30 with yukon shafts and ox locker which I converted to air operated via a stainless Bimba air cylinder, both diffs are geared to 4.88's on 35's. It has a bunch of other stuff, recently finished my York OBA....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-york-oba-1176676/

the 359 is 1mm larger bore and hase removable covers on the transfers. the 359 is a slight step down in power but not much. some of the aftermarket 359 kits I have seen were pretty rough in the casting and finish department.

As far as I know the saw is stock. The guy I bought it off of didnt mention anything otherwise. Whats the difference between the 359 and 357? anything I should be concerned about?

Thats a nice looking jeep. Mine is a 92, ford 8.8 rear with yukon shafts, front is a D30 with yukon shafts and ox locker which I converted to air operated via a stainless Bimba air cylinder, both diffs are geared to 4.88's on 35's. It has a bunch of other stuff, recently finished my York OBA....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-york-oba-1176676/

Nice build. I am going to 60s next but unfortunately cant fund them yet.

My York OBA - JeepForum.com

Nice build. I am going to 60s next but unfortunately cant fund them yet.

South hills, bethel park.

Guys I think I have a problem.... was looking for wood to cut and decided to prune my mothers magnolia tree. Needless to say pruning with a 357xp wasn't too fun... I think I need a T handle saw now..... is this how CAD starts?

South hills, bethel park.

Guys I think I have a problem.... was looking for wood to cut and decided to prune my mothers magnolia tree. Needless to say pruning with a 357xp wasn't too fun... I think I need a T handle saw now..... is this how CAD starts?

Yes!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back