New Husqvarna 465 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a 465 about a month ago and must say I'm very impressed with it.

Initial thoughts -

I was skeptical running a 28" bar w/ a ~64cc motor however the saw has voided my doubts. I run the saw at around 9000 ft elevation and the auto tune adjusts exceptionally well. I ran a rancher 460 before and was generally disappointed at this altitude however this saw is a beast. I run a Stihl 440 magnum up here for larger jobs and I must say this husky saw can keep up if need be. Only con is the plastic components as opposed to the pro saws but that's expected at the price point it's offered at.

Mods - I did perform a single port mod to the muffler and increased the stock exit by approx 70-80%. Auto tune compensated for mod and I noticed a nice increase in spool up performance when hammering the throttle. Also modified a set of large felling spikes to maximize this saw. I'd say it's about as close as you can get to a pro saw if you need some strong performance on larger wood but don't need a pro saw for commercial type logging work.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
Without starting a Stihl vs Husky debate (which will likely happen anyways because that's basically what I'm asking), how do you guys think the 465 will stack up against the MS391? I'm looking at getting a 60-70cc saw for firewood. Cutting mainly Green Ash but possibly some oak too. Looking at the specs they seem to be very comparable on paper but I think I'm leaning towards the 465 because of the AT and it has a slightly lower price.
Check my review out below, I run a Stihl 440 mag and just picked up a 465 for my firewood cuts, very impressed with the 465 if you're still on the fence.

Check my review out below, I run a Stihl 440 mag and just picked up a 465 for my firewood cuts, very impressed with the 465 if you're still on the fence.
Thanks for the info. I'm still on the fence. For $90 more I could get a 555 that has the same hp but 1.1lbs lighter and it has a very solid reputation. I've also been milling around the idea of just going all out and getting a ported 562xp but I could buy 2 465s for that price. Many on this site would say I need a 70cc to pair with my 550xp and I've considered that too but I really like the idea of a ported 60cc saw that can run with (or at least close to) a stock 70cc saw.

So does the AT mean unleaded fuel only? How does the saw sense the tune?
Are you asking how AutoTune works? Any unleaded gas 87 octane or higher would be acceptable. Personally, I try to only use non-ethanol 91 octane. AT compensates for different fuels.

Are you asking how AutoTune works? Any unleaded gas 87 octane or higher would be acceptable. Personally, I try to only use non-ethanol 91 octane. AT compensates for different fuels.
Does it have sensors that will be ruined by the lead in the gas. I run my saws on 100LL leaded airplane gas

Does it have sensors that will be ruined by the lead in the gas. I run my saws on 100LL leaded airplane gas
There is an air/fuel mixture sensor in the carb but I'm not sure if lead would ruin that or not. I don't think I'd risk it to find out but I'm happy running unleaded. Can I why you use leaded? I was born after the time of leaded gas but from what I've heard it really only benefits high performance (high compression) engines and also helps cushion the valves on 4-strokes.

This is from my 550xp manual. Sounds like you shouldn't run leaded if you have a catalytic converter but otherwise it's ok???

• Use good quality unleaded gasoline.

CAUTION! Engines equipped with catalytic

converters must be run on unleaded fuel

mixtures.
Leaded gasoline will destroy the catalytic

converter and it will no longer serve its purpose. The

green fuel cap on saws fitted with catalytic converters

means that only unleaded gasoline can be used.

There is an air/fuel mixture sensor in the carb but I'm not sure if lead would ruin that or not. I don't think I'd risk it to find out but I'm happy running unleaded. Can I why you use leaded? I was born after the time of leaded gas but from what I've heard it really only benefits high performance (high compression) engines and also helps cushion the valves on 4-strokes.

This is from my 550xp manual. Sounds like you shouldn't run leaded if you have a catalytic converter but otherwise it's ok???

• Use good quality unleaded gasoline.

CAUTION! Engines equipped with catalytic

converters must be run on unleaded fuel

mixtures.
Leaded gasoline will destroy the catalytic

converter and it will no longer serve its purpose. The

green fuel cap on saws fitted with catalytic converters

means that only unleaded gasoline can be used.

No current Husky models have a cat in the muffler, but the "e-tech" versions of some older ones did.

I get it for free at work. I run it in my lawn mowers, splitter, etc.
It smells great mixed with 2 cycle oil

Yes I just picked up one to replace a stolen MS440 ( yes I know they are not close but I did not use it enough to spend the money to replace it). I have only used it twice and seemed to work well. It came with a 28" bar but probably going to get a 24" as the permanent bar. I also got a 450 non Rancher which works pretty damn well also.

Looking for a saw with more snot than my 450. Any saw I get will more than likely sit on the shelf (floor) for six months or so at a time.
Are the plastic saws better suited for extended disuse ? If so maybe the 465 , otherwise I'm gonna opt for a 555.

My 555 gets used quite a bit in the fall and winter. The other times (like late spring/summer) it is usually sitting on the shelf. Always fires right up. I have noticed that if the seasons have changed in between uses that it takes a minute or so for the AT to right itself. Then back to running like a champ. Either way, premix fuel for me if it will be sitting for long periods with gas in it.

Looking for updates on the 465. After yesterdays work out I need a second saw with a 24-28 inch bar.

I have been tempted to pick up a 465 for some time. Spike60 can hook a guy up with a great price. I bet with a MM and TA these would run close to a stock 70 cc saw

Latest posts

Back