New John Deere chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
I was in the dealership to pick up some parts for work today. saw three saws on the shelf, two "CS 40" at 39cc with .325 chain and a "CS62" at 61.5 cc and 3/8 chain. Saws said made in Italy. What are they?

pallis

pallis

ArboristSite Operative
Olympyk/Oleo-Mac which is now Efco/John Deere, and they are great saws. I'm working on an excuse to buy a CS62. I haven't perfected my delivery yet, but it's getting there. "Honey, I know all these chainsaws are getting in the way, but they just aren't the right saw for cutting the wood I'm in right now" -- or something like that.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
u wont be sorry ,im thinking. they solid saws. then get dave nieger to mod it for you .
just look out when u crank that thing up . stock its an excellent saw. after dave does his thing. well try it an see for uself

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
pallis said:
Olympyk/Oleo-Mac which is now Efco/John Deere......
As far as I know, all these brands are made by EMAK in Italy. I am not 100% sure, but I think that all these brands still is sold somewhere.....

They have a good reputation, but I have read complains about filtration, wibe dampening and finish.

canguy21

canguy21

ArboristSite Operative
J-D has never done a good job with parts and service on their saw lines here. They will sell them to their ag and construction customers as a matter of convenience but seem to consider them a nuisance

pallis

pallis

ArboristSite Operative
Tony, how does the weight of the 62 compare to the 7900? I thought the 56/62 case was smaller and lighter than the Dolmar 64/7900, but looking at the specs they seem about the same.

I can't say much about service on the "Emaks." Mine have never had anything go wrong. I did notice my little 951F wasn't starting on the second pull the other day. I guess it's time for a new plug, carb cleaning and air filter.

Last edited:
tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
ive never had an look at an 7900 ,although i hear good stuff. i just remember thinking about how the 962 weighed same as my 028 and was stronger. nothin off trhe 028.
u wont ever hear me say a thing against that particular saw. the 028, being just about my favorite saw for yrs. id still be proud to own one.since my 962 was modded . heck its in different category altogather.