New member and a new to me saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear handle on 08/08S is orange and kinda like a "top handle" version. S10 handle is black and more towards the back of the saw.
You sir, are wrong.
There were (2) S10 models produced.
One top handle, one rear handle.
The top handle saws resemble the 08-08S very closely with the only visible difference being that the S10 has a cast aluminum muffler.

The screw in the vent is called a grub screw and isnt rocket science.

Those big carbs have big diaphragms and take a while to catch prime.

Hoping to go and mess with it later this evening. My goal is to hopefully have it run. I only have it about 6 pulls yesterday. No sign of fuel. Plan tonight is to inspect the hoses and carb to troubleshoot fueling. Heck maybe I just didn't pull it enough.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hoping to go and mess with it later this evening. My goal is to hopefully have it run. I only have it about 6 pulls yesterday. No sign of fuel. Plan tonight is to inspect the hoses and carb to troubleshoot fueling. Heck maybe I just didn't pull it enough.

Eric

I have an early 08.
If it sits for more than a few months, you sorta need to prime it with a spray bottle.
Just the way it is.

Thanks for the help. I'll hopefully be more successful this evening. I will post back my results.

Eric

Dont be.
I just gave you the correct answer.
I'm sorry, but I disagree.
I've been wrong before, but I need a little more proof or a manual displaying the differences and options.
I've never seen an S-10 manual, but Ive seen quite a few S10's. All back handle.
Why would they simultaneously make two models that were Identical, except for the muffler, and the lettering on the oiler?
Yes, an S10 oiler/ clutch cover is the same as an 08S, except for the lettering.
They don't even list the S10 on eService anymore for me to verify that there were two variations.

Eric

The choke lever is missing on yours.
Until you fix it, it's not going to start without a prime. lol

You mean this little booger?
20170101_134522.jpg
Got a new one. Have yet to install it. Still wondering what holds it in. Maybe something that goes through the slot? I was able to operate the choke last night with a screw driver. Still no luck. Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't spend a ton of time with it. Basically verified spark and sprayed a little fuel in carb. Saw it run for a few seconds and posted here.

Eric

I'm sorry, but I disagree.
I've been wrong before, but I need a little more proof or a manual displaying the differences and options.
I've never seen an S-10 manual, but Ive seen quite a few S10's. All back handle.
Why would they simultaneously make two models that were Identical, except for the muffler, and the lettering on the oiler?
Yes, an S10 oiler/ clutch cover is the same as an 08S, except for the lettering.
They don't even list the S10 on eService anymore.
And this response is exactly why I don't visit this place anymore.
You take a place and fill them with members like yourself who think they know everything and spout off at the mouth spreading false information.

And this response is exactly why I don't visit this place anymore.
You take a place and fill them with members like yourself who think they know everything and spout off at the mouth spreading false information.
Ha Ha...Beg your pardon?
I never spouted off. But you just did. lol
I just asked the source of your information, so I can stand corrected.
I don't know you, so don't presume to know me.

STIHLS10Cropped.jpg

Well....unless that's photo shopped, I think we have a winner. I haven't had a chance to work on her yet. I also have a loader project going on with my other hobby. I'm definitely missing the metal clip needed to hold the choke slide. Might check with my dealer on that. Seems, that I will repaint it also. Given that it's not common (I use "rare" sparingly), I'd say it deserves that. Thanks everyone again. Will update soon enough.

Eric

Latest posts

Back