New member and a new to me saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well....unless that's photo shopped, I think we have a winner. I haven't had a chance to work on her yet. I also have a loader project going on with my other hobby. I'm definitely missing the metal clip needed to hold the choke slide. Might check with my dealer on that. Seems, that I will repaint it also. Given that it's not common (I use "rare" sparingly), I'd say it deserves that. Thanks everyone again. Will update soon enough.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Send me a PM. I have a couple dozen of all three choke pieces I'll give you what you need. Just pay shipping.

I have HL carb kits too, but if I were you I'd get a new aftermarket one off eBay. They are dirt cheap, and although they are made in China, they are not too bad, especially considering the price. (IMO

As old as that saw is, it more than likely has play in the throttle and choke shafts, which can unbalance the mix and make it hard to start and have a wandering idle.
A stiff diaphragm from age can cause it to be hard to start, or a clogged HS circuit screen or the inlet screen inside the carb.

I could've posted a pic of the S10 top handle cover I have above my bench, but there was no way to "prove" it to you.
No, that's proof enough for me.
You were right, and I was wrong, and I can admit it.  :bowdown:
Heck, I've probably even seen that ad sign before, but didn't notice the 08/08S top handle on it. Lol
But don't think I'm a "know it all" because I got my facts wrong about a variation of a saw from almost 50 years ago.
If I've learned something today, well, that's a good thing.
Anybody that knows it all is welcome here, but I'd prefer it if they weren't arrogant though.
Happy New Years

Heck, I've probably even seen that ad sign before, but didn't notice the 08/08S top handle on it. Lol
But don't think I'm a "know it all" because I got my facts wrong about a variation of a saw from almost 50 years ago.
Anybody that knows it all is welcome here, but I'd prefer it if they weren't arrogant though.
Happy New Years
Amen to that!

Send me a PM. I have a couple dozen of all three choke pieces I'll give you what you need. Just pay shipping.

I have HL carb kits too, but if I were you I'd get a new aftermarket one off eBay. They are dirt cheap, and although they are made in China, they are not too bad, especially considering the price. (IMO

As old as that saw is, it more than likely has play in the throttle and choke shafts, which can unbalance the mix and make it hard to start and have a wandering idle.
A stiff diaphragm from age can cause it to be hard to start, or a clogged HS circuit screen or the inlet screen inside the carb.
I'll get with you later today. If the shafts are good, I'd like to use a carb kit. Keep it as original as I can. Putting my time in at work right now.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Happy New Years
I was also wrong in thinking there wasn't a top handle Stihl S10, and that all S10's have the small carb etc...

If I came across as an arrogant know-it-all, I apologize. I wan only trying to help the OP with what limited knowledge I had.

Glad I learned something new today!!
;)

Back