New MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I just got a new MS 290 at a great price and for my uses it will do all I need. It came with a 20" bar running .325, .063 and I have added a 16" bar and the same size chains. For the lime being I plan on using the 16" bar and leaving the larger stuff to my 20" Homie.

Questions: I've heard and read about the fact that these saws take 5 - 15 tanks of fuel through them to really come alive. Would anyone care to explain and give some advise for usage during this period.

The manual also says "No full throttle off load for the first three tanks." Does this mean I can use full throttle when I'm in the wood?

Also it talks about using the carb preheater below 50 degrees F, please share your experience with this operation and how necessary is it.

I'm not a newbie to saws, but this is my first new, modern saw, so your advise and experience is appreciated.

Thanks. :

Homelite SXL-AO
2 smaller Macs for limbing and light bucking.

I always run my saws at full throttle even when new I don't full throttle them when they are out of a cut. I am in an area where it does not get cold enoguh to mess with the carb preheater. I would use high qualty oil and use good judgement and the saw will last along time.

The org I work with got a new MS361 and it said to not run at max speed for the first three to five tanks. I took that litterally, although I ran it pretty good in the cut; but, not at full throttle. Then the book said, it would continue to increase in power until about the 15th tank of fuel. And that's the way I broke it in; and its performing great. Patience is the key I think. Having said that; one person on this site said to "shorten" the breakin time, he ran it at max speed from get go. I just played it safe, and followed the book. I don't think you can go wrong doing what they say. Also, I used 40:1 fuel mixture during breakin, even though EPA/ CA and Stihl recommend 50:1 and high test gas. But again, I'm a conservative who is using 32:1 fuel mixture in my weedeater's and chainsaws this year. Good luck, and enjoy the saw.

Thanks Dan, I know that I need to be WFO when I'm cutting, but this break-in period sounds funky. I'm just hoping to keep learning from you guys with the experience with New Stihls. I can take all the abuse that might come my way as long as I can learn from it. I know the 290 is not the most popular saw on this forum, but for $200 I couldn't say NO. All advise taken.

I didn't say anything about your saw I had one just like it when I started out. Once you get over the power/weight ratio its a good little saw. I like mine and was thinking about getting another one but I got a deal on a 036 pro and took that. $200 was a good deal for a new one my dealer has then for $330.00 with a 20 inch bar.

Dan - sorry, no offense meant, thanks for the advise. I was just encouraging the rest of the guys to let fly, sometimes they have to play before they help. :rolleyes:

break in

Run the saw at full throttle UNDER LOAD, IN THE CUT. No full throttle out of the cut.
Run the recommended fuel mix.
Maintain the bar, chain, air filter, etc., and you will have the saw a long time.

You've bought yourself a great saw there. I learned to cut with a a 290, and it will remain apart of my arsenal for a long time. I use mine with a 20" bar and the stihl RS chisel chain. You can slow it down with that setup, but it's never let me down yet!

Justin

I was just looking at that saw on E-bay. Seller has three listed, new in the box, buy it now for $345 + $32 shipping. I want the $200 model. Sounds like you did well.

Just as Stihltech says...

Stihl wants you to LIMIT the RPM, not the power. Max power is probably about 8000-9000 (plus or minus), not the 12-13000 it will easily pull out of the box with no load. Break it in nice and it will last a long time. Be sure to let it cool off before shutting down - just let it idle for a minute or two after high power cutting.

Lakeside53 said:
Just as Stihltech says...
Stihl wants you to LIMIT the RPM, not the power.
That was my reaction too, when I read West Texas's post......

Max power should be at about 9500 rpm for the 361 and most other pro saws from Stihl.

Thanks to all who chimed in with their experience. Any feedback regarding the carb preheater and usage.

pbuehning said:
Thanks to all who chimed in with their experience. Any feedback regarding the carb preheater and usage.

In really cold weather it will keep the carb warm, preventing icing, while you freeze.

16gauge said:
In really cold weather it will keep the carb warm, preventing icing, while you freeze.

If it is icing it is because you have water in your gas, gas itself does not freeze the water does.

Lobo

Lobo said:
If it is icing it is because you have water in your gas, gas itself does not freeze the water does.

Right, should have known that or at least stated it if I didn't know :blob2: Haha!! The point is that in really cold weather the sawyer (at my age) is going to be affected more than the saw...with or without the winter carb device.

16gauge said:
..........in really cold weather the sawyer (at my age) is going to be affected more than the saw...with or without the winter carb device.
Heated handles will help, though.
They are nice when your hands (gloves) get wet too! ;)

pbuehning said:
I take it that this is not about the electric type heater, but the one that lets hot air from the engine into the carb area.
Your user manual should give you an idea of when to activate it, I think it is at about - 5 celsius.
It will let extra debris into the filter area, so don't use it unless needed!

pbuehning said:

On 270 the carb preheater is somewhat tricky, at -5-10C its effect is sometimes positive sometimes seem being negative and without preheating saw is running oftenly beter. Sadly 270 has no heated handles and here this is thing in winter is big plus :)

Lobo said:

Nope... The Icing that is stopped by the preheater is Carb Icing - caused by the interaction of moisture in the air and the pressure drop in the carb cooling the air to the point it "snows" in the carb. Happens mostly between 25 and 40 and higher relative humidity. If you saw starts to run rough at power in damp cool weather, then comes right after a few minutes of sitting, it's probaly carb icing. Leaving the preheater ON in hot summer days can damage the engine. Pumping hot air into the carb not what it needs. Stihl usually says shut it of above 50 and open it below, but I just keep it off unless I'm having problems. Better to err on the cool side.

Latest posts

Back