New MS 400 today. She’s HOT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkerpusher

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Husky guy here. Wanted to try a Stihl, ordered an MS362 with 3/4 wrap back in December but still waiting for it. Today, I cancelled that and used my payment toward a MS400. Partly thanks to learning from a member here that the 362 wrap will fit a 400, even though there doesn’t seem to be a 3/4 wrap made for the 400. Ran a tank through it this afternoon after replacing the dogs and muffler cover with those I had here waiting on the other saw. It’s hot! Doesn’t have as much down low as I was hoping, but keep chain speed up and it really throws some chips. Ran it back to back with our 562xp and 390xp and it sits right between them, as I guess I expected it to. For what it weighs, its pretty impressive!

Attachments

• C4D5981A-7D39-43EB-BD35-B7B53D8499E3.jpeg
    C4D5981A-7D39-43EB-BD35-B7B53D8499E3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
  • D505E651-194F-4618-B4D4-2FC53ED431D3.jpeg
    D505E651-194F-4618-B4D4-2FC53ED431D3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
Husky guy here. Wanted to try a Stihl, ordered an MS362 with 3/4 wrap back in December but still waiting for it. Today, I cancelled that and used my payment toward a MS400. Partly thanks to learning from a member here that the 362 wrap will fit a 400, even though there doesn’t seem to be a 3/4 wrap made for the 400. Ran a tank through it this afternoon after replacing the dogs and muffler cover with those I had here waiting on the other saw. It’s hot! Doesn’t have as much down low as I was hoping, but keep chain speed up and it really throws some chips. Ran it back to back with our 562xp and 390xp and it sits right between them, as I guess I expected it to. For what it weighs, its pretty impressive!
8-10 tanks and it will really wake up. A bit lighter than my 462 and a bit more grunt than 261.

Can’t wait to get it broke in. I would have thought maybe 5 tanks would do it but I will take your word for it. Will throw some work at it next week shouldn’t take long
This was the first saw I ever kept track of during break-in. I'm guessing around 8 when I noticed how much it picked up. Running all stock with 20 inch bar. Non E at about 45:1.

This was the first saw I ever kept track of during break-in. I'm guessing around 8 when I noticed how much it picked up. Running all stock with 20 inch bar. Non E at about 45:1.
Thanks for the input. I’m about the same mix. I have a 28” bar on it, I’m not sure it’s able to oil it though and might go shorter

For the weight it sure is an impressive saw, I think this will be one of Stihl's
best performers and eventually sellers. Its on my wish list too.

Been running a 400 for about 2 months. Have been impressed so far. The throttle response crazy fast. I have seem dyno reports of 6.25 hp on a broke in saw with a bark box. All this in a powerhead that weighs under 13#.
That’s incredible power. I put a bark box on mine right away. Looking forward to breaking it in and getting used to it. You’re right about the throttle response

Wow those logs are huge!:baba::baba::baba::chainsaw:

I just installed a 3/4 wrap kit on my 400C tonight so I can definitively say that the 362 wrap kit works fine. Seems to be some question about this on the net. Part number for the kit is

1140 007 1012.​

I also added the oiler with 461 control bolt and and piston.
Thanks for the part number. My dealer seems confused, this will help me track it down.

I might change my oiler too, it doesn’t seem like it is oiling the 28” bar very well

Thanks for the part number. My dealer seems confused, this will help me track it down.

I might change my oiler too, it doesn’t seem like it is oiling the 28” bar very well

My 362's stock oil pump doesn't put out enough to properly oil a 24" bar let alone a 28.

There's a thread around here somewhere detailing the mods you can make to the 362 pump to increase oil output by different amounts.

Especially since you are using a 28" B&C which is more then Stihl recommends.
All they had was 20 and 28.

It seems to handle and balance great with it. Just the oiler I question. When 25” is available I will switch it out. If I can get the oiler fixed, I think the 28 is ok.

Latest posts

Back