New MS 400 today. She’s HOT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All they had was 20 and 28.

It seems to handle and balance great with it. Just the oiler I question. When 25” is available I will switch it out. If I can get the oiler fixed, I think the 28 is ok.

Do you mean that the 400 was assembled with 20 and 28, or that those were what they had on the shelf for you to select from? Certainly you are the best to judge how the saw works with the 28. Lots of variables, skip tooth, soft woods allow me to run a more aggressive setup then the factory recommendations.

Keep us posted on the oiler upgrades, part numbers, effects, et.al.

I upgraded my 461s oiler and it made a big difference in running the 32" B&C. It was a great setup that I didn't use all that much but was nice to have when I needed it.

Do you mean that the 400 was assembled with 20 and 28, or that those were what they had on the shelf for you to select from? Certainly you are the best to judge how the saw works with the 28. Lots of variables, skip tooth, soft woods allow me to run a more aggressive setup then the factory recommendations.

Keep us posted on the oiler upgrades, part numbers, effects, et.al.

I upgraded my 461s oiler and it made a big difference in running the 32" B&C. It was a great setup that I didn't use all that much but was nice to have when I needed it.
The 400 was assembled with a 20” for display, and the dealer didn’t have any 25” bars in stock so I chose 28” instead. 20” Is too short for my plans for the saw.

looking at your posts in another 400 thread, I think we think similar about saw setups. For example, my 550xp wears a 20” and runs 3/8 chain and runs better and cleaner than the 18” .325 it came with, despite my dealers protests.

I need to do some homework on the oiler upgrade. Ran it some this morning and it’s 100% not getting enough oil out and the bar is running too hot. I don’t know much about Stihl saws so I’m starting at ground zero with my research. If I can get it to oil with the 28” bar then this saw is perfect for what I need it for!

I just installed a 3/4 wrap kit on my 400C tonight so I can definitively say that the 362 wrap kit works fine. Seems to be some question about this on the net. Part number for the kit is

1140 007 1012.​

I also added the oiler with 461 control bolt and and piston.
Do you have any advice on what part number or oiler I would need? If you don’t have anything handy don’t waste time digging please.

The 400 was assembled with a 20” for display, and the dealer didn’t have any 25” bars in stock so I chose 28” instead. 20” Is too short for my plans for the saw.

looking at your posts in another 400 thread, I think we think similar about saw setups. For example, my 550xp wears a 20” and runs 3/8 chain and runs better and cleaner than the 18” .325 it came with, despite my dealers protests.

I need to do some homework on the oiler upgrade. Ran it some this morning and it’s 100% not getting enough oil out and the bar is running too hot. I don’t know much about Stihl saws so I’m starting at ground zero with my research. If I can get it to oil with the 28” bar then this saw is perfect for what I need it for!

For the 461, the parts needed to upgrade the oiler were explicitly described and part numbers were given here on this site. Armed with the exact information I ordered them from my Stihl dealer, and the parts guy seemed skeptical on what I was doing and how I was going about it. In other words, this is something users created, i.e. not something Stihl offered to its saw community.

FWIW, look into the 461 oiler upgrade on this site. For all I know that might be the solution, but if nothing else will help give you some direction.

Do you have any advice on what part number or oiler I would need? If you don’t have anything handy don’t waste time digging please.
The oiler you want is for the MS461R model.
Or if you don't mind swapping out parts the control bolt and piston are part #'s piston-1128 647 0602, control bolt- 1128 647 4803.

The oiler you want is for the MS461R model.
Or if you don't mind swapping out parts the control bolt and piston are part #'s piston-1128 647 0602, control bolt- 1128 647 4803.
Thank you 🙏. That’s perfect, I don’t mind doing the work just no clue where to start with what parts to get. Sincerely, thank you.

For the 461, the parts needed to upgrade the oiler were explicitly described and part numbers were given here on this site. Armed with the exact information I ordered them from my Stihl dealer, and the parts guy seemed skeptical on what I was doing and how I was going about it. In other words, this is something users created, i.e. not something Stihl offered to its saw community.

FWIW, look into the 461 oiler upgrade on this site. For all I know that might be the solution, but if nothing else will help give you some direction.
I realize this isn’t a Stihl authorized upgrade, but a workaround using parts meant for other saws. I’m ok with that.

Played around with it a little this morning. There’s really nothing about how it cuts, balances feels or looks that suggests 28” is too much. If it were a husky it would be a recommended max length I’m sure. Oiler fix it is 💪🏼

Attachments

• 1F4E59E1-9389-49EC-935F-75280CB86C80.jpeg
    1F4E59E1-9389-49EC-935F-75280CB86C80.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 9
My 400 oils a 25” just fine, no upgrade needed.
Oil output is kind of subjective. I will say this. Newer Stihl pro saws do not put out the quantity of oil that Husky XP saws do. That is, unless they have the HO oiler.
I always add the HO oilers to my Stihl saws anytime I plan on running a bar longer than 20". IMO it's needed, but opinions vary on that.

Oil output is kind of subjective. I will say this. Newer Stihl pro saws do not put out the quantity of oil that Husky XP saws do. That is, unless they have the HO oiler.
I always add the HO oilers to my Stihl saws anytime I plan on running a bar longer than 20". IMO it's needed, but opinions vary on that.
I agree. I like alot of oil. Some wood needs more oil than others.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

My 400 has about 10 gallons through it now.
It was hot right outta the box.... every time I cut with it I end up with a big grin on my face! it's just plain flat hot even in stock form, and it's so light I quit using my 50cc saws cause there doesn't seem to be any point when a 67cc saw is only slightly heaver and has way more power!
I'm running a 20 inch bar, not having any oiling issues at all, I don't see it having any trouble with a 24" or 28" bar.

Back