new ms360 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just KIDDING

Don't let OLY-JIM fool ya....see all the saws he has in his signature.....keeps all of em' covered in a plastic bag when cuttin' so they keep that brand new look........:)

I only covered the front half of the holes where most of the dirt and saw dust can get in, the back by the handle is not taped up as much. guess I lose the bet. I was just trying to keep the saw nice and clean. thanks for the information.

Good point, by keeping it clean the muffler bearing should last longer......

kinda new here but have read a few posts for the last few days, anyway I got me a new saw for christmas and went out and went out and cut my very first fire wood with it yesterday, man what a saw. the wife got me a ms360 and man do I love that saw. anyway I would like to keep it looking brand-new for as long as I can. anyway I got all the fuel and oil mixed up and bar lubricant in and the saw fired right up on the second pull.

anyway my neighbor came over to see what was going on and asked why I had all the little vent holes taped up that are around the pull starter handle. I figured that since I wanted to keep it as new as I can that this would help keep all the dirt and saw dust out where it is impossible to clean. I put that blue removable painting tape over all the holes so it would stay clean. he said that I should not do that because the saw would get hot, but it was like 15 degrees outside at the time. anyway all the packaging and manuals are gone with the christmas trash so I have a bet with him that I am right and he is wrong so win me a beer.

thanks for any help

Are you for real?

Where did she find you a brand new MS360? Great saw, but they haven't been made for several years.

eastern oregon, she said that they made a newer, better version now, like a 366 or something like that but that these were discontinued and got a good deal on it. thanks for the info

Don't let OLY-JIM fool ya....see all the saws he has in his signature.....keeps all of em' covered in a plastic bag when cuttin' so they keep that brand new look........:)

True...very true! Works like a charm too! Also, In order to save on fuel mix...I fill half tank with water to cut-down costs...just tricks of the trade...you know! :hmm3grin2orange:

It can't be any different than a winter cover or winter mode! Might even be a poor mans heated handles mod!!!!

This is going to be a good thread tonight. I'm gonna sit back and drink the tepid Folgers....:food: :computer: :eek:

Did woodie get another screen name.:hmm3grin2orange:

BRIO1 - Hey from a fellow newb. There's some good advice mixed in with the good natured (I hope) ribbing. Those vent holes provide cooling for the engine and are essential for long engine life. And you need all of them, not just some. There's a fan on the rotor underneath the cover that blows air over the cylinder. Looking good won't help much if you overheat your saw. You could easily damage your piston/cylinder. It's not a bad idea to pop the cover off from time to time and clean out the dust.

I like my stuff looking nice too, but it's a tool and tools are to be used. By the end of a hard day mine look like they've never been cleaned; dust, bar oil, spilled fuel, cetra,cetra. But a few minutes blowing them off with an air hose, then a nice rub-down with a damp cloth, and they're looking good as new. Good excuse to 'fondle' the saws....:heart: You'll get a few scratches and dings and loose a little paint along the way, but that's all part of it. A few battle scars shows you're not skeert to use that thing! BTW - Nice saw and welcome to the site. Good folks and great info 'round here.

Last edited:
It can't be any different than a winter cover or winter mode!

Agreed. I have a plastic piece that covers bottom half for a ms260, purchased as part of a winter kit from Stihl. On my 034 I always used a piece of duct tape.

It does keep powder snow from being sucked in, and have used this method for a long time. Only when cool, (20F or lower), or a lot of powder on the ground.

As far as keeping the saw "new" looking:dizzy: Just use it and keep reasonably clean. Reminds me of a post I recently saw on a tractor site. Fellow wanted to know what kind of paint was best to keep his logging/general use chains free from rust:dizzy: :dizzy:

Would it piss anyone off if I said that the 441 has holes taped into the starter cover to install a cover for winter operation so that it doesn't suck snow into the air box?

As far as doing that on any other stihl. No way.

This smells of bs.

Not true.. the saw in question... MS360...has an optional arctic plate that covers the LOWER postion of the rewind cover...

as for bs.. if it looks like, smells like, tastes like.. walks like, talks like.. then...

Last edited:
Secret formula

This is going to be a good thread tonight. I'm gonna sit back and drink the tepid Folgers....:food: :computer: :eek:

Did woodie get another screen name.:hmm3grin2orange:

Brian,

You're not up in Virginny now are ya? Only place I know you can score the tepid Folgers. Oh, I have the secret formula from Tommie.

1. Take "Prospect" into back room.
2. Put 2 heaping scoups of orange Folgers in an old Stihl cup.
3. Heat up some gray water to 103 degrees.
4. Pour tepid gray water into the old Stihl cup.
5. Stir with a freebie Stihl carb adjustment screwdriver.
6. Serve to "prospect".
7. Blah, blah, blah
8. Repeat step 7 for 25 minutes.
9. Ring up sale and say, "Cash or credit?".
10. Go greet a new "prospect".

Joat

Brian,

You're not up in Virginny now are ya? Only place I know you can score the tepid Folgers. Oh, I have the secret formula from Tommie.

1. Take "Prospect" into back room.
2. Put 2 heaping scoups of orange Folgers in an old Stihl cup.
3. Heat up some gray water to 103 degrees.
4. Pour tepid gray water into the old Stihl cup.
5. Stir with a freebie Stihl carb adjustment screwdriver.
6. Serve to "prospect".
7. Blah, blah, blah
8. Repeat step 7 for 25 minutes.
9. Ring up sale and say, "Cash or credit?".
10. Go greet a new "prospect".

Joat

LOL, I will try that 10 step plan next time I met the Legend again. Step 7 would be my favorite part.:) Not so much on 9.:cry: :cry:

Gotta get back up there soon, needed a blower like yesterday. Hey, you got a 600, betta unlock the dog and watch out! I have been itching to try out my new GPS.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back