new ms360 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brio1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
kinda new here but have read a few posts for the last few days, anyway I got me a new saw for christmas and went out and went out and cut my very first fire wood with it yesterday, man what a saw. the wife got me a ms360 and man do I love that saw. anyway I would like to keep it looking brand-new for as long as I can. anyway I got all the fuel and oil mixed up and bar lubricant in and the saw fired right up on the second pull.

anyway my neighbor came over to see what was going on and asked why I had all the little vent holes taped up that are around the pull starter handle. I figured that since I wanted to keep it as new as I can that this would help keep all the dirt and saw dust out where it is impossible to clean. I put that blue removable painting tape over all the holes so it would stay clean. he said that I should not do that because the saw would get hot, but it was like 15 degrees outside at the time. anyway all the packaging and manuals are gone with the christmas trash so I have a bet with him that I am right and he is wrong so win me a beer.

thanks for any help

Gratz on the saw. The adhesive material on that tape is probably going to cause more problems than it fixes in the long run. Get an air hose and blow it out once you finish cutting for the day. He's right - you are restricting some airflow

YOU ARE WRONG! Untape it now...that's part of your saws air flow intake. Read the manual to your saw before you operate it again...it sounds like you need to. By the way...Congrats on your saw! You'll find additional things on cold weather operation in your manual. I'd tell you what it is...but, then you may not read it. If you've thrown it out...you can find them on eBay or buy a new one at your local STIHL dealer. See yah!

Last edited:
Have you pondered why you yourself called them "vent" holes? There is no liquid cooling on a chainsaw. Sheesh, takes all kinds. :buttkick: :crazy1:

off!!!!!

Take the tape off now or you will kill it!!!!! You are restricting all the airflow!!!! Even if it's -24 outside don't tape off the flywheel cover holes!!!:cry:

. anyway all the packaging and manuals are gone with the christmas trash so I have a bet with him that I am right and he is wrong so win me a beer.
/QUOTE]

Ok....unless you are pulling our legs....dig through the trash and get the manual,you need it!

And don't drink any beer! You don't need that! :greenchainsaw: :dizzy:

I only covered the front half of the holes where most of the dirt and saw dust can get in, the back by the handle is not taped up as much. guess I lose the bet. I was just trying to keep the saw nice and clean. thanks for the information.

At 15deg, what could it hurt? Not like that sucker is going to get that hot between beer breaks anyway, right?
I'd like to know where she got you a new 360, man is that a find!!! Nice score!!!
Not sure you will like the residue from the tape when you take it off, you may get a bunch of crap stuck to it latter. Nothing that won't come off in the dishwasher though!
Cut with that sucker, it's cold enough not be a big issue, go cut some wood!!

This tape is used for painting, it comes off real easy. will the adheasive mess things up?

This tape is used for painting, it comes off real easy. will the adheasive mess things up?

You know...if you're really interested in keeping it clean...you could keep it very clean by just never using it. But, I suspect that you plan on using it a lot...are you ever going to use it in warm weather? Going to keep it taped up then? Look at the majority of posts here and do yourself a favor and remove the tape...it'll save you the price of a saw in the long run. Do you want to bet a beer on that?

P.S Don't tell anyone I said this because it's a big secret..."chain saws get dirty!"

depends..maybe you could scratch and sniff it?

I know a guy that sticks tennis balls over his exhaust outlet........guess he's cuckoo....too

oooooo

Back