New MS461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got my MS461 yesterday. They are not yet available in this area, but this was the demo saw at the Paul Bunyan Show and my dealer was able to get it for me. I modded the muffler and trimmed the limiter tabs. I will be adding a dual-port muffler cover, dual dawgs, and a roller chain catcher next week. I'll be taking it to Wiggs next weekend, giving is something to compare the ported ones to that will be there.

[video=youtube_share;pfDkdotHzY8]http://youtu.be/pfDkdotHzY8[/video]

IMG9503-M.jpg

IMG9505-M.jpg

IMG9504-M.jpg

IMG9506-M.jpg

IMG9508-L.jpg

IMG9509-M.jpg

IMG9510-M.jpg

Nice looking saw Brad. Thought you were a full wrap man like me, though? What is the weight in comparison to the 460? No spring mounts like the 441?

I was at a few Stihl shops yesterday and they have 461s on the shelf here (suprises me we are ussually the last to get new saws). one of the dealers tells me he expects to see a new 661 prototype (cant think of the word he used) to test any day now. he says Stihl will send him a few to run hard and let him know how they hold up. i will be checking back in with him in a week or two to see if he has it.

What took you so long?! ;) I will be curious to hear your impressions after cutting with it. I continue to be impressed with my 461.

That's a great looking saw Brad. I notice that the top of the saw has no decals at all, no Magnum or 461 or anything else. I wonder why?

That's a great looking saw Brad. I notice that the top of the saw has no decals at all, no Magnum or 461 or anything else. I wonder why?

Remember this is a demo saw. However my dealer said there has been some consumer confusion with Stihl's marketing names and they may do away with some of the names altogether. The 4-mix was the first to go, as some thought four means four stroke, so you don't need to use mixed fuel.:dizzy: We've actually seen this before, the 360 had the mag, or was it pro name? The 361 and 362 do not. I really think all the pro saws should be called pro like some were in the passed, that would keep things simple IMHO.

Brad from what I've seen I really like the overall design of the 461, and the power makes it look like the new king of the hill in the 70cc to 80cc market. Still wish they had spring AV, but if the engine runs smooth it shouldn't be a big issue. If I may be so bold to predict the demise of the 441, as this saw will likely out sell the 441 in large numbers.

Last edited:
Remember this is a demo saw. However my dealer said there has been some consumer confusion with Stihl's marketing names and they may do away with some of the names altogether. The 4-mix was the first to go, as some thought four means four stroke, so you don't need to use mixed fuel.:dizzy: We've actually seen this before, the 360 had the mag, or was it pro name? The 361 and 362 do not. I really think all the pro saws should be called pro like some were in the passed, that would keep things simple IMHO.

Brad from what I've seen I really like the overall design of the 461, and the power makes it look like the new king of the hill in the 70cc to 80cc market. Still wish they had spring AV, but if the engine runs smooth it shouldn't be a big issue. If I may be so bold to predict the demise of the 441, as this saw will likely out sell the 441 in large numbers.

The MS360 was availablein pro and regular. The Pro had the adj oiler, just like the 260/260 pro. only difference... My thinking is that most people that cut firewood would only use an 18 or 20" on them, where as more use from a "pro"-vague word, from landscapers, tree work, etc would run longer bars and need a way for more oil... again just my thought...

Hasn't the Magnum name, been gone for a while, like 4-5 years? my 08 or 09 MS440 doesn't have any other "badging" on it...

Except the 461 is over a grand and the 441 is about 200$ less.

Except the 461 is over a grand and the 441 is about 200$ less.

Is the 461's engine design just an overgrown 361?

If so or either way if the 461 is making the claimed power and/or its higher than the 441 CM model, then it would be nice if they would add all of the comfort and ease of use that is built into the 441 CM, because they don't make a nicer saw than that to cut wood with.

Due to horrible fuel comsumption and bad AV, I never could get along with the 460 either stock or modded.

My dream years ago was always to have an overgrown 361, as that was the engine design that my saw builder really liked the most at that time.

Sam

Last edited:
I just like the looks of these saw's :cool2:

Agreed, dawgone sexy kinda looking machine you have there.

They should move the flippy cap instructions somewhere else. Its like an ugly tatoo on a hot girl.

Can't wait to see it cut.

Agreed, dawgone sexy kinda looking machine you have there.

They should move the flippy cap instructions somewhere else. Its like an ugly tatoo on a hot girl.

Can't wait to see it cut.

Yeah, but sometimes the nerdy kids need to read the directions for the bra straps before they can figure out how to get to the goods. Flippys are kinda like that, if you can't operate the cap, you have no business operating the machine.

I have a CAT 910 wheel loader with a forestry package on it. It has lift and unscrew fuel caps. I've had fuel deliver guys that have spent 15 minutes trying to unscrew the caps to get into the tanks and that is without the locks attached, LOL. Its a cap, figure it out, LOL.

Sam

Last edited:
I really like the looks and build of these 461s. I could easily see myself having one :help: in the future, but these no way I could pay over a grand for a new 70cc saw. I could get a 390xp or actually even a 395xp local for less than a 461. Im anxious to run them next weekend at Jeremys. I've done seen a ''sneak peek'' video of Scotts, it :rock::rock:!

I really like the looks and build of these 461s. I could easily see myself having one :help: in the future, but these no way I could pay over a grand for a new 70cc saw. I could get a 390xp or actually even a 395xp local for less than a 461. Im anxious to run them next weekend at Jeremys. I've done seen a ''sneak peek'' video of Scotts, it :rock::rock:!

My thoughts as well. I've been tempted to unload two of mine to try one, but then I get out to the woods and get that C-M grin. :rock:

Does look nice Brad. Will it get a wide clutch cover too?

The MS360 was availablein pro and regular. The Pro had the adj oiler, just like the 260/260 pro. only difference... My thinking is that most people that cut firewood would only use an 18 or 20" on them, where as more use from a "pro"-vague word, from landscapers, tree work, etc would run longer bars and need a way for more oil... again just my thought...

Hasn't the Magnum name, been gone for a while, like 4-5 years? my 08 or 09 MS440 doesn't have any other "badging" on it...

My 441R CM is a 2011 model and it has a Magnum decal on it so I guess the name is still around

Back